82% of American Teenagers Own an iPhone?

The comments in this thread are hilarious.

For grins, I pulled stats on a wifi guest network at my church. This is based on 1273 Unique wireless devices in at least six months worth of stats. I excluded obvious laptops. Anything ambiguous I credited to Android (even the 5 kindles that are probably the non-Android Kindles) and what do you know - 48% iOS and 23% Android (laptops make up the missing percentage of the 1273 total wireless devices).

Heck, I just realized I credited the 6 Windows phones(!!) to Android too - whoops!

View attachment 65871

An interesting exercise. I have a few other guest networks I admin - I'll have to run stats on those too.

Not that 48% Apple isn't impressive, but I would point out two things:
  1. The 48% Apple may also include Mac laptops, which don't run iOS
  2. Some of the other categories don't seem to be included in your "Android" figure. For example, I would bet that the bulk of the SamsungE and MurataMa (Samsung) categories are actually Samsung smartphones running Android, and most of the Motorola, LG and HTC devices are probably also running Android.
Based on that, I don't think you can con necessarily conclude that it's 23% Android. My guess would be that it's actually closer to ~550 devices running Android, or 44%, but it's really hard to know from this data.

I have unlimited data and great coverage where I live and only find myself using Wi-Fi when I am at work or on the coast in my hotel room.

Phones can be free from carriers if you activate a line so thats not current market cost. Just contract pricing. Just saying.

I only have people connect to my Wi-Fi that have crap coberage from their carrier and if you pulled my Wi-Fi stats it would be mostly Apple devices.

Even my watch has LTE and unlimited data.

NOW if you used a stingrays and showed me the unique phone stats I might be impressed.

Also..... Dang lots of phones on Wi-Fi at church.... :/

lol - would you rather have a phone shut down/reboot because the battery can't deliver enough juice, or slow down but remain otherwise useful?

While degraded, I think NOT rebooting at random is indeed allowing older phones to be useful longer.

And congratulations - if you prefer to have your phone randomly shut down or reboot, as of iOS 11.3 you can turn off the slowdown and live with random shutdowns as god intended.

Sheesh - I wonder if you even read the link you provided.

Obvious overdefensive Apple fan is obvious.

Not that 48% Apple isn't impressive, but I would point out two things:
  1. The 48% Apple may also include Mac laptops, which don't run iOS
  2. Some of the other categories don't seem to be included in your "Android" figure. For example, I would bet that the bulk of the SamsungE and MurataMa (Samsung) categories are actually Samsung smartphones running Android, and most of the Motorola, LG and HTC devices are probably also running Android.
Based on that, I don't think you can con necessarily conclude that it's 23% Android. My guess would be that it's actually closer to ~550 devices running Android, or 44%, but it's really hard to know from this data.

1. Assuming the number of Macs is proportional to market share, that would subtract all of 37 from Apple's total. So, subtract a whopping 3% (maybe) from the Apple number. (Unless the church has an adjacent Starbucks -- then, there could be millions of Macbooks.)
  2. The "Android" total is already the sum of everything on that list that isn't "Apple".

Reactions: DocNo
like this

You do realize you proved my point don't you? Those changes came from updates to older phones. The phones didn't come with that software....

This is one of the few times they did something not good, but their older phones can run all the latest apps, the same can't be said for android phones.

lol - would you rather have a phone shut down/reboot because the battery can't deliver enough juice, or slow down but remain otherwise useful?

While degraded, I think NOT rebooting at random is indeed allowing older phones to be useful longer.

And congratulations - if you prefer to have your phone randomly shut down or reboot, as of iOS 11.3 you can turn off the slowdown and live with random shutdowns as god intended.

Sheesh - I wonder if you even read the link you provided.

Huh? Do you even know anything about Android phones? There is a battery conserve mode that the phone will go into, unless you're literally at 0% at which point, it'll turn off. Guess what an iPhone will do at 0% battery? Same thing.

