8600 GTS/GT only has 32 Stream Processors! :(

Or in other words, about level with a 7950 GT. For $150 what do you expect?

Probably even less. 128bit bus and only 32 processors for vertex pixel ect. is going to really hurt it.

48 Stream processors and a 192bit bus would have made a great 200$ price point part. Oh well. It's all or nothing I guess.

Overclocked it can just barely match the 7900 GT, stock wise I wonder if it will even outperform the 7900 GS, and being introduced at $199 that is a bit of a tough pill to swallow.

Yeah, You could sell a 7950gt on ebay for that much and get a 8600. You don't pay a dime and get dx10 support. Not bad

Well, dx10 now? Who really cares. In a few months it will be nice.

If previous posters are correct and it's like a 7900GS who cares if it's dx 10 for $200!!! If it's like a 7900 GT it is nice.Then with a slight OC it could do some damage!

http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=409794#post409794

This is a bit of a let down, this means performance would be at best 45% of the 8800 GTS 320.

I don't believe those news at all. As I've said in a similar thread, NVIDIA's different card models, always differed from each other, based on the amount of pipelines/stream processors and/or amount of Video RAM. They never differentiated their products based on clock and memory frequencies only.
As far as rumors go, I still believe in the 8600 GTS 64 SPs, in 256 MB and 512 MB flavors, while the 8600 GT will be the one with 32 SPs.
If it's in fact 32 SPs for the 8600 GTS, I highly doubt they'll sell it for more than $200, which means that a 8800 GS/8900 GS will be coming soon after, to take the $250 price range.

Whether this news is true or not, all Dx10 cards slower than GTS 320 are pointless. Who really believes they will be able to play new gen games with these cards?

Releasing such weak cards saturates the market with slow cards and developers program for them, slowing down the process of reaching photorealistic games. If GTS/GTX prices were lowered instead of releasing such useless cards, developers could program better looking games, knowing everyone can play them.

Whether this news is true or not, all Dx10 cards slower than GTS 320 are pointless. Who really believes they will be able to play new gen games with these cards?

Well since people use Crysis for the poster child of DX10, and looking back in to the not so distant past at Far Cry and what people could get Far Cry to run on (*cough* GF4 MX, i.e. crap), I beg to differ with that statement.

DISCLAIMER:
The above post is conjecture, however, it is replying to a post that is also conjecture.

Releasing such weak cards saturates the market with slow cards and developers program for them, slowing down the process of reaching photorealistic games. If GTS/GTX prices were lowered instead of releasing such useless cards, developers could program better looking games, knowing everyone can play them.

That doesn't make sense, Games can't be made just for the high-end market. These cards will be powerful enough to run current and first batch of future games very well, given that you sacrifice some eye candy and resolution in the process. For no more than $200, that's what you get.

This has been true for a while and in this generation, it will be no different. If you want the best, the high-end is the only place to go. If you want to play with acceptable quality, but don't really care if everything is turned to max, then mid-range cards are your best bet.

I just wanna meet the guy that keeps leaking all this info all over the place i bet hes a super cool ninja spy! :rolleyes:

Realistically hes a marketing guy paid to tip off certain people to grow anticipation or test the market. Pretty obvious its marketing considering how correct the rumor mill was previous to the G80 release the Nvidia camp knows how to build anticipation thats for sure.

I don't believe those news at all. As I've said in a similar thread, NVIDIA's different card models, always differed from each other, based on the amount of pipelines/stream processors and/or amount of Video RAM. They never differentiated their products based on clock and memory frequencies only.
As far as rumors go, I still believe in the 8600 GTS 64 SPs, in 256 MB and 512 MB flavors, while the 8600 GT will be the one with 32 SPs.
If it's in fact 32 SPs for the 8600 GTS, I highly doubt they'll sell it for more than $200, which means that a 8800 GS/8900 GS will be coming soon after, to take the $250 price range.

Yes Nvidia has, Ti4200 to Ti4600, 6800 GT vs 6800 Ultra, 6600 to 6600 GT, 7600 GS to 7600 GT etc etc etc...

Yes Nvidia has, Ti4200 to Ti4600, 6800 GT vs 6800 Ultra, 6600 to 6600 GT, 7600 GS to 7600 GT etc etc etc...

