850 EVO 500GB 2.5” SATA III SSD w/Assassin’s Creed Download $138

deepinya

Gawd
I was looking at that 850 evo or the crucial mx200....which one would you guys recommend?

deepinya

Gawd
Doesnt the evo have 3-d nand? I figured that might be worth it for longevity.

StoleMyOwnCar

2[H]4U
Get which ever is cheaper. You won't notice a difference between the two.

This, the speed difference between the two in real world performance (actually this goes for almost any normal sata3 ssd) is negligible.

Doesnt the evo have 3-d nand? I figured that might be worth it for longevity.

I don't think anyone knows exactly how long the TLC V-NAND will last, so if you want some more proven longevity, I would go with the MX200 as MLC is generally pretty durable. The MX200 iirc is Crucial's higher end set anyway in the consumer market. I would pick it over the 850 Evo any day.

I've stated this multiple times but after what happened with the last set of Samsung's new experimental tech, I would not in any case go for something that isn't based on tech that has been out for several years.

deepinya

Gawd
Well Ive been running (trouble free) my sandisk extreme 24/7 for the past 3 years so maybe i should stick to the proven tech.

sfsuphysics

[H]F Junkie
I got one of the 500gb evos over the black friday/cyber monday week, and yikes that shit is fast. Windows 7 actually loaded in about the same amount of time as it took my monitor to detect that a signal was being sent to it. My old Kingston V(something) in my other computer wasn't anywhere near this fast.

Of course with all the updates applied I do expect it to slow slightly, but still it's a nice gauge for speed.

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
These prices are nuts. Rotational HDD manufacturers have to be concerned that soon NAND is going to take over traditional magnetic media.

Within a few years, buying a 2TB SSD will only be a $150. And of course the cheaper prices will allow them to scale more chips onto "bigger" drives.

Accursed

Limp Gawd
Mine shipped on Thusday, from NJ and I'm in CA. It was shipped ups 3 day, will be here Tues.