Yes last mine went out after 1 year and about 4-5 months. Its been about 2 weeks since the dell tech came onsite to fix it. Good thing I had 3 years with on site. They promptly came out and fixed the notebook. With the extension, that means I *should have an additional year beyond my 3 year warranty. I should call Dell. I am guessing they should still have parts for another 2-3 years.

just replaced my MB after my 8400m gs melted...sadly i replaced it with another 8400m....currently running at ~65C while streaming HD flash content. Anyone want to share their Temp? I'm trying to decide if I need to invest in some more serious cooling...

i had a similar problem. I remedied it by removing the thermal pad and purchasing a copper shim and placing it inbetween the heatsink and the GPU. This drops the temperature drastically

And yes, the first time mine broke after 8 months. Since the shim it's been going strong since the replacement

The 8400 in my GF's Inspiron 1420 died TWICE. Dell was very good about fixing it both times.

well, the chip on my "new" (referb) board just died. On the upside I did get a good day and a half out of it...:rolleyes:....just got it thought and its supposedly gauranteed against defect for 30 days by the seller so i'm hoping to exchange it for the MB w/ the Intel integrated graphics...not exciting, but hopefully more stable.

i had a similar problem. I remedied it by removing the thermal pad and purchasing a copper shim and placing it inbetween the heatsink and the GPU. This drops the temperature drastically

Do you recall what size shim you used? and where you got it?

here you go ebay link

basically you remove the thermal pad and replace it with this. be sure to put TIM on both sides of the shim since it will be in contact with both the GPU and the Heatsink. The idle temperatures should be roughly the same, if not slightly better. But the load temperatures should be drastically different between the two.

There is a large thread about this at notebook forums if you are interested in other people's results.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back