Android phones don't randomly reboot from a degraded battery. They just have worse battery life. Since Lollipop, they've had a power saver mode that you will get prompted to enter when battery life is low. If you had a Sony phone before Lollipop, Sony had their own power saver mode years before it was available in stock Android. Both of them prompt you to enter into the mode or you can even enter power save mode in a full battery. User's choice.

Apple? Throttle your phone, not tell you. Then get sued. But hey, please tell us more about how you know nothing about Android.

Perhaps they mean that 82% own smartphones (which actually seems low, but...)
Just as not all jetted hotubs are Jacuzzis, and not all adhesive strips are Band-Aids, not all Smartphones are iPhones.
Maybe????

I don't know..

The android snobs sound exactly like the iPhone snobs..

Seriously, fighting over the phones at this point is retarded.. the battery fight is lame as you can replace the iPhone battery, just takes a special screw driver and about 5 minutes... I used android since doughnut and switched to iPhone when the 6+ was new.. the only difference is whether you like widgets and crashes... or no widgets and stability..

Other than that they do the same god damn thing so PLEASE shut the fuck up about it already.

No one cares if the technology in one phone is temporarily superior.. both will be in the trash in a year

You do realize you proved my point don't you? Those changes came from updates to older phones. The phones didn't come with that software....

This is one of the few times they did something not good, but their older phones can run all the latest apps, the same can't be said for android phones.

I have an iPad 2 and iPad Air that disagree with you. My iPad 2 can barely run the music player. I should make a video to show just how pathetic it is. I'd roll it back to IOS 7 in a heartbeat if I could. Could really care less about it running current apps, it can't even run the basic apps anymore. My iPad Air, while still functional and able to run apps, is also nowhere near the responsiveness it used to have. I'd roll it back too if I could. And my Apple TV 4th gen has a hard time playing music (from itunes no less) and is otherwise glitchy and needs reboots to start working properly again, which all started after updates to support the new apple music streaming. So... I like the idea of updates - but I also have the expectation that my device will continue to perform the tasks I bought it for that worked when I bought it.

To be fair, my wife's galaxy note 4 (years ago now) stopped being able to reliably stream bluetooth audio after a major android OS version upgrade. It would mostly work but cut out briefly every couple minutes. Annoyed the hell out of her.

For grins, I pulled stats on a wifi guest network at my church. This is based on 1273 Unique wireless devices in at least six months worth of stats. I excluded obvious laptops. Anything ambiguous I credited to Android (even the 5 kindles that are probably the non-Android Kindles) and what do you know - 48% iOS and 23% Android (laptops make up the missing percentage of the 1273 total wireless devices).

Heck, I just realized I credited the 6 Windows phones(!!) to Android too - whoops!

View attachment 65871

An interesting exercise. I have a few other guest networks I admin - I'll have to run stats on those too.
At some point I might do the same on our guest wifi. Got me curious now.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Huh? Do you even know anything about Android phones? There is a battery conserve mode that the phone will go into, unless you're literally at 0% at which point, it'll turn off. Guess what an iPhone will do at 0% battery? Same thing.

Android phones don't randomly reboot from a degraded battery.
They most certainly can, if the battery's current providing capability degrades past the SoC's power needs.

Had a aging HTC One M8 which liked to take a dive at 20% charge...

My question is, how do these teens afford to buy iphones (or any apple products for that matter)? Allowance and minimum wage jobs must be paying a lot better than when I was a teen....

You can get an iphone 6 at walmart for 100 bucks, no contract.

There's little reason to hate on Apple stuff after this week, even for the most die hard Apple hater. Just today Tim Cook said he wouldn't ban the NRA channel from Apple TV because he believes a diversity in viewpoints is important, even if you disagree with them. Contrast that with Google banning conservatives, and the choice could never have been more clear for me.

https://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/tim-cook-nra-tv-parkland-gun-apple-boycott-12822168.php

And google having shitty code that let facebook peruse your text messages and phonecalls. How anyone could use android is beyond me. Bitch at apple all you want, they legitimately keep your stuff private via their closed ecosystem.

Spoken just like your parents and their parents before them.

