82% of American Teenagers Own an iPhone?

As long as you depend on the OEM for updates, you will be SOL sooner than later.
But it shouldn't be like that! That's what I'm trying to stress here. If you buy a flagship device for $800 one should expect at least three to four years of support from the company that made it. But it doesn't happen and that's flat out wrong!

Apple provides that kind of support for their iPhones and other iOS devices. That's why I bought an iPhone, for that support that for the money I think I deserve.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Meh all the non carrier fucked Android Samsung Sx, Samsung Note, Nexus, Pixel, Oneplus, Moto Z, Blackberry, Sony Xperia, lines get regular patches... Probably more too. As long as you don't buy garbage carrier fucked or "free" phones or use phones from 3+ years ago, in the US, it's gotten much much better for the Android patch story in the US. I get patches the beginning of every month on all of my devices including my Android tablet. Apple free household since forever. I was BlackBerry before Android, which was before Apple even had a phone.

Note that Pixel gets updates whether its carrier or not. I have had both the Pixel XL and Pixel 2 XL and can attest to getting regular updates through the carrier.

I have always said Apple's marketing was the best there is. They could convince people to buy a pile of dung and have them enjoying the smell too.

Wife lost her Galaxy Note 4 last week. She went into the TMobile store and asked, "What phones have user replaceable batteries?". Apparently LG is it. So she got a $125.00 LG phone.

She keeps her phones long enough the battery has to be replaced, at least once.

Carrier is a concept unknown to me. I'm used to buying my phones flat out.

But it's been a while that I just rely on the Free Software community for updates. Still, most OEMs decided to make that as difficult as possible.

My Nexus 4 is carrying on with LineageOS, and I still couldn't find anything reasonable to replace it with. Something cheap and reliable that I can just install a custom ROM and rest easy with updates for 5+ years just like with the Nexus 4. Just as a comparison, my Acer Iconia tablet was bought last March and is stuck with a 2017 security patch.

That is quaint in your little demographic, but according to Forbes and Google (who was surprisingly open), Android actual usage share is about 60-66%. Apple is roughly only 1/3 of the market right now. As for the sales numbers, those are far more grim for Apple, as Android is crushing them.

Well, when you compare what, 4-5 manufacturers with 4+ different models ranging from as low as free from carriers for signing up up to $900 versus one single company with one line of phones with a few different variants of that one line of course numbers are going to be skewed in favor of the first option.

The fact that one line of phones holds 33% of the market is remarkable when you break down each individual phone manufacturers numbers I firmly believe Samsung would be the only Android phone manufacturer able to match that number.

Since Iphones go from 700+ dollars to almost nothing after 2 years, it makes sense that you would just give it to your kid instead of selling it.

My brother in law gave my son his old 5s in perfect like new condition cause he got a new iphone X from his work. I have 5 iphones sitting in a drawer next to me from old jobs and contracts that I don't even use anymore. This statistic is completely legitimate to me.

Well, when you compare what, 4-5 manufacturers with 4+ different models ranging from as low as free from carriers for signing up up to $900 versus one single company with one line of phones with a few different variants of that one line of course numbers are going to be skewed in favor of the first option.

The fact that one line of phones holds 33% of the market is remarkable when you break down each individual phone manufacturers numbers I firmly believe Samsung would be the only Android phone manufacturer able to match that number.

I am sorry, but what? What numbers are skewed? This is literally between two platforms, not companies. And the fact that one line holds 33% of the market is remarkable in what way? If one platform holds 60% of the market and the next only holds 33%, why is that remarkable? I don't get your comment here at all. Apple has been losing marketshare year after year. They have been losing sales to Android year after year. What is remarkable about that?

For a family, it’s tough to beat what Apple is offering. We have 2 boys, age 13 and 11. They get our hand-me-downs and can’t wait to get them. We all have Windows 10 desktops for gaming and work, but all tablets, laptops, and phones are Apple.

Want a ton of smart devices and lights in your home? Great, make sure you buy homekit compatible stuff and then all of your scenes and controls are instantly shared with your whole family.

Want to track where your family members are? We love Find Friends.

Passing new phones downs is a breeze.

The phones are fast, the apps work and there is 0 bloatware. No rooting required.

