8800 G92 GTS seems too hot...

squatpuke

Limp Gawd
So I just installed my new G92 GTS 8800....brand new build (Corsair 620HX psu, E6750, 4GB's Crucial 6400, Abit AB9 Quad GT)

Installed the disk that came in the box, then dl'd NTune and the temperature is sitting at 73 degrees Celsius...

The driver installed is 6.14.11.6906

and it has the stock BIOS...not sure how to figure which BIOS i'm running, but I thought I remembered reading how peeps were getting HOT cards until they flashed to a new bios...can someone confirm...

Is 73 too hot? That's just sittin there on XPP...no games, no stress....

Thanks for your reply...

Mine idled at 77 or so, and was 85 under load. I called BFG, and they said not to worry as long as it was under 100. Nevertheless, I was still uncomfortable with such high temperatures, so I altered the fan control parameters in RivaTuner in Windows to make the fans go at 50% in idle, and up to 65% under load. Now, it idles in the mid 60's and goes to 73 or so under load. (Under Linux, I use the latest nvclock to set the fan to a constant 50%.)

The best part is that at 60% and below, it is still inaudible beneath the sound of my case fans. YMMV depending on what kind of cooling and noise your case fans provide.

Mine doesn't go over 65c under load and it idles at 50c and thats with it overclocked 830/2020/2100 I am starting to wonder if my card is some freak of nature or what...they report similiar temps as you in [H] review. My 8800GT on the other hand idled at 65c and did get up around 80 under load.

Very strange.

Ok...seems the NTune fan speed was set to auto....29%

I switched to manual fan control, jacked it up to 80% and the GPU temp shot down to 37....

However, every time I reboot...NTune reverts back to that auto setting.

I've heard NTune sucks puttyballs....and I should use rivatuner...but then I've also read that you must do some hacks to get RT to see the GTS G92...

I'm gettin more confused by the minute...

Can I run NTune and Riva together?

Every time I've heard nTune mentioned, I also hear "avoid it like the plague" mentioned. You need to edit one line in one text file to get RivaTuner to recognize the 8800 GTS 512MB, that's it. Not exactly rocket science. Namely, setting the G92 line of RivaTuner.cfg to "G92 = 610h-61Fh,600h" (see details here). And there's a setting to run at Windows startup, and another setting to reapply fan settings when waking up from hibernation. Then you're all set in terms of applying the fan settings automatically.

It's recommended that you use the built-in fan controller rather than profiles for the 8800 GTS 512MB. To do that, you need to go to the "Power User" tab, go to the "RivaTuner \ Fan" section, and set AutoFanSpeedControl to 3. Then you can edit the low-level fan settings. Make sure you understand what you're doing first before you do that; look at this Guru3D forum thread for that. The settings I use are:

Code:
Duty cycle min: 50
Duty cycle max: 100
T min: 58
T range: 32
T operating: 85
T low limit: 0
T high limit 85

Play around with it (after understanding what each one does) to find what works best for you though.

It takes a little bit of work and time to set it up, but once you do, you'll never have to worry about it again.

I've had the opposite experience. NTune worked for me, at default, far better than RivaTuner. RivaTuner does not remember to reset the fan to readjust itself, and since NTune had been doing that for me, I was baffled after I finally got it to recognize the card that it kept crashing. That said, once you figure it out, Riva is the more versatile tool.

Also, I idle at 50-52, load at 65. Anything above that and it's crash time. Are we just getting totally different temperature readings? The size of the range seems the same, but the actual temperature and tolerance cannot possibly be that different.

Mine's an XFX Alpha Dog, if that makes any difference at all...

Mine doesn't go over 65c under load and it idles at 50c and thats with it overclocked 830/2020/2100 I am starting to wonder if my card is some freak of nature or what...they report similiar temps as you in [H] review. My 8800GT on the other hand idled at 65c and did get up around 80 under load.

Very strange.

Actually, now that I reread this - did you do anything special to overclock it that much? I can keep the temperature down just fine, but it's just not stable for me above 770 or so. That's a monster OC you've got going there.

Also, 2100? IE, 2x 1050?

Also, I idle at 50-52, load at 65. Anything above that and it's crash time. Are we just getting totally different temperature readings? The size of the range seems the same, but the actual temperature and tolerance cannot possibly be that different.

