850W PSU Recommendations Please!

fausto412

Limp Gawd
I just got a FREE AMD Radeon 6990 engineering sample...GREAT!

The only problem is my PSU is 550 watts and has no 8 pin plugs....so I came here to get recommendations for great power supplies in the 100 to 150 dollar range. Looking for 4 6+2 pci-e connectors, good warranty, long cables, unsure about modular.

I've read a few reviews but they talk a lot about stuff i don't know enough about.

So if you could be so kind and list what 850 watts PSU I should get and why. :D

Lepa G700 or PCP&C Silencer 760 for sa single 6990, both great deals on newegg..

Why do you need 4x PCIe connectors?

If you really want a 850W PSU, I would recommend the Corsair AX850.
80+ Gold, fully modular, very good overall. (If $ is not an issue, of course)

My past 3 builds have been Corsair PSUs. Can't complain. I used to use XFX for awhile but I just stopped.

Just make sure you get an 80+ Gold one and it will be fine.

Lepa G700 or PCP&C Silencer 760 for sa single 6990, both great deals on newegg..

Why do you need 4x PCIe connectors?

Thank you.
The 6990 requires 750 Watts...so Ii figure it is more future proof to get 850.
The reason for the 4x pcie connectors is also about future proofing. I would be ok with just 2 cables but I have learned that i need to plan for the long haul, even options i didn't consider i would entertain such as crossfire. If i had a motherboard with 2 pci-e slots i would be doing crossfire fight now, won't make that mistake again.

Wow. Very nice. A good 750 PSU should be fine for you though.

Hmm. I would go with the Seasonic X750. Amazing products.

GL. :)

^^ Wow. The Silencer is a great deal right now.

how are the PC&P products doing since OCZ took over the brand?

If you really want a 850W PSU, I would recommend the Corsair AX850.
80+ Gold, fully modular, very good overall. (If $ is not an issue, of course)

It's a little bit pricy. I qwant to stay below $150.

Thank you.
The 6990 requires 750 Watts...
It doesn't :)
The card barely touches 400W in gaming and will always stay below 500W in Furmark, in fact a Seasonic X 560 will easily run a 6990 on any platform except maybe a X58/Gulftown combo;)
Both units suggested will give you ample room for any upgrades(HDD/SSD, soundcard, fans, water cooling etc) and will never reach full load unless you're adding another 6970 for a trifire setup;)
The Lepa G700 has the efficiency advantage being a gold unit(Enermax Modu 87+ inside) and is modular, it's what I'd go for.

And yeah I know the official recommendation, just ignore it, is for those who can't figure out a PSU label and understand that the 750W shiny new Apevia/Coolmax/Diablotek/shit PSU they bought is in fact a 500W unit, a very poor one too :)
how are the PC&P products doing since OCZ took over the brand?
The Silncer 760 uses an excellent Seasonic platform(S12D) and does come with a 7 year warranty.. however, it isn't modular and that can be tricky considering the amount of cables a 750W unit of this caliber has.

If you are thinking 850W and want modular, plus your other wishes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

You cannot get a better PSU for the price at 850W.
There are many better PSUs for the money, one actually linked just above your post which besides being better is also a lot cheaper ;)

That 6990 if overclocked to 6970 speeds will pull some watts: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/03/07/amd_radeon_hd_6990_antilles_video_card_review/8

850 is a good choice.:D
Poor conclusion.. after you factor in efficiency you get below 550W actual power draw for the 6990 system @ full load, making the 850W choice anything but good;)

I hope it works out, i just ordered it. jonnyguru says good but I was hoping for more newegg reviews.

I would take a JonnyGuru review over 1000 crappy Newegg reviews anytime. If JonnyGuru and [H] says it is good, then it is good, and they have the proper equipment/experience to back that up. The best thing I can say for Newegg reviews is figuring out longevity (hardly applicable since it is a new unit) and customer service response.

I just bought a Corsair TX850M. It's pretty nice. Does it fit your bill?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139029

it's on my list of finalists. just not sure about modular. have used a couple and use up using every cable...so what's the point? i have 5 Hard drives totaling 4.32 TB, Q9550 cpu, and when i change psu my gpu will go from 5870 to 6990. I want to get a psu that is better than the 60 dollar tp3-550 i got like 4 years ago...so it can take me 5 years into the future.

There are many better PSUs for the money, one actually linked just above your post which besides being better is also a lot cheaper ;)

Poor conclusion.. after you factor in efficiency you get below 550W actual power draw for the 6990 system @ full load, making the 850W choice anything but good;)

a little extra room doesn't hurt.

If you are thinking 850W and want modular, plus your other wishes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

You cannot get a better PSU for the price at 850W.