Central stored storage for the family and backups is a breeze.

Airplaying to everything around the house is a breeze.

Getting your text messages or declining a phone call on your laptop is extremely helpful.

Locking down the kid’s phones with parental controls and letting them request an app from me wherever they are is a breeze.

I don’t know, as someone who manages a private cloud and hundreds of client networks, I see it all, and at the current time, I see 0 reason to use anything but Apple for mobile devices if you are looking to have multiple devices with multiple people and have some semblance of harmony amongst all. Sure a single phone, it doesn’t really matter whether you use Android or Apple. However, mixing in everything else, there is a huge difference.

Drop in Office 365 for home so everyone gets an additional 1TB of cloud storage for photos and Office on their Desktop and it’s a real nice complete solution.

I personally see all of the arguments claiming Android is superior are really missing the bigger picture. Specs are specs, it’s the overall experience that matters.

Which means 82% of american teenagers are hipsters, which means 82% of future american adults will be hipsters. :eek:

When every single Apple commercial is little more than fruits dancing around like wannabe ballet dancers, who exactly do you think their target market is?

I don’t know, as someone who manages a private cloud and hundreds of client networks, I see it all, and at the current time, I see 0 reason to use anything but Apple for mobile devices if you are looking to have multiple devices with multiple people and have some semblance of harmony amongst all. Sure a single phone, it doesn’t really matter whether you use Android or Apple. However, mixing in everything else, there is a huge difference.

Drop in Office 365 for home so everyone gets an additional 1TB of cloud storage for photos and Office on their Desktop and it’s a real nice complete solution.

I personally see all of the arguments claiming Android is superior are really missing the bigger picture. Specs are specs, it’s the overall experience that matters.

If what you said about seeing it all is true, then you know literally everything you said is also available through Android...

I get it, you want the ability to customize stuff but the majority of people don't do that or don't have the technical expertise to do that. They buy a device, keep it, and all the while they aren't getting proper software updates putting their data at risk.

When I buy an $800 to $900 device I expect it to be supported. Yes, I can load a different ROM on it if I wished to do so but the point I'm trying to make here and that none of you here seem to be getting through your thick skull is that for the money I paid I shouldn't have to do that!!! Where the fuck is the money I paid going?! They should be supporting that device for four years considering that I paid what amounts to a mortgage payment.

This is what you people here don't get! If you pay you should get support. Plain and simple. Apple provides this support, that's why they get my money.

Last edited:
If what you said about seeing it all is true, then you know literally everything you said is also available through Android...

Massive difference between being available, in some way, with different apps and installs; and having it all simply work out of the box with little mgmt and setup from me.

Massive difference between being available, in some way, with different apps and installs; and having it all simply work out of the box with little mgmt and setup from me.

That is certainly true. This is a slight issue I have with my family. Some of my siblings use iPhone and use Facetime. I have android as does my sister and my parents. It makes it more difficult when that is the app they wish to use the most and do not consider using Skype.

Except I think previous generations based it on things a little bigger than what consumer item they preferred.

The fight of google vs apple is not like a good and evil thing. Neither of those companies care about you, they just want you to buy their product so they can be rich lol, fighting about it is just free marketing.
Correction - apple wants you to buy their products, Google wants you to use their products so they can sell your data.

Yes, that must be it. It would be impossible for someone to pick an iPhone because they prefer it or find it functions better for them.

It's just the sheep blindly following each other!

Teenagers and sheep are synonymous.

Damn guys, bickering over this shit all the while your house is on fire. Good job guys.

And what detergent they eat.

29715330_427340371043416_5701032347671986176_n.jpg

Teens will be teens.

I am sorry, but what? What numbers are skewed? This is literally between two platforms, not companies. And the fact that one line holds 33% of the market is remarkable in what way? If one platform holds 60% of the market and the next only holds 33%, why is that remarkable? I don't get your comment here at all. Apple has been losing marketshare year after year. They have been losing sales to Android year after year. What is remarkable about that?

For a platform to hold that percentage it equates to active devices in use i.e phones sold. Again my point stands.

Yes they’re losing market share, but I don’t think it’s to ‘Androids’. It might be due to phones reaching a saturation point to where an iPhone 5s which is about to stop receiving updates we’re good enough for the average user to get day to day things done.