Except I think previous generations based it on things a little bigger than what consumer item they preferred.

The fight of google vs apple is not like a good and evil thing. Neither of those companies care about you, they just want you to buy their product so they can be rich lol, fighting about it is just free marketing.

Yes, that must be it. It would be impossible for someone to pick an iPhone because they prefer it or find it functions better for them.

It's just the sheep blindly following each other!

I didn't say that was the only cause, but yes, it is very much a large part of it. I have a very large family with a lot of cousins. This very issue was actually discussed numerous times over the years. Also, this issue about teenagers and fads has been researched for a long time. This isn't anything new or earth shattering that I made up. But please, just make snide remarks instead of listening to what decades of research tells us about teenagers... :rolleyes:

Not sure how accurate, but I see a lot more iPhones than anything else.. but the numbers have shrunk in the past few years.

They most certainly can, if the battery's current providing capability degrades past the SoC's power needs.

Had a aging HTC One M8 which liked to take a dive at 20% charge...

Yes and it does what? Turns off, cause it's a power loss situation. It's not going to bother randomly rebooting, unless there's some other cause that isn't battery related. It's just going to turn off, like it completely loss power.

Funny because I used my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for 5 years, from 2012 to 2017. During that time it neither got slower nor ever randomly rebooted.

Stupid buys what stupid is.
I take offense to that! Just because I chose to buy an iPhone doesn't make me stupid!!!

FUCK ANDROID!!! I refuse to use a software platform that doesn't get proper software updates like my Windows system gets every single Tuesday of every single month. Until the Android OEMs can guarantee that their devices will get a PROPER software update schedule like Windows, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and EVERY OTHER SOFTWARE PRODUCT ON THE PLANET GETS I will not consider Android a secure computing platform. Hell, even Linux itself gets software updates three, four, or even five times a week!!! All you have to do is open the Package Manager and you get a list as long as my arm.

I take offense to that! Just because I chose to buy an iPhone doesn't make me stupid!!!

FUCK ANDROID!!! I refuse to use a software platform that doesn't get proper software updates like my Windows system gets every single Tuesday of every single month. Until the Android OEMs can guarantee that their devices will get a PROPER software update schedule like Windows, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and EVERY OTHER SOFTWARE PRODUCT ON THE PLANET GETS I will not consider Android a secure computing platform. Hell, even Linux itself gets software updates three, four, or even five times a week!!! All you have to do is open the Package Manager and you get a list as long as my arm.

I think it is because many on both sides feel the need to take up arms and fight for the company that sold them a phone. You can't just like different things anymore, it is about who can fight harder for what they bought. And no one wants to hear why you like something different than them, they just want to insult you for not picking the same thing. I think people are too self conscious about what they bought so they have to constantly justify it to others. Remember the sega/super nintendo fights on the playground? Nothing changes. Or nike / reebok, pepsi coke, ford / chevy, lord of the rings / harry potter, snap on / cornwell tools etc etc

From a pure software patching point of view Apple iOS is superior to Android in every way. Hell Mozilla Firefox, Windows, Microsoft Office, Google Chrome and as I said before, every other software product on the planet gets a proper software update schedule... EXCEPT ANDROID! We are living in a world in which the barbarians (hackers) are at the gate, security patches must be pushed out as fast as humanly possible. You do not wait a month, you do not wait two weeks, you do not wait a week... you get that patch out NOW!!! As soon as it's ready, you get it out!

Windows just had an update yesterday, it patched a crap ton of security flaws. This happens on a monthly basis. You can't sit there and tell me that just because Android is open source it means that it's magically more secure than Windows is. Yeah right... if anything because it's open source it means that it's got a bigger target on its back. Everyone and their cat and dog are looking for security flaws just for sport.

I work at a university, and from the logs I can definitely say that apple mobile devices are rebounding in popularity.