That 6990 if overclocked to 6970 speeds will pull some watts: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/03/07/amd_radeon_hd_6990_antilles_video_card_review/8

850 is a good choice.:D
the 850 hx is outside my price range. :mad:

I would take a JonnyGuru review over 1000 crappy Newegg reviews anytime. If JonnyGuru and [H] says it is good, then it is good, and they have the proper equipment/experience to back that up. The best thing I can say for Newegg reviews is figuring out longevity (hardly applicable since it is a new unit) and customer service response.

i just discovered johnny guru lol

I hope it works out, i just ordered it. jonnyguru says good but I was hoping for more newegg reviews.

only reason that their aren't more newegg reviews is that the antec hcp 850's normal price is $210

here are more pro reviews

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...ro-850w-power-supply-review-introduction.html

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/03/30/antec_high_current_pro_850w_power_supply_review/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/p...ec-high-current-pro-850w-power-supply-review/

People love Corsair for their excellent customer service and the fact that they would go out of their way, even if they're not obligated to, to make sure their customers are satisfied. Otherwise, their PSU's are just like everyone else's that are based on the same platform.

I am leaning Corsair here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W

anybody able to speak on Corsair PSU's? I know it's a twin of the XFX one but Corsair seems to have more PSU experience and good reviews where i have checked.

more power supply experience ?

antec started in 1986
corsair started in 2006

the antec hcp 850 is better then anything corsair has in its range cept the ax850

antec started in 1986
corsair started in 2006

the antec hcp 850 is better then anything corsair has in its range cept the ax850

You're asking too much..
He's ":mad:" over the fact that the HX850 is outside his price range even though he's already been told that the HCP is superior while being cheaper, his short list consists of the TX-M and TXv2 which while being solid units are pretty much the worst mentioned in this thread, he thinks "a little extra room won't hurt" when full system load translates into <70% actual PSU load and he just discovered jonnyGURU..
I love marketing:)

antec started in 1986
corsair started in 2006

I currently have an Antec, in fact i have 3 Antec TP3-550's in my house. Had to return one to store due to corrosion in a few molex connectors. Anyways I saw the price on those go from 90 bucks to 60 bucks at FRY's.

I hadn't considered Antec because their PSU side of the business doesn't ring out much on the high end. I will check out reviews on this HCP-850 you talk about.

You're asking too much..
He's ":mad:" over the fact that the HX850 is outside his price range even though he's already been told that the HCP is superior while being cheaper, his short list consists of the TX-M and TXv2 which while being solid units are pretty much the worst mentioned in this thread, he thinks "a little extra room won't hurt" when full system load translates into <70% actual PSU load and he just discovered jonnyGURU..
I love marketing:)

I'm not mad. I'm just torn because I don't know the PSS business like i know the GPU/CPU business.

I just found this http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003PJ6QWE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new which is an awesome deal that Frys will match.

Another thing complicating the decision is local selecion in DFW,TX sucks ass. Frys, CompUSA and Microcenter is what I am relegated to. Frys has what is a great price on the AX850 and I am think hard about it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I hadn't considered Antec because their PSU side of the business doesn't ring out much on the high end.
:)
At the moment the HCP 1200 is probably the best high output(consumer/desktop) PSU you can buy(anywhere), that should tell you a few things about Antec's PSU business.
I'm not mad. I'm just torn because I don't know the PSS business like i know the GPU/CPU business.
That's why you should listen to those who do know more and bothered replying to your questions..
Another thing complicating the decision is local selecion in DFW,TX sucks ass. Frys, CompUSA and Microcenter is what I am relegated to. Frys has what is a great price on the AX850 and I am think hard about it.
You should have said that in the first place, would have spared the pointless talk around newegg deals and such.
Here you go, this is as high end as they go at the moment:
NZXT HALE90 80+ Gold 750W @ Frys
Or just save yourself some money and get this Silencer 760 which @ 80$ is a hard to pass deal.

ps. just to let you know how good of a deal that HCP 850 is @ 120$, if I were in the US right now I'd get like 5 ;)

Ugh....

picard-facepalm2.jpg

You do realize how long you're in the business doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on the quality of your power supplies, right? Antec has a few craptastic power supply series, and a few downright just awesome series. Corsair never made the mistake of going ultra-cheap that Antec did, but they do have mediocre budget series. The same is true about other power supply companies, besides ones that just only have craptastic series.

Once again, brand-name loyalty/blindness will only lead you to make stupid decisions.

Every power supply has its faults. Ordered a hx1000 for a 980x build, after 3 months it went out and took every component with it. Ordered another to replace it while doing the RMA and it came in DOA.

I am leaning Corsair here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W

anybody able to speak on Corsair PSU's? I know it's a twin of the XFX one but Corsair seems to have more PSU experience and good reviews where i have checked.