Not everyone itches to upgrade every one to two years, so most people buying the iPhone 6s through the 8/X are probably coming off of a 5-5s, or in my case leaving Android to try something different.

That also goes to show the stark difference between Android phones and iPhone’s - users get up to 5 years of support so users who aren’t all in to tech get a phone that lasts longer.

With Android phones most carriers are hard pressed to push updates after 2 which gives the average user more incentive to upgrade. Not always the case but I know when I used Android that was my incentive to upgrade. Which is one of the reasons I went with an iPhone, that and Googles spying practices.

For a platform to hold that percentage it equates to active devices in use i.e phones sold. Again my point stands.

Yes they’re losing market share, but I don’t think it’s to ‘Androids’. It might be due to phones reaching a saturation point to where an iPhone 5s which is about to stop receiving updates we’re good enough for the average user to get day to day things done.

Wait...so Apple marketshare goes down....Android's marketshare has drastically increased....but Apple is not losing marketshare to Android....

I mean....I don't even....what?

7 billion+ people in this world.. kids are turning into adults, technology becoming available to more and more people day by day l - doesn’t mean it’s losing to Android. Android phones are cheaper, period. Your average elderly person, person on a budget looking for a cheap phone, parents wanting to give little Timmy his first phone without having to break the bank, hell even the Obama phone program was giving out smartphones loaded with Android.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Not surprised. The older non Pixel phones run like shit.. So why waste money on them?

I swear my android phone call and text my inlaws' Apple phone fine. Communication is the least part of it.

No FaceTime. No iCloud photo sharing. No iMessage. Your phone does the basics but you are also cut off from a lot of things iPhone users regularly use to communicate. And if you live in the US, the overwhelming majority of people have iPhones.

But by all means, buy a less useful phone and isolate yourself from others because you think that makes you unique and not a sheep.

Last edited:
A lot of those cheap Android phones are practically useless. The cameras suck, limited internal memory, the processors aren't top of the line, the screens are second rate, and worst of all software support is practically not even there.

For a novice user handing them a device like that is a disservice. Better to give them a lower end iPhone that is guaranteed to have software updates and security patches.

Hoo boy I wonder if this thread is full of a bunch of goobers calling iPhone owners sheeple and idiots, let's check, shall we?

Huh? Do you even know anything about Android phones? There is a battery conserve mode that the phone will go into, unless you're literally at 0% at which point, it'll turn off. Guess what an iPhone will do at 0% battery? Same thing.

Android phones don't randomly reboot from a degraded battery. They just have worse battery life. Since Lollipop, they've had a power saver mode that you will get prompted to enter when battery life is low. If you had a Sony phone before Lollipop, Sony had their own power saver mode years before it was available in stock Android. Both of them prompt you to enter into the mode or you can even enter power save mode in a full battery. User's choice.

Tell that to my Note 4 that would randomly reboot at anywhere from 30%-70% due to a degraded battery, and my OG Moto X that will reboot at 40%. Until I swapped the battery, the Note 4 would never enter battery saver mode unless it displayed <20%, which at that time, it would shut down.

Tell that to my Note 4 that would randomly reboot at anywhere from 30%-70% due to a degraded battery, and my OG Moto X that will reboot at 40%. Until I swapped the battery, the Note 4 would never enter battery saver mode unless it displayed <20%, which at that time, it would shut down.

I had the same issue, albeit not as bad. My Nexus 6p would shutdown anywhere from 15-30% and 100% of the time if the phone was outside in any temperature below 10°C.

When I replaced the battery the issue went away.

No FaceTime. No iCloud photo sharing. No iMessage. Your phone does the basics but you are also cut off from a lot of things iPhone users regularly use to communicate. And if you live in the US, the overwhelming majority of people have iPhones.

But by all means, buy a less useful phone and isolate yourself from others because you think that makes you unique and not a sheep.

So because adroid doens do apple things it is useless. but apple not doing android stuff or other well based defacto standard stuff it DOES make it becomes usefull?

Also why so loaded about what I do and not do? again these amazing telepathic power on forums have about other user are just.. well amazing.
I bought the phone I got because it fit me price ranged and could do what i like to do. Tinker with it. I dont give a F about what other people buy. I only buy stuff for me for my needs.
But if that make me unique then yeah its a sad world we have.

