8250_s.gif

http://www.akiba-pc.com/news.php

CPU: FX-53 @ 2930 (266x11)
M/B: Gigabyte S939 NF250
RAM: Mushkin PC3500 2x256MB
VIDEO: ATI X800XT PE @ 806 / 648
COOLING CPU: asetek inc. Vapochill LS @ -40C
COOLING VIDEO: R404/R23 Cascade @ -85C

I'll have to quick email them and tell em that we aren't impressed by those sorts of numbers in a synthetic benchmark.

Its not his, Its maccis. this is, as the inq has coined it, "Benchmarketeering" for ATI, just like his x800xt pe screamer runs on 03 and 01 back at the r420 launch.

* WE ARE informed that Sami used a Cascade Compressor system to cool the graphics card and this setup can actually run twenty four hours a day.

Maybe we should start a thread based on how long it'll take him to kill the card?

How much do one of those Cascade Compressor systems cost anyway? I've heard something like 2Gs.

just because he can run it 24/7 doesn't mean he does. the top benchers, (macci, fugger, tom holck, oppainter, lardarse, etc) all are essentially making screamer runs. these machines are 3dmark stable long enough to get one run in. they aren't stable enough for day to day use, and you certainly wouldn't want to. (cascades are loud, produce a lot of heat, and take up a lot of space. plus they draw power like nobodies business. (IIRC Holck's ubercascade draws well over 1 kilowatt)

Even though it is just a synthetic benchmark, they see it as a competition to see who can be the best (fastest) at it. Like it or not, 3DMark with all of it's flaws (for them it does not matter if it relevant to gaming performance), is still the most universal way of doing speed trials and comparisons of your graphics system (compared to other ORB people). I give him credit for being at the top of his hobby.

Criticizing them because of weather or not they play games with it is a bit presumptuous. Think of it as them drag racing out at the drag strip. They do everything they can to get even a fraction of a second faster, including sacrificing comfort, motor longevity, safety and so on. This isn't the same car they would use for day to day things like going to the store for groceries.

If drag racing(benchmarking) isn't you cup of tea, then move along to whatever sport/hobbie does interest you. But please, please, please do not turn this into yet another "merits of 3DMark05 as it pertains to games" thread. We have too many already.

DocFaustus said:
Criticizing them because of weather or not they play games with it is a bit presumptuous. Think of it as them drag racing out at the drag strip. They do everything they can to get even a fraction of a second faster, including sacrificing comfort, motor longevity, safety and so on. This isn't the same car they would use for day to day things like going to the store for groceries.

If drag racing(benchmarking) isn't you cup of tea, then move along to whatever sport/hobbie does interest you. But please, please, please do not turn this into yet another "merits of 3DMark05 as it pertains to games" thread. We have too many already.

Nice analogy. I don't think it will stop hurt feelings in the nVidia camp though.

-MrD

yea these guys are basicly drag racers wile most of use are what you you can equate to endurance racers there looking for that 1/4mile time (3dmark score) were looking to see who can go the farest in the same time (FPS for timedemos) :D
any way thats my .02

To say the system is 24/7 stable is false advertising, or whatever ATi is trying to do.

But then again, they said that when he used DI and LN2.

After all he has a 17" CRT and no case.

I think its funny the GPU is colder than the CPU.

Speaking of cascades, PC ICE's triple that does -117c at the condensor is more impressive.

I wonder if they consider his 6Ghz cpu-z boot 24/7 stable :|

Do you guys watch the 100 meter olympic sprint finals and go..."pfffft, big deal i bet he cant run that fast for 24 hours"
I understand that it dosn't pertain to what "real world performance" is maybe, but it's one of tools that are around atm, if you don't like it....go make one you do like and give it to us!

wonderboy said:
Do you guys watch the 100 meter olympic sprint finals and go..."pfffft, big deal i bet he cant run that fast for 24 hours"
I understand that it dosn't pertain to what "real world performance" is maybe, but it's one of tools that are around atm, if you don't like it....go make one you do like and give it to us!

The difference is no one says a 100 meter sprinter can win the New York Marathon, do they?

HOw in the hell is is your XT clocked that high??? I mean I see your sig, but post some pics of the sheit or something. I need to get my XT/PE off it's ass. =)

James Earl Ray said:
10K in what? Not 05 I'm sure.

omfg it was on 05 i used dual cascades systemz!1!one!1 i hadz 2 on the CPU and 5 on my graphix card.. I COOLED EACH PARTS LOL>

The Batman said:
* WE ARE informed that Sami used a Cascade Compressor system to cool the graphics card and this setup can actually run twenty four hours a day.

Maybe we should start a thread based on how long it'll take him to kill the card?

How much do one of those Cascade Compressor systems cost anyway? I've heard something like 2Gs.

Quit whining.... My god if this was a NV40, which will never happen thanks to NV, you would be pounding your chest in victory.

OpStar said:
The difference is no one says a 100 meter sprinter can win the New York Marathon, do they?

And no one calls the person who wins the NY Marathon "the fastest man on earth." That it is reserved for the man who wins the gold in the 100 meter sprint.

So by that token I suppose ATI has every right to call their card the 'fastest video card on earth.'

-MrD

I would not say the ATI has the fastest video card on earth. It could be said their hardware runs the best on this application, though.

Wow.. so many misinformed people. Macci's rig only one peice was Cascade cooled, not LN2 or DI. A single Vapochill LS on the CPU and Casce on the GPU.