No. 7600 GS and 7600 GT are different in more than clock and memory frequencies. The memory type used is different. The GT uses faster GDDR3 memory, while the GS uses GDDR2. I don't remember the differences between the Ti's, though it is true for the 6800 GT/Ultra, But what I was trying to say is that it's not what NVIDIA usually does, hence why I don't believe this rumor of the 8600 GTS having only 32 SPs, unless a 8800 GS is on its way, with 64 SPs, in the very near future.

This is how card makers pay the bills, sell overpriced mid-range cards to people who don't have the time or inclination to look up benchmarks.

I too seriously doubt its validity.

I was reading those posts yesterday. NV would be shooting themselves in the foot if they sold a card like that for such a price.

No. 7600 GS and 7600 GT are different in more than clock and memory frequencies. The memory type used is different. The GT uses faster GDDR3 memory, while the GS uses GDDR2. I don't remember the differences between the Ti's, though it is true for the 6800 GT/Ultra, But what I was trying to say is that it's not what NVIDIA usually does, hence why I don't believe this rumor of the 8600 GTS having only 32 SPs, unless a 8800 GS is on its way, with 64 SPs, in the very near future.

Different memory type doesn't really impact the performance differences, it's the clock frequencies that do, hence they are effectively the same. The only reason why GDDR3 was used on the 7600 GT is because GDDR2 ends at 1.1GHZ or so, and the lowest grade of GDDR3 is 1.0GHZ.

The Core and memory configuration are functionally identical both have the same core pipes and memory amount configuration.

This close to launch it is very hard to doubt the validity of these new rumors for me.

http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=409794#post409794

This is a bit of a let down, this means performance would be at best 45% of the 8800 GTS 320.

You guys do realize that those benchmarks are running at 1600x1200 too, right?

Who in their right mind would use ANY 128bus width, 256mb card at that resolution? Thats simply ludicrous.

I still think its going to perform reasonably at 1200x1000ish. You'll obviously have to limit the AA/AF, but if your playing at that resolution then your probably playing (hopefully) on a rather small monitor and AA isnt going to be as much of a problem.

Yeah, I don't see how people expect an overclocked 8600 to outperform the 8800 series cards 0_o

Just because the 8600s came out later chronologically, it doesn't mean they are faster...

The indicator is price. When an 8600 at 40% capability of an 8800 320 is 95% of the price, then that's a problem.

GF3
GF3ti200
GF3ti500

GF4 4200
GF4 4400
GF4 4600
GF4 4800se
GF4 4800

Many of the FX line...

6 series changed that.

Yeah, You could sell a 7950gt on ebay for that much and get a 8600. You don't pay a dime and get dx10 support. Not bad

Thats what im planning on doing assuming the 8600s ARE at least that fast.

GF3
GF3ti200
GF3ti500

GF4 4200
GF4 4400
GF4 4600
GF4 4800se
GF4 4800

Many of the FX line...

6 series changed that.

One should judge a company by what it has been doing for the last couple of years, not what it has done before that...So again, it's not what NVIDIA usually does and I find it hard to believe that a 8600 GTS for $250, only has 32 SPs. It will either cost $200 or less, or it will have 64 SPs. There's also a third option, if the GTS ends up having 32 SPs, which is a 8800 GS, that will be out pretty soon, with 64 SPs and take the $250 price range.

^^^^^^^

A lot of people must work for nVidia's marketing department and be privy to insider information that the rest of us are not aware about.

One should judge a company by what it has been doing for the last couple of years, not what it has done before that...So again, it's not what NVIDIA usually does and I find it hard to believe that a 8600 GTS for $250, only has 32 SPs. It will either cost $200 or less, or it will have 64 SPs. There's also a third option, if the GTS ends up having 32 SPs, which is a 8800 GS, that will be out pretty soon, with 64 SPs and take the $250 price range.

No there are indeed designed to be MSRP $199US for the basic version and probably $229 for the bundles and OC editions.

There are some minor differences if you wanna be picky compared to the 8600 GT, in the fact that this card has 8 layer PCB for higher power delivery of the 71W TDP envelope, and external power connector, and a better fan. These things affect performance indirectly though.

At least that is our hope that there will be something in the MSRP $249 price point that bridges the gap between the 8600 GTS and 8800 GTS, but it isn't a gurantee look at the gap between the 8800 GTS 640 and 8800 GTX, that is pretty large in itself and there is so far no bridge product.

64SP wouldn't work as that is far too close to the 8800 GTS 320.

Back