I typically only buy corsair power supply's since I've never had any issues with them.

I've owned lots of corsair PSU's and continue to purchase them as they are a great bang for the buck and are well built. (Cx-430, TX-650, HX 620, TX-850 v1, TX 850 V2, AX-850, AX-1200)

The TX850 V2 850w PSU you mentioned above I've had for 2 months and is running at 800w output 24/7 for the last 3 months and haven't had an issue yet. This setup is powering an i7 930 and 5 XFX 6850 video cards currently.

My older TX 850 V1 I was pumping 1030w (wall wattage) which would equate to about 840w or so through that bad boy 24/7 for 1 month or so which means it was running at full load virtually. That PSU was powering an i7 950, 3 MSI twin frozr 6950's unlocked and 2 6870's. I've had this psu for 1.5 years or so.

:)
At the moment the HCP 1200 is probably the best high output(consumer/desktop) PSU you can buy(anywhere), that should tell you a few things about Antec's PSU business.

That's why you should listen to those who do know more and bothered replying to your questions..

You should have said that in the first place, would have spared the pointless talk around newegg deals and such.
Here you go, this is as high end as they go at the moment:
NZXT HALE90 80+ Gold 750W @ Frys
Or just save yourself some money and get this Silencer 760 which @ 80$ is a hard to pass deal.

ps. just to let you know how good of a deal that HCP 850 is @ 120$, if I were in the US right now I'd get like 5 ;)

damn that silencer deal must have popper up today. I went with an AX850. got the rough build going with the 6990...not sure the fan on the psu has been used yet, that 6990 is a loud mofo lol

as for the Antec psu business....1 PSU that is good does not mean they are all good. In a world where sometimes PSU's in the same series can be made by different outsourced companies...it pays to really research what you are buying.

exactly. they price match but their policy is tricky. end of the day they had the best ax850 price out there for $175. If anyone online is cheaper in next 30 days i can get a match.

I typically only buy corsair power supply's since I've never had any issues with them.

I've owned lots of corsair PSU's and continue to purchase them as they are a great bang for the buck and are well built. (Cx-430, TX-650, HX 620, TX-850 v1, TX 850 V2, AX-850, AX-1200)

The TX850 V2 850w PSU you mentioned above I've had for 2 months and is running at 800w output 24/7 for the last 3 months and haven't had an issue yet. This setup is powering an i7 930 and 5 XFX 6850 video cards currently.

My older TX 850 V1 I was pumping 1030w (wall wattage) which would equate to about 840w or so through that bad boy 24/7 for 1 month or so which means it was running at full load virtually. That PSU was powering an i7 950, 3 MSI twin frozr 6950's unlocked and 2 6870's. I've had this psu for 1.5 years or so.

went with the ax850. 6990 running smoothly. hope my psu is good to me like yours were to you.

as for the Antec psu business....1 PSU that is good does not mean they are all good. In a world where sometimes PSU's in the same series can be made by different outsourced companies...it pays to really research what you are buying.
Antec has a lot more than one good model. Almost all of their PSUs are very good.

just wanted to report back, the PSU is running fine.

The fan comes on only during heavy loads like when i am playing bf3 beta at highest settings. so hot air coming out of that sucka.

but noise isn't a problem at all because the 6990 is so loud i had to tie down my pc for fear it may fly off my desk.

Definitely go with Corsair since their PSU's are more reliable and are made by Seasonic which is top notch. I had my Cosair PSU for over 3 years and still working great no issues. Plus there warranty is good also.

Definitely go with Corsair since their PSU's are more reliable and are made by Seasonic which is top notch. I had my Cosair PSU for over 3 years and still working great no issues. Plus there warranty is good also.

Did you even read the thread?

You have corsair tx950 for a little extra more than the price of tx850,only drawback is that they are not modular.
You have also in this tread SeaSonic X750 Gold,Damos posted a new egg link,its even better than any of the corsair`s psu`s.
And you have antec,hcp 750 and 850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371052,[/url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371053[/url], and you can go wrong with them,they made by delta,delta`s units are a little worse than seasonic`s in a lower price range ,but in the high ,and medium price range they are matter of choice,channel well is a little worse than these two.
By the way corsair tx 850w is psh platform,and tx950,hx750,hx850 is their better dsg platform, and they are made by channel well.
Ax750 and 850,are made by seasonic,and ax 120 flextronic.
Your money ,your purchase. :)
Personally have corsair hx850 ,because when i bought it it was by the far best performance/price in my country.,and i am very satisfied.

Last edited:
What is the difference between the Corsair 850 Silver and Gold? From the reviews on newegg, the silver seems to be the better card.

Back