Maybe it just shows that the people that use Apple devices are much more trusting of unsecure networks (aka less tech literate) and Android users are staying on the wireless network?

lol - whatever it takes so you can sleep at night. This is NOT a tech biased crowd of nerds who hang out on an hardware overclocking oriented forum; it's a mix of regular folks - a few communities of regulars (church congregation, home schoolers that use the building during the week) as well as one off groups of visitors who rent the building for events. The vast majority of those hits are just associations with the guest wifi system - you can tell by the historical traffic volumes that most people aren't actively using the Internet for web or other active apps.

The amount of phones that are set to automatically associate with open wifi networks by default is rather frightening, actually.

So because adroid doens do apple things it is useless. but apple not doing android stuff or other well based defacto standard stuff it DOES make it becomes usefull?

Also why so loaded about what I do and not do? again these amazing telepathic power on forums have about other user are just.. well amazing.
I bought the phone I got because it fit me price ranged and could do what i like to do. Tinker with it. I dont give a F about what other people buy. I only buy stuff for me for my needs.
But if that make me unique then yeah its a sad world we have.

Honestly it’s a never ending e-peen battle. Both are great platforms in their own respective rights, sadly as of late I just see more and more of the Android side attacking the Apple side than vice versa. It’s not selective reason either.

I think what a lot of Android enthusiasts like to claim is how Apple always has out dated tech, walled garden, expensive etc. without taking into account each individuals wants/needs, how they’re going to use their phone, if the average user even cares about half of what Android does, or the experience each individual has with their own respective phones; but because of the history of Apple lovers doing the same thing is the reason for them pulling the trigger so quickly.

In my years of working with electronics no brand has seen more hate in tech circles than Apple has, because of those afornentioned claims. They’re quick to jump on all Apple hate and make mountains out of molehills, while in the same breath give Android a pass.

Honestly I can use either or, but a majority of my family having Apple makes me getting an iPhone to be in sync a lot easier than it is to get an Android and fiddle with different apps to get the sorta similar results (minus iMessage and family and friends location services).

Not that 48% Apple isn't impressive, but I would point out two things:
  1. The 48% Apple may also include Mac laptops, which don't run iOS
There were a couple that I had already pulled out. True, I could have missed some but I sorted by MAC - it's pretty easy to tell iPhones and iPads from the raw MAC addresses.

Some of the other categories don't seem to be included in your "Android" figure.

Anything not Apple that is a mobile device was added in the "android" number. Anything NOT a laptop - there were lots of Windows laptops with Intel NICs, for example, that are not in this table. Heck, as I noted I even threw the 6 Windows phones and 1 Blackberry (!!) into the Android column.

FUCK ANDROID!!! I refuse to use a software platform that doesn't get proper software updates like my Windows system gets every single Tuesday of every single month. Until the Android OEMs can guarantee that their devices will get a PROPER software update schedule like Windows, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and EVERY OTHER SOFTWARE PRODUCT ON THE PLANET GETS I will not consider Android a secure computing platform. Hell, even Linux itself gets software updates three, four, or even five times a week!!! All you have to do is open the Package Manager and you get a list as long as my arm.

Ha - I challenged my corp security folks:

"If a vendor offered a free laptop but it was running Windows XP would you let it on the network?

No?

Why does Android get a pass then?"

Because they only let us get "free" phones from the carriers (without having to jump through a shitload of hoops) and the "free" phones are always at least a version behind. The last Android phone I had was the Motorola flagship from the year before and the only reason it was updated to only one major version behind the current version was Motorola promised to provide the OS update or $100 to all owners of the phone. Literally the day before they had to cough up the $100 they released the OS update.

Wankers.

The real irony? iOS is far more reliable with my work Google Calendar that Android ever was (built in calendar or Google Calendar app) - something I still don't understand at all. Dunno if it's because we use Apps for business, our screwy MDM solution and some allergy with Android or what - but the damn calendar never was reliable no matter what I did (and I went back and forth with Google support quite a bit so it wasn't for a lack of trying). It Just Worked™ from day one on iOS - with either Apple's built in calendar app or Googles Calendar app, MDM or not.

