8800 GTS - $50-75 budget - HELP!

Chubz

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I may be getting a 8800 GTS (640mb) card soon, but I'll need a new PSU to power it. (My PC only uses a 300w Bestec one right now.)

So first of all, I'll go ahead and ask about this one:

ePower ZU-550w PSU
$54.99
17-101-021-02.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101021

Would that PSU be powerful enough for my 8800 GTS + my PC?

With the 8800 GTS, these would be the final specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2 GB DDR RAM
8800 GTS (640mb)
Lightscribe DVD R/RW Drive
320 GB HD

If not, could you please recommend me some good PSU's within my budget that'd easily power my PC? I don't know a whole lot about PSU's so hopefully some of you can help me out. :(

Dude that PSU link is a link to a almost 400 dollar psu.

Make sure the PSU has I think 24A on its 12V rail and should probably be around 500-550w psu min for the 8800.

EDIT: I took a look at the actual PSU you have a pic of. 20A on the 12V and 20A on the 2nd 12V rail, it might work but from what I hear the 8800 is a power hog.

Dude that PSU link is a link to a almost 400 dollar psu.

Make sure the PSU has I think 24A on its 12V rail and should probably be around 500-550 min for the 8800.

EDIT: I took a look at the actual PSU you have a pic of. 20A on the 12V, it might work but from what I hear the 8800 is a power hog.

LOL I apologize for that.. I corrected the link. :D :D

Also, since the 8800 is a power hog, could you recommend any others within the $ 50-75 price range?

Well I can't be certain but that one probably would work, ah frys was doing a 600w psu thatd do it with a 65 dollar rebate, i forget if its still on but it was the ultra 600w psu. The only downside to that is its a 70% energy efficient so if your a nature person or concerned with electric costs ( which wouldn't be that much higher) than it might be bad but still a free 600w psu is nice if the promo is still on.

you need 26A 400w to run a 8800GTS

get a Corsair H520
its 119 dollars but its a very nice psu for the money
its worth it

LOL I apologize for that.. I corrected the link. :D :D

Also, since the 8800 is a power hog, could you recommend any others within the $ 50-75 price range?

Please don`t cheap out on your PSU....
The corsair that is being recommended is a nice PSU!!
That 8800 deserves better than a $50 -$75 PSU!!

I got my 520H when there was a 20 dollar rebate on it =). If you look around or wait you may find something.

If you can't afford a decent PSU, get teh 320 8800 and put the left over toward the 520HX

Second the recommendation for the XClio GoodPower 500watt. Best "budget" PSU there is, usually around $50 without a rebate. If you can afford it, sure more expensive stuff is better, but it should fit the bill.

The thing with PSUs isn't if they're "Powerful enough" so much as if the power they provide is good, clean, reliable power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189005

My xclio 450 rocks. It's a great solid build and runs quiet and efficient. It was 39 when I bought it, but newegg doesn't sell that model anymore.

This is a link to the 500w.

Second the recommendation for the XClio GoodPower 500watt. Best "budget" PSU there is, usually around $50 without a rebate. If you can afford it, sure more expensive stuff is better, but it should fit the bill.

The thing with PSUs isn't if they're "Powerful enough" so much as if the power they provide is good, clean, reliable power.

Thank you very much for these suggestions .. I'll look over these two PSU's and make a decision.

Much appreciated!!!! ;)

I would buy a fsp or forton psu. they are the oem producer of lots of good psus

get a Corsair 520

i ran a 8800GTS 320 on a shitty psu and i got artifacts and laggy gameplay
it sucked ass so i went out and bought a new psu
and i don''t get that problem anymore
i actually have more stablity
which is priceless

The only experience i have had with power supplies so far are the following brands.

Enermax: Never had a problem with them and they have excellent features that other powersupplies lack,, I would highly recommend just about anyone,, Noisetaker series is what I have now, and its quite nice and quiet, and has a few extra features like fan staying on for awhile after comp is turned off to cool it down.

Antec: Used quite a few of them, they are ok, nothing fancy.

And i have just recently ordered an 620w Corsair, so i have no experience with it yet, but i have read some good reviews, and its modular which is somthing i look forward too, thats main reasons, why i bought it.

One thing you might want to consider that you may not have thought of is the size of the powersupply case.. Keep in mind that they are not all the same length, so check the specs on size and make sure it will fit in your case.. also add some extra space (few cm) to total lenth for bend radius of cables comming out of the box. As it would be a shame if your new PS didnt even fit in your case.

Get this one:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1201284

It's a quality PS. There's a couple reviews in the thread there. Normally retails for ~$90, but at that price, it's worth grabbing.

Someone posted quotes in that thread from a review, that said it was missing a PCIE connectors.. so if your purpose of buying a PS is to power your new 8800, you should avoid this, unless you want to also buy molex to pcie adaptor.. and still i personally would avoid doing this.

Again i would also stick to more reputable brands, and i would try and find somthing that has had more reviews with more info.

The Xclio or Rosewill should be good. JonnyGuru is a very good website for reviews of power supplies and they were impressed with the Rosewill.

Antec makes some value PSU's that are great, I've had multiple, with only a 350w model that died after years of hard use and being pushed beyond what it should have been.

Thermaltake hasn't let me down.

I'll throw a vote out for X-clio as well, i'm rocking the 450 version.

here. I got what you need, no offence to you guys, but skymtl is like the god of PSU's lol(he's trusted by everyone at th NCIX site as one of the top PSU guys). heres his review on budget psu's in your price range, read through it.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardwarecanuck-reviews/513-skymtls-budget-psu-roundup.html

but if I may please spend a little more on a good PSU. Heres another good review by SKY

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardwarecanuck-reviews/695-skymtls-500w-sub-105-psu-roundup.html

There were like 20 posts on this that got deleted.... plus I think the OP bought his power supply a while ago ;)

Back