The reality is that a very, very small percentage of the population uses their devices in anything but a box stock setup with slightly altered settings for personal preference regardless of platform. Out of the box, for email, calendaring, getting on our campus wide wi-fi, using your phone as payment, etc. Apple is just a much smoother, lower hassle experience. On top of that, you are rolling the dice much less with quality of the hardware than on android. Software wise, you have a MUCH, MUCH better support experience.

Anecdotally from looking at what folks are carrying and burying their faces in, the iPhone SE has played a large part in shutting down the shift towards android. Also anecdotally, the absurdly long android phones like the S9 are turning off customers, especially those who like to carry their phones in their back pockets. The combo, apparently, is a good way to crack your screen.

Additionally, we have a medical school, and for faculty and staff you use an approved, provided device or you don't use our systems with mobile. That has now become a 100% iOS proposition. As an example of the key difference between the ios ecosystem and android, the iphoneX was possessed of the same problems that had us ditch android in that context. Namely MDM was supposed to work, but didn't actually. THe difference was that with android it simply became too big a job to chase down the truth vs. the OS lying to you, and the problem would never get fixed. We found issue with the iPhoneX, brought it to the attention of apple and the mdm software company, the issue was resolved and end users will actually get the software update.

It isn't sexy or cool, but there's reasons.

The #1 feature I pay the apple premium for on my phone is the fact they kicked the carries off my device. It is a killer feature, period, and apple has yet to fuck up bad enough in any way to make that feature not matter to me, even when I'm less than 100% happy with them.

To sum up my response to friends and family on phone choices: Are you thinking of calling me when it isn't working right? Yes? Then don't buy android or you are on your own.

I do like my s7, probably going to switch back to iphone after this one is up. I find myself trusting the play store less and less every day. And I do like the fact that ios updates come straight to me, no carrier bs getting to be added or manufacturer specific stuff. The pixel is enticing me as well. The biggest reason I moved away from apple is MFI program they use for bluetooth, made it difficult to find bluetooth devices that were not premium overpriced to work. Now with BLE and it not being part of it, I might go back because at this point all I use my phone for is calls, text, work email, and facebook. Both groups of phones are full of good ideas and bad business practices. Though I will probably still keep my S7 so I can still use my flir one with it.

That is quaint in your little demographic, but according to Forbes and Google (who was surprisingly open), Android actual usage share is about 60-66%. Apple is roughly only 1/3 of the market right now. As for the sales numbers, those are far more grim for Apple, as Android is crushing them.

That is quaint in your little demographic, but according to Forbes and Google (who was surprisingly open), Android actual usage share is about 60-66%. Apple is roughly only 1/3 of the market right now. As for the sales numbers, those are far more grim for Apple, as Android is crushing them.

When looking at it though, you start to see that most of those exist in older versions of android 4-5 making up 40% of that. That tells me that it is grossly lower budget phones or people keeping phones longer. Which is why it dominates so well in EU and Asia markets.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
Version Codename Distribution
2.3.3 -
Gingerbread 10 0.3%
4.0.3 -
Ice Cream Sandwich 0.4%
4.1.x Jelly Bean 1.7%
4.2.x 2.6%
4.3 0.7%
4.4 KitKat 12.0%
5.0 Lollipop 5.4%
5.1 19.2%
6.0 Marshmallow 28.1%
7.0 Nougat 22.3%
7.1 6.2%
8.0 Oreo 0.8%
8.1 0.3%

When looking at it though, you start to see that most of those exist in older versions of android 4-5 making up 40% of that. That tells me that it is grossly lower budget phones or people keeping phones longer. Which is why it dominates so well in EU and Asia markets.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
Version Codename Distribution
2.3.3 -
Gingerbread 10 0.3%
4.0.3 -
Ice Cream Sandwich 0.4%
4.1.x Jelly Bean 1.7%
4.2.x 2.6%
4.3 0.7%
4.4 KitKat 12.0%
5.0 Lollipop 5.4%
5.1 19.2%
6.0 Marshmallow 28.1%
7.0 Nougat 22.3%
7.1 6.2%
8.0 Oreo 0.8%
8.1 0.3%

? It actually seems the data suggests that more people are holding on to their Apple phones than Android phones. As sales for Android grossly outnumber those for Apple. So the face that Apple has 33% of the usage share, but only 10-20% of the sales means more users are holding onto their iPhones longer... It even suggests it in the post I linked.

