82% of American Teenagers Own an iPhone?

Awesome! I'll copy this later as reminder to myself to try. Thanks again, seriously :)

Your welcome. I was an email admin for almost a decade (and ran BBS's before that ;) ) so I had to deal with this crap all the time. Users - sigh...

Your welcome. I was an email admin for almost a decade (and ran BBS's before that ;) ) so I had to deal with this crap all the time. Users - sigh...
Yeah, just when you thought you'd made it as clear and obvious as possible there's always one who'll give you a face/palm moment. LOL!

Eh, kids just seem to want to fit in. I guess Apple is trending in their generation. (Example: Beats is terrible quality for the price but due to it heavily advertised in music videos/mainstream media, lots of kids still buy it)

Tell that to my Note 4 that would randomly reboot at anywhere from 30%-70% due to a degraded battery, and my OG Moto X that will reboot at 40%. Until I swapped the battery, the Note 4 would never enter battery saver mode unless it displayed <20%, which at that time, it would shut down.

I bet you it probably didn't reboot, but just turned off. Then you'd turn it on. There is a difference between reboot and powered off. Majority of your Android devices simply turn off with a degraded battery. iPhone devices do pretty much exactly the same thing.

its all the illusion of status. just like the loud talker on the cell phone in a public venue or the "look at me ive got a starbucks brand coffee cup in my hand"

I bet you it probably didn't reboot, but just turned off. Then you'd turn it on. There is a difference between reboot and powered off. Majority of your Android devices simply turn off with a degraded battery. iPhone devices do pretty much exactly the same thing.

When I said "reboot", I meant reboot. Not shutdown and me turning it back on, but reboot. Android phones can and do reboot with faulty/degraded batteries. I've had several Android phones, and have seen such many times.

You get everything from random app crashes to reboots and shutdowns.

And if you live in the US, the overwhelming majority of people have iPhones.

But by all means, buy a less useful phone and isolate yourself from others because you think that makes you unique and not a sheep.

This is patently false as already demonstrated from links earlier in this thread. Android has a larger market in the USA, and a far larger market globally. In fact, Apple is losing to Samsung alone. We don't even have to bring all the other carriers in, and this is even after the fiasco with the exploding Galaxy phones.

When I said "reboot", I meant reboot. Not shutdown and me turning it back on, but reboot. Android phones can and do reboot with faulty/degraded batteries. I've had several Android phones, and have seen such many times.

You get everything from random app crashes to reboots and shutdowns.

And just about everything out on the net, phone just turns off from degraded battery. Sure, app crashes, reboots, and shutdowns are things that happen with Android phones, but never seen them due to degraded batteries. Not even my own Android phones have done such and that's pretty much all I've owned, except before smartphones.

In fact, Apple is losing to Samsung alone.

Losing what? There are many numbers that can be quoted - the amount of revenue per user is what manufacturers and everyone else in the ecosystem really cares about. The biggest winner in Android is Google with ad revenue. It shouldn't be a surprise, that's why they created and "gave away" Android. As a phone manufacturer or independent programmer? Way more money is being spread around on the iOS side of things. It's been that way for a long time now, and I just did a quick Google search restricting to the last year and the majority of article on the first two pages still heavily favor iOS as generating more profit despite higher transactional volume on Android. The gap is narrowing vs earlier years, but it's still amazing to me how iOS dominates the discussion when it comes to petty things like profits :)

It's not hard and fast for every app or market, but in general iOS is still by far the safer bet if you have to pick one over the other. Obviously if you have the resources, target both platforms. Even as an iOS user I don't wan't to see Android fail. Competition is good. Apple has certainly shown they can be just as lazy as anyone else if they aren't challenged. Same for Google too. Before the iPhone all Android pre-production units were very hard to tell apart from Blackberry's which dominated the time before the iPhone. I suspect Android working more like the iPhone and less like a Blackberry is a good thing for most people.

Any one vendor dominating is bad for everyone which as others have stated in this thread it's amazing to watch people act like platform wars are a zero sum game. To each their own. Choice is good!