Honestly it’s a never ending e-peen battle. Both are great platforms in their own respective rights, sadly as of late I just see more and more of the Android side attacking the Apple side than vice versa. It’s not selective reason either.

I think what a lot of Android enthusiasts like to claim is how Apple always has out dated tech, walled garden, expensive etc. without taking into account each individuals wants/needs, how they’re going to use their phone, if the average user even cares about half of what Android does, or the experience each individual has with their own respective phones; but because of the history of Apple lovers doing the same thing is the reason for them pulling the trigger so quickly.

In my years of working with electronics no brand has seen more hate in tech circles than Apple has, because of those afornentioned claims. They’re quick to jump on all Apple hate and make mountains out of molehills, while in the same breath give Android a pass.

Honestly I can use either or, but a majority of my family having Apple makes me getting an iPhone to be in sync a lot easier than it is to get an Android and fiddle with different apps to get the sorta similar results (minus iMessage and family and friends location services).
Well said. I'm not about to go Apple. Don't like the company( I find it very questionable how when a major security exploit is found it's not covered in mainstream media) or the prices but I do get where you're coming from. Most of the people I've encountered(a few exceptions) brag about the 'just works experience' or 'it's just better'. I discount their claims as I know they're really using them in the most basic way and that's all they know or care about. I get how Apple has catered to that. I questioned more than a few to specs and details and had my assumptions proven as so. On the other hand I have a number of android devices and sure they can compete with anything form P4's to some I3's but it's not something I really want to use for computing in a portable pocket sized environment. I find myself using them for the same basic things an apple drone will. Even though I have family with them I still refuse to join.

Ha - I challenged my corp security folks:

"If a vendor offered a free laptop but it was running Windows XP would you let it on the network?

No?

Why does Android get a pass then?"

Because they only let us get "free" phones from the carriers (without having to jump through a shitload of hoops) and the "free" phones are always at least a version behind. The last Android phone I had was the Motorola flagship from the year before and the only reason it was updated to only one major version behind the current version was Motorola promised to provide the OS update or $100 to all owners of the phone. Literally the day before they had to cough up the $100 they released the OS update.

Wankers.

The real irony? iOS is far more reliable with my work Google Calendar that Android ever was (built in calendar or Google Calendar app) - something I still don't understand at all. Dunno if it's because we use Apps for business, our screwy MDM solution and some allergy with Android or what - but the damn calendar never was reliable no matter what I did (and I went back and forth with Google support quite a bit so it wasn't for a lack of trying). It Just Worked™ from day one on iOS - with either Apple's built in calendar app or Googles Calendar app, MDM or not.
You get added to one of the few list with a technical point on iOS. My other IT partner also added that iOS has a type of end to end encryption that when coupled with paid gmail is pretty impressive. Unfortunately we just can't afford it in our enterprise budget, still wouldn't do it personally but on a professional level I've considered it. I too, though, have encountered some pretty wonky things with calender with MS and Android. . . .not to totally derail the thread but I'd dearly like to know how to lock threads in gmail.

What do you mean by "lock"? Do you mean in Google Groups or really in gmail?
Gmail. Sometimes we'll send a notice or reminder out to groups and individuals will reply to something that wasn't supposed to be replied to at all. Love to lock it so they have to send a direct email and not have it in the thread creating confusion for everyone else.

Gmail. Sometimes we'll send a notice or reminder out to groups and individuals will reply to something that wasn't supposed to be replied to at all. Love to lock it so they have to send a direct email and not have it in the thread creating confusion for everyone else.

Put the group or large number of emails in the BCC field; that's how I always handled it. You can also change the reply-to in gMail just like Outlook or Lotus Notes but the BCC by far is the most effective way - they literally won't have all the other addresses to reply to. Only way to keep people from shooting themselves in the foot sadly.

Put the group or large number of emails in the BCC field; that's how I always handled it. You can also change the reply-to in gMail just like Outlook or Lotus Notes but the BCC by far is the most effective way - they literally won't have all the other addresses to reply to. Only way to keep people from shooting themselves in the foot sadly.
Awesome! I'll copy this later as reminder to myself to try. Thanks again, seriously :)

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Back