There should be two temperatures reported by the graphics card: core and ambient. The temps I was quoting were core temperatures. Ambient temperatures are around 15 degrees lower than core temperatures, for me at least. Your figures sound about right for ambients (though mine could handle a core temperature of 85/ambient of 70 just fine, I upped the fan just to be safe). Either that, or if those really are core temperatures, you have either stellar case cooling or are really lucky with the card that you got!

There should be two temperatures reported by the graphics card: core and ambient. The temps I was quoting were core temperatures. Ambient temperatures are around 15 degrees lower than core temperatures, for me at least. Your figures sound about right for ambients (though mine could handle a core temperature of 85/ambient of 70 just fine, I upped the fan just to be safe). Either that, or if those really are core temperatures, you have either stellar case cooling or are really lucky with the card that you got!

Well, since Bluehaze and I are running precisely the same card, both XFX, is it the temperature monitoring? I'm basing this on...well, everything - NTune, HWMonitor, Riva, all give me those readings. So it must be the card monitoring differently, or cooling far better.

edit: And I do have very good case cooling, <3 p182.

Well, since Bluehaze and I are running precisely the same card, both XFX, is it the temperature monitoring? I'm basing this on...well, everything - NTune, HWMonitor, Riva, all give me those readings. So it must be the card monitoring differently, or cooling far better.

edit: And I do have very good case cooling, <3 p182.

XFX vs EVGA vs BFG makes no difference, other than maybe the factory overclock (most of which are similar). NVIDIA contracts out TSMC (I think) to make them all, then the "manufacturer" just slaps their label on it.

Riva should have two readings for you, clearly marked as "Core" or "Ambient". PC Wizard also gives both. HWMonitor appears to have the Core temperature only. Not sure about nTune, as I don't have it installed. ;)

Your case very well might make a big difference. I have a Lian-Li PC-65. Breathtakingly beautiful to look at (IMHO), but not the best cooling or the quietest fans on the planet. ;) When I eventually get a new case, I'll try to balance looks with functionality a bit more. Though quiet generally is more important than cool for me, as long as I can run stock (or a moderate overclock at most) alright.

Actually, now that I reread this - did you do anything special to overclock it that much? I can keep the temperature down just fine, but it's just not stable for me above 770 or so. That's a monster OC you've got going there.

Also, 2100? IE, 2x 1050?

Nope, just setup a profile for the fan and unlinked the core/shader clocks in Riva Tuner. Unlinking the clocks allows the core to go much higher and I haven't seen any adverse effects from it just better performance.Most of the threads I have read until recently had pretty much everyone able to get to 800mhz. I wonder if something has changed recently with the cards?

As far as Temps go those are core temps, Case is a Lian Li v1000b with an extra scythe s-flex intake in a fan module in the front of the case. Case temps range between 37c idle up to around 41c load with a q6600 overclocked to 3.8ghz.

Nope, just setup a profile for the fan and unlinked the core/shader clocks in Riva Tuner. Unlinking the clocks allows the core to go much higher and I haven't seen any adverse effects from it just better performance.Most of the threads I have read until recently had pretty much everyone able to get to 800mhz. I wonder if something has changed recently with the cards?

Yeah, nVidia's binning the higher OC chips for the new 9800GX2 :D

Yah mine idles at 70-73C depending on ambient at 29% fan. However it never goes over 81C. I've noticed that the auto fan doesn't ramp up until the core temp reaches about 78C.

Even though it runs fine on auto. I too resorted to rivatuner to edit the min duty fan to 50%. Now idles at 49C and loads in upper 50s. Amazing what 500rpm increase will do to temp.

Has anyone bothered to redo the thermal paste on their card yet? I redid my old GTS 320 with AS5 instead of the craptacular thermal pads and dropped temps about 10C across the board, i havent gotten around to doing it yet on my 512's but i'm wondering if anyone has had any success with that.

Also, my cards tend to idle around 45ish and load up around 65 with all standard settings.

Has anyone bothered to redo the thermal paste on their card yet? I redid my old GTS 320 with AS5 instead of the craptacular thermal pads and dropped temps about 10C across the board, i havent gotten around to doing it yet on my 512's but i'm wondering if anyone has had any success with that.

Also, my cards tend to idle around 45ish and load up around 65 with all standard settings.

sounds like a good idea....

Back