8800 GTS 512 MB deals $219 BFG OC at Frys / PNY XLR8 at BestBuy

NACZ3

Gawd
Fry's San Diego Ad shows the BFG 8800 GTS 512 MB OC on sale for $219 after $35 mail in rebate. The ad says 254 for the price but I was in the store yesterday and thought the tag that was up said 249.

EDIT: Best Buy's ad print says GT but with the pic of PNY 8800 GTS XLR8 512 MB box for $219 (after 60 savings--it doesn't say rebate so I'm assuming that is the out the door price.) BB's website shows the PNY 8800 GT only available online so YMMV on this deal if you try to bring in the ad. Sorry, didn't notice the print--pic of the box is what stuck with me in the ad when I posted.

I don't need them as I already have 2 8800 GTs in SLI but these look like good deals.

Fry's San Diego Ad shows the BFG 8800 GTS 512 MB OC on sale for $219 after $35 mail in rebate. The ad says 254 for the price but I was in the store yesterday and thought the tag that was up said 249.

Best Buy's ad shows the PNY 8800 GTS XLR8 512 MB for $219 (after 60 savings--it doesn't say rebate so I'm assuming that is the out the door price.)

I don't need them as I already have 2 8800 GTs in SLI but these look like good deals.
Actually, the bby ad shows the 8800GT 512, not the gts

The ad shows a picture of the PNY 8800GTS, so even though the text says "8800GT" it would be false advertisement to sell the GTS for a higher price. Even the website has the 8800GTS box shown for $219.99 here.
0413BA05A001P1_img_236536015.jpg

According to the Best Buy website, the PNY 8800GT is Available Online Only for $299.99 while the PNY 8800GTS is $249.99. You should be able to walk into Best Buy, grab an ad and the PNY 8800GTS pictured and see what you can do. The law should be on your side in small claims court.

I'm sure somewhere they have some small print that says that they aren't responsible for any mistakes in their ads. It's just like the recent online Dell and Walmart listings where they had good prices, took orders, and later canceled them. It seems like businesses now have all of the power again and it's the consumer that gets the shaft.

The ad shows a picture of the PNY 8800GTS, so even though the text says "8800GT" it would be false advertisement to sell the GTS for a higher price. Even the website has the 8800GTS box shown for $219.99 here.

According to the Best Buy website, the PNY 8800GT is Available Online Only for $299.99 while the PNY 8800GTS is $249.99. You should be able to walk into Best Buy, grab an ad and the PNY 8800GTS pictured and see what you can do. The law should be on your side in small claims court.

The picture in the ad is a misprint. I noticed it right off the bat and cringed. Of course some one will try to shove it in Best Buy's face and make them honor it. Retailers are held to beyond human expectations and thus human mistakes are not tolerated....

I hate false advertising as much as the next man, however. If you get your local BBY to honor it, I wouldn't fault you for it. There was a time when I would do the exact same thing. After working in retail for a few years, I understand how it is on both sides of the fence and I guess I'm a little more forgiving than some. It DOES say in the ad on the print that the 8800GT is for sale, not the GTS, and when the provided sku is entered, the correct model and price come up.

The sale is for the 8800GT, and I have verified prices with my local store who has them in stock at $219. They have no PNY GTS cards in the store. Maybe if your store has the GTS in stock you can shove the ad in their faces and get them to honor it. If they print a correction notice and put it in a visible location, however, you and your small claims laywer are SOL.

I have seen the printed ad, and the photo in it is of the GTS. Tsk tsk...

now that the 8800gts has been discontinued I bet they get real cheap

Are you still in high school? You clearly don't know much about the law and retail if you even want to bring up suing bestbuy over a misprint or a mistake. There is always fine print that lets them back out of a mistake. They are not allowed to misrepresent or deceive the customer. That's where things get cloudy, are they trying to do it on purpose or was it just an honest mistake.

Better yet, why don't you just avoid the whole going to small claims court thing by ordering it online through the link you provided and use in-store pickup? Or why not buy the EVGA 8800GTS for $219 AR that has been posted since most will not be taxed. Just save yourself the headache from suing BB over a videocard which you can get for $219 through another retailer.

Lol. You're far from the bar, huh.
A store can advertise anything they want for the wrong price, and get away with selling it for a higher price because of a mistake. It would be too hard for anyone to prove who was at fault for the typo.
Anyone that takes a store to a Small Claims Court for a mis-printed ad needs to get a life.

Lol. You're far from the bar, huh.
A store can advertise anything they want for the wrong price, and get away with selling it for a higher price because of a mistake. It would be too hard for anyone to prove who was at fault for the typo.
Anyone that takes a store to a Small Claims Court for a mis-printed ad needs to get a life.

Yeah. Everybody makes mistakes. I think retailers should be held to a little higher standard, but this mistake is at least covered by the fact that the actual product listed and sku listed match the correct price, even if the picture is incorrect. A lot of those pictures are autogenerated by a large database. A picture incorrectly entered months ago could now suddenly be popping up in the sale ad in this region. Even a keen editor misses an error once in a while.

Personally, instead of trying to get BB to honor it, just buy the eVGA.

Why? Because PNY is shit.

Espically their warranties. Lifetime warranty my butt! Lifetime of the receipt maybe.

And your SOL otherwise. I bought a piece of RAM of theirs that wont work anymore. I bought it from CompUSA. I told them this.

They told me to contact the store to get a new receipt. :mad:

Newegg has an MSI 8800GTS 512 for $199 AR. Why bother with anything else?

Back