850w or 1200w for new system?

tarxsix

n00b
Hello,

I just ordered a new system. Before I placed the order, I checked a wattage calculator (can not remember witch one) and it told me 750-800w should be enough. So I ordered the system with a 850w ps.

The one I ordered is: Seasonic X850 Gold ATX 12V 24PIN 850W Active PFC 80PLUS Gold Modular SLI Ready Power Supply

The shipment was split up but I got the motherboard and was looking at the manual. ASUS had their own wattage calculator, so I checked it out. ASUS recommends a 1150w power supply.

Question: is the Seasonic x850 Gold good enough for my system or should I get a: 1200W ATX Corsair AX1200i Digital Platinum Modular?

Parts list for new system:
ASUS Xonar Essence STX PCI-E1 SPDIF Sound Card
Antec P280 XL-ATX Tower Case
Will be replacing all fans with Noctua NF-F12 and Noctua NF-A15
Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB x2
LG WH14NS40 14X Blu-Ray Writer
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H110
Intel Core i7 4770K Unlocked - hoping for a 4.6 overclock.
ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - x2
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 32Gb
ASUS Z87-DELUXE

Best regards.

Yep, it'll be in a pretty good efficiency range. A 1kw+ supply would be overkill for that build.

Your chosen PSU is fine, its easily enough power, is a good quality unit and its high efficiency will keep internal heat down reducing wear.

Unless you plan to quad SLI, stick with the 850.

Thanks everyone for the advice and for saving me a few bucks :D
I'll stick with the 850.

How's the 850 handing those two 780s and an overclocked haswell?

I am curious because my galaxy dxx is I think starting to give out (7 or 8 years old now) and I have an 850w platimax here (I won it on [H] a while back) which I am thinking about putting into my X79 gaming rig... I think it will handle it but it'll be working hard while gaming at max load.. I was going to sell it and then get a 1kw but if the 850 will be ok I will just use it.

PS: apologies for minor thread steal/borrow. ;)

Revenant, if this "gamer: X79 with 3820 @ 4.25ghz | recon3d | 2x gtx770 4gb sli forced pci-e 3.0 @ 5760x1080" is the system you are talking about, that 850 will be plenty. If you had a 6 core variant SB-E things would be different. My 3930k at 4.7 + SLI titans pull close to 860 watts in bf3 and shogun 2. Used a kill-a-watt to find that out, it gives you an idea but its not exact. Also have not counted for efficiency on my x-1250 from Seasonic.

As far as the 850w for the OP, he's fine to. I've ran a 2700k at 4.7 and 2 580s on that unit with full loop and it did well. 580s look pretty close to 780s in terms of TDP, especially when you set the voltage to 1.162v.

Yep, that's the system.. I have two ssd and two spinning disks, two dvd drives also, and a lot of 120mm fans.. Good to know on power use... I would feel more comfy with some more headroom but will give the 850w a go.. in reviews it was putting out well over 900... I just don't want to run it in the red while I am gaming but I reckon it'll be ok. It's a quality psu and built to be driven [H]ard. :)

at the wall is usually more then what the system is actually drawing.. dep on efficiency obviously, so yeah a ballpark figure.. maybe shave 6% or so off that..

I think 580s are very close to 780s in TDP... they are more than 770s for sure.

I have not had the time to do much gaming yet but it held up for all stress testing with aida64 and 3dmark (was on special on steam:).

I'm running the cpu at 44 with 1.232v
(the bloody thing will not touch 45 at any v, 2 of the cores jump to over 90c when I do)

the seasonic 850 gold is a good power supply and plenty of power. No need to second guess yourself. Unless you were to go tri SLI with extreme overclocking it'll hold you over.

I have not had the time to do much gaming yet but it held up for all stress testing with aida64 and 3dmark (was on special on steam:).

I'm running the cpu at 44 with 1.232v
(the bloody thing will not touch 45 at any v, 2 of the cores jump to over 90c when I do)

Thanks for the report. I feel confident the platimax 850 I have will be a good replacement for my aging galaxy dxx 1kw.

I was in the same spot you were this morning until I found a 1200ax cosair on ebay for 140.00 shipped today with 5 years left on the warranty.

wow.. great deal!

my 850w platy is working great so far... most of it's power is on the 12v and review tests show it can hold over 900w draw just fine (990w peak).. so I think I am good to go with this unit for a while.

Back