8600GT for dual-core 3600+ on Gigabyte GA-M61SME?

If you are looking for a purely budget system (and I assume that budget is a major consideration if you are buying a new 3600 as even a little more $ will get you a better processor), the 8600gt is not a bad choice. I have a silent pipe version that handles most games half decently. Yes a 3850 will give you far better performance, but at almost twice the cost.

He can always learn how to overclock his proccessor so it will run much faster. I have my 3600 to 2.9ghz and it runs my 3870 really nicely and I'm getting about the same results as other people with quads and stuff.

He can always learn how to overclock his proccessor so it will run much faster. I have my 3600 to 2.9ghz and it runs my 3870 really nicely and I'm getting about the same results as other people with quads and stuff.

Yeah, I figured I'd let the future owner of the system decide on that. It's been a long time since I did any overclocking and I'm thinking it's about time to try it on my Conroe.

Are you the one who has a problem with Sapphire before?

Anyway you can get much more performance with this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161211

Yep. I wouldn't buy Sapphire again and I'm less likely to buy ATi no matter who the AIB partner is. I see the warranty on the HIS card is only one year. XFX is limited lifetime.

After playing games with Sapphire for over two months I'm concerned about company warranties and reputations. I will probably stick with eVGA, XFX and other companies with good warranties and decent reputations. I told the kid I'm building this for I will "sacrifice" performance for a good warranty. He gets it. :)

I would look into AMD 9400 phenom quad core that they got for 149.99 at compusa not sure newegg gotem or hearing the 9400 was perrty cheap thes days and able to handel alot more than thes duel core,that up to you but the 3600+ is alittle to cheap for me. a 4200+ might be better off than the 3600+. that 8600GT is alot faster than my 7800GT handel alota DX10 games i got a freind who bought a 8600GT but it was from MSI it was allright card.played all game top at 4AA 6AA but 8AA start lagging alittle just like my 7800GT at 4AA. that depens on how much you wana spend on CPU and video card you can get cheap CPU and a better video card like 8800GT and top all the game at 8AA.16AA on some older games. Hope your not running this on a 46" HDTV LCD hehe.

Back