? It actually seems the data suggests that more people are holding on to their Apple phones than Android phones. As sales for Android grossly outnumber those for Apple. So the face that Apple has 33% of the usage share, but only 10-20% of the sales means more users are holding onto their iPhones longer... It even suggests it in the post I linked.

You are right. My list wouldnt show retention, only better highlight that it is likely that more of the lower end phones are selling since sales are so high but os is primarily older.

When looking at it though, you start to see that most of those exist in older versions of android 4-5 making up 40% of that. That tells me that it is grossly lower budget phones or people keeping phones longer.

My Galaxy Note 2 that I had until last year ran KitKat but that did not present any problems. The phone never got slow and always still ran the latest apps. Is it really a bad thing if the phones are such good quality that people can keep them and still have them work great for so many years?

You are right. My list wouldnt show retention, only better highlight that it is likely that more of the lower end phones are selling since sales are so high but os is primarily older.

Yeah it is just an interesting tidbit I came across when looking at all of this information.

Also to note among my cousins, the prevailing phone now is Android. Only the ones still in high school seem to stay with the iPhone. Another big reason for teenager use of the iPhone is Facetime. If you want to be part of the crowd, you have to use the apps the crowd is using. I am not sure Facetime still holds as much sway as it used to though.

My guess is that's more due to iPhones all being flagship phones, while Android phones are a mix of low, mid, high, and flagship phones. You're more likely to get a new phone every year or sooner, if your phones only cost you $150. If I buy a $800-1000 phone, I'm going to use it as long as possible.

My Galaxy Note 2 that I had until last year ran KitKat but that did not present any problems. The phone never got slow and always still ran the latest apps. Is it really a bad thing if the phones are such good quality that people can keep them and still have them work great for so many years?

No not at all. Honestly I really want the replaceable batteries to come back. From a consumer side what you have is awesome, from a company sales side it is not.

Yeah it is just an interesting tidbit I came across when looking at all of this information.

Also to note among my cousins, the prevailing phone now is Android. Only the ones still in high school seem to stay with the iPhone. Another big reason for teenager use of the iPhone is Facetime. If you want to be part of the crowd, you have to use the apps the crowd is using. I am not sure Facetime still holds as much sway as it used to though.

I have used facetime a lot, it is easy to use and for the most part was pretty smooth. There are now lots of other options out there so but yea as you said, if 10 of your friends have different phones then you all need the same app. Apple also spends a ton in marketing toward teens and families as well. They also try to cater to the hip crowds with the store design etc. Apple marketing teams could sell $500 bluetooth cowpies if they threw enough into ads.

I started to write a long post about the logical fallacies being presented both side of the argument here, then about halfway through the first paragraph I realized I didn't care as at this point it is painfully obvious both sides seem content to remain ignorant about the facts of both android and apple.

My Galaxy Note 2 that I had until last year ran KitKat but that did not present any problems.
Except security patches. That WiFi WPA2 issue? Remember that? Your device more than likely never got patched for it and thus was open to MITM attacks. Older Android devices also won't get patched either.

Anything except bleeding edge and custom ROMs has not been patched for the WPA2 issue, so whatever.

As long as you depend on the OEM for updates, you will be SOL sooner than later.

Which means 82% of american teenagers are hipsters, which means 82% of future american adults will be hipsters. :eek:

Meh all the non carrier fucked Android Samsung Sx, Samsung Note, Nexus, Pixel, Oneplus, Moto Z, Blackberry, Sony Xperia, lines get regular patches... Probably more too. As long as you don't buy garbage carrier fucked or "free" phones or use phones from 3+ years ago, in the US, it's gotten much much better for the Android patch story in the US. I get patches the beginning of every month on all of my devices including my Android tablet. Apple free household since forever. I was BlackBerry before Android, which was before Apple even had a phone.

Back