Losing what? There are many numbers that can be quoted - the amount of revenue per user is what manufacturers and everyone else in the ecosystem really cares about. The biggest winner in Android is Google with ad revenue. It shouldn't be a surprise, that's why they created and "gave away" Android. As a phone manufacturer or independent programmer?

In market share which is what we were discussing.

Before the iPhone all Android pre-production units were very hard to tell apart from Blackberry's which dominated the time before the iPhone. I suspect Android working more like the iPhone and less like a Blackberry is a good thing for most people.

Umm what? Android is not like iPhone, it is like Android. Android was never like Blackberry or iPhone, it has always been like Android. I have been using smartphones since before the iPhone, owning both PocketPC and Blackberry platforms and honestly have no idea what you are talking about here.

You must not remember this.
google-android-handset-1.jpg

Yes, that was the original design for Android. Note how it looked very much like a Blackberry. Then the iPhone came out and Google went "oh shit" and completely redesigned it.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
You must not remember this.
View attachment 66554
Yes, that was the original design for Android. Note how it looked very much like a Blackberry. Then the iPhone came out and Google went "oh shit" and completely redesigned it.

That doesn't really look like a Blackberry. I am curious how you define "very much like"? It has some features that are similar to some Blackberries, it also has some features that are similar to PocketPC, it also had an interface that was a little different from both.

If you really want to go down that road, the iPhone had many similarities to the PocketPC that I owned before it debuted.

If you really want to go down that road, the iPhone had many similarities to the PocketPC that I owned before it debuted.

lol - I had a pocket PC too (should have never let them swap my awesome HTC for a Treo when I broke my HTC - Palm's phone dialer and other utils were complete garbage compared to HTC) and the similarities between pocket PC and the iPhone is the two had something called a GUI. On the pocket PCs but it was barely useful for doing email (Blackberry ruled here) and worthless for web or anything else (WEP anyone?) and in trying to cram the desktop metaphor on a mobile device a good 1/3 of the screen was wasted in unnecessary window dressing. Safari on the iPhone was like nothing else and existed a full year before the first Android phone shipped - it was the "real" internet, not some watered down interpretation. I waited my contract out before getting an iPhone and felt pretty stupid for waiting after I got it. Paying extra for data was a waste by comparison. At least the second generation iPhone hardware as a dramatic improvement over the original so I had that going for me.

There's similar and then there's similar.

lol - I had a pocket PC too (should have never let them swap my awesome HTC for a Treo when I broke my HTC - Palm's phone dialer and other utils were complete garbage compared to HTC) and the similarities between pocket PC and the iPhone is the two had something called a GUI. On the pocket PCs but it was barely useful for doing email (Blackberry ruled here) and worthless for web or anything else (WEP anyone?) and in trying to cram the desktop metaphor on a mobile device a good 1/3 of the screen was wasted in unnecessary window dressing. Safari on the iPhone was like nothing else and existed a full year before the first Android phone shipped - it was the "real" internet, not some watered down interpretation. I waited my contract out before getting an iPhone and felt pretty stupid for waiting after I got it. Paying extra for data was a waste by comparison. At least the second generation iPhone hardware as a dramatic improvement over the original so I had that going for me.

There's similar and then there's similar.

That is interesting, my PocketPC was far more powerful and useful than the first iPhones. I had fully blown programs on there like Office, Visio, even AutoCAD. Not sure what you go or why it wasn't working for you. Also it had a touchscreen, it had a main window with square icons which iPhone claims is their sole propriety ala their lawsuit with Samsung.

Safari is a joke, what does that really have to do with anything? Safari is a browser and it isn't even a particularly good one.

Safari is a joke, what does that really have to do with anything? Safari is a browser and it isn't even a particularly good one.

If you really had a pocket PC phone from that era you wouldn't consider Safari a joke.

If you really had a pocket PC phone from that era you wouldn't consider Safari a joke.

I did, I would, and I still do. Nobody I knew ever considered Safari anything other than mediocre at best. I honestly can't even believe you would bring it up.

I use Safari all the time on my iPhone 7 Plus and it works just fine. Once again the Android haters show up just because they have to. No reason needed, just to spew hate.

got both phones, iphone and android and have something to like about them both as well as both have their issues.

Back