8700K wants 1.42V for 5Ghz

christal

n00b
Hi guys,

I am using Asrock Z370 Taichi with this CPU and 64 Gigs of 3200 RAM with XMP loaded. As I wrote in the title the CPU wants 1.42 Vcore to run at 5Ghz with offset voltage +70 and LLC-1 in UEFI v.1.30

My questions are - is it too much to use it 24/7? My cooler is Noctua D15 and the CPU is delidded, but in PRIME 95 temps are reaching around 85 degrees C.. The oher thing is that voltage and frequency remain fixed in Windows, despite the fact that I use offset voltage. The frequency also stays at 5ghz. Is this because of the High performance power plan in Windows? I get this even with C1E, C3, C6 and C7 power states enabled in BIOS.

Please, give some insight and share your experience, if possible.

Thank you!

1.42 is a little high I think. Sandy bridge was reported to be degrading within a few years at a constant 1.4V...

I wouldn't worry about Prime 95 temps, their not real world temps. I would try to stay under 1.4v. Maybe lowering your RAM to 3000 in XMP would allow you to OC your processor to the desired frequency with less voltage.

For the constant 5ghz frequency issue, you want to change BIOS settings to adaptive under your OC settings on your processor, look for the "Force Constant Voltage" option and uncheck it. You don't ever want to force the maximum voltage 24/7, all the new processors by default have an adaptive feature so they only use extra current when needed.

If you can't find it, load default settings and save, but you'll have to set your voltage and processor Overclocks again.

Last edited:
1.42v is a bit high for 5ghz but in terms of safety it's fine. Silicon Lottery runs 5.2ghz @ 1.425v and recommends that for indefinite operation. Also, unless you are folding 24/7 or something like that, most of the time your CPU will not have enough current running through it to even qualify as stressful. So long term it doesn't really matter. I've never seen a report of degradation on Sky Lake+ under 1.5v. Yes, some people run their CPUs at 1.5v or higher.

Also, yes, temps in prime95 don't mean anything. That temp is entirely normal for that voltage and cooling solution. I am personally running 5.2ghz @ 1.43v since December.

1.36v for 5.0, no delid. H115i Pro. -2 AVX offset.

Use your negative AVX offset - it’s there for a reason. Massive voltage decrease required to run 5.0 if you just take it down 200Mhz.

What AVX workloads do you run?

I’m at or over 1.40v to run AVX @ 5.0.

Reactions: MTDEW
like this
Back