If you'd really like to read up on the subject, read this thread HERE

Like many people said, its like drag racing, if you don't like it, don't do it.

At least we know where all the XT PEs went to - ATI gave them all to this bencher so he can find the fastest one :rolleyes:

Summoner said:
At least we know where all the XT PEs went to - ATI gave them all to this bencher so he can find the fastest one :rolleyes:

Hahahahahha, best comment on this thread. I wonder how long it took him to find that one, it's probably pretty rare. Still, the entire situation is hilarious.

ATI : Our drivers are awesome, we have the highest scores!
(day later) NV : Two of our 6800Ultras in SLI scored 7200!! We are the industries best!!
(day later) ATI : Our x800XT out-performs two 6800Ultra's by around 1000 points!

It's just funny to see NV touting as the industry leader, only to be dethroned the day after by a singular XT PE. It's funny, common, admit it :)

I think the problem here is people are merging getting the fastest 3dmark score no matter the cooling with and ATI vs. NVIDIA discussion where only one card has supercooling. This is just dumb.

R1ckCa1n said:
Quit whining.... My god if this was a NV40, which will never happen thanks to NV, you would be pounding your chest in victory.

Considering you have trouble grasping concepts that exist in the present might I suggest you refrain from releasing your overwhelming intellect on the unsuspecting future.

I could care less who wins a damned synthetic, what pisses me off is that some people are making claims that broach into the 'real world gaming' part of the buying decision.

Besides, the only reason you're defending the synthetics is because one of them happens to be in your favor. Guess after D3 you'll take table-scraps neh? You want to beat your chest like a twit, wait it out for HL2, you'll get your victory there.

Summoner said:

This thread just found justification. Good stuff. :D

obs said:
I think the problem here is people are merging getting the fastest 3dmark score no matter the cooling with and ATI vs. NVIDIA discussion where only one card has supercooling. This is just dumb.

We all know it's not a fair comparison, it's still funny. It's called humour, I'm sure you've heard of it, from movies or TV at one point or another.

The Batman said:
Considering you have trouble grasping concepts that exist in the present might I suggest you refrain from releasing your overwhelming intellect on the unsuspecting future.

I could care less who wins a damned synthetic, what pisses me off is that some people are making claims that broach into the 'real world gaming' part of the buying decision.

Besides, the only reason you're defending the synthetics is because one of them happens to be in your favor. Guess after D3 you'll take table-scraps neh? You want to beat your chest like a twit, wait it out for HL2, you'll get your victory there.

This thread just found justification. Good stuff. :D

The people who make buying decisions based on numbers make up a large portion of consumers, those who shop at Walmart and such. Sadly, it will sway consumers. Kind of like another number that I think swayed alot of buyers, 3.0.

The simple masses who don't know a lot about computers always go for the highest numbers. NV tried touting their victory in order to sway consumers, that's the point. If NV didn't think that it was useless, they wouldn't have made a press release stating that they were the 'industries best' in the benchmark. It's for the simple masses, not those at websites like this.

WesM63 said:
Wow.. so many misinformed people. Macci's rig only one peice was Cascade cooled, not LN2 or DI. A single Vapochill LS on the CPU and Casce on the GPU.

If you'd really like to read up on the subject, read this thread HERE

Like many people said, its like drag racing, if you don't like it, don't do it.

Forum is down.
What is this cooling the GPU? That has to be hella vmodded too.

Whats funny is you can tell whos got an nvidia card. Everyone that is posting negative pesimistic bullshit. Admit for 1 fucking second that ati can and does have a better card. Is it impossible? Nope. You wouldnt see all the ati card owners on here if nvidia had beaten the xtpe using a single card and going whining about how unfair and how he cheated because he didnt use conventional water cooling or air. Quit fucking whining and accept it. Its a never ending loop, nvidia beats ati, ati beats nvidia and so on and so forth..just learn to live with it.

phaelinx said:
Whats funny is you can tell whos got an nvidia card. Everyone that is posting negative pesimistic bullshit. Admit for 1 fucking second that ati can and does have a better card. Is it impossible? Nope. You wouldnt see all the ati card owners on here if nvidia had beaten the xtpe using a single card and going whining about how unfair and how he cheated because he didnt use conventional water cooling or air. Quit fucking whining and accept it. Its a never ending loop, nvidia beats ati, ati beats nvidia and so on and so forth..just learn to live with it.

I would have purchased an XT PE if i could have found one that wasnt $700+. I ended up with a GT as it was $399 with free D3 - value for money thats hard to resist. I wouldnt have bought D3 anyways, i just wanted a new generation card to update my 9800pro.

People are also getting annoyed with stock ultra cards being compared to a cherry picked XT PE with cooling thats unavailable to the majority of gamers. To use the racing analagy, its like comparing a car you buy in the showroom to a Nascar one.

Summoner said:
People are also getting annoyed with stock ultra cards being compared to a cherry picked XT PE with cooling thats unavailable to the majority of gamers. To use the racing analagy, its like comparing a car you buy in the showroom to a Nascar one.

READ.

joecuddles said:
We all know it's not a fair comparison, it's still funny. It's called humour, I'm sure you've heard of it, from movies or TV at one point or another

I know it's a hard concept, but try to grasp it.

I know it's just a synthetic benchmark, but alot of people run em and swear by them. The outcome is just a measuring stick against other pc's. I'd like to see some real game benchmarks run with this rig...I love times like this...I don't have to hear NVIDIOT's talking so much smack anymore. :D

Back