82-Inch (7 feet) Mitsubishi WD82837 1080p 120Hz 3D-Ready Home Theater HDTV $2599+FS

And you don't even know, because you've never seen them side by side.

DLP does not suck, you just say it sucks because you bought a plasma. Grow up.

So you are saying you know exactly what my experience with DLP is? That is very presumptuous of you. I was unaware that we had a seer amongst us.

As a matter of fact, I have seen DLP tech right up against plasma tech. Guess what.......DLP SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The black level is laughable, the viewing angle is horrendous, the contrast is mediocre at best, the brightness is pathetic and the technology is out-dated. Just do some research. Go to your local electronics store and compare Mitsubishi DLP's, Panasonic plasmas and Samsung LED's.

OR

Just take a short trip to AVSforum and do a little reading. You will amazed at how right I am in my original statement. DLP SUCKS!

I have owned DLP's, plasmas, LCD's and LED LCD's. Plasmas are the superior product. They produce the best picture quality. The new LED displays are getting close, but when Panasonic starts using Kuro tech in the next year or two LED's will fall way behind in PQ.

Incorrect.

The old DLP tvs back before 2004 might have looked like crap to you, but the new 2005-2011 DLPs especially, look farrrrrr better than almost all LCD TVs.. I personally watch a DLP every month almost... they are (without a doubt) far better than most LCDs I watch every month. Plus, they don't even make a 70" LCD....... and that plasma is easily over $4,000 and has much more crappy side effects that come along with plasma TVs like, permanent unchangeable image burn-in..... or hell of a lot more power consumption every month. Please research more man

Please list off the brand/models of these amazing DLP's you speak of, because I've yet to ever come across a DLP that didn't look like crap. Sure, the "newer" ones look much better than the old school DLP's of yore, but they're no where near what a locally-lit LED backlit LCD can do nowadays. And who the hell buys plasmas anymore?

Please list off the brand/models of these amazing DLP's you speak of, because I've yet to ever come across a DLP that didn't look like crap. Sure, the "newer" ones look much better than the old school DLP's of yore, but they're no where near what a locally-lit LED backlit LCD can do nowadays. And who the hell buys plasmas anymore?

While I agree with you about the DLP's, you are completely off base regarding plasma TV's. While I like the PQ of many of the newer LED based LCD's, they really can't compete with a high-end plasma in terms of black levels and color quality. It seems like many people need to read up on new plasma technology or actually go read a bit over at AVSforum.

1) narcissistic to the max, aren't you? :D

2) DLP does not suck, or else this thread wouldn't be so long (with many, many positive people whom actually OWN one). You probably just feel cheated because you paid too much.

AGIAIN.... nobody cares about your expensive old plasma TV here, just a DLP since they clicked it looking for a deal on a DLP. If you want to start some rhetoric argument based off of your own TV, go the avsforum and speak with the other TV nerds there, cause nobody here cares.... no offense.

LCD better than DLP? Nonsense. DLP has much better black levels and black level detail and no ghosting. LCD is bottom of the rung as far as PQ.

Sure, I'd take a plasma over a DLP, but 82" is pretty awesome.

(Been running DLP projectors for years now in the living room).

This.

While I agree with you about the DLP's, you are completely off base regarding plasma TV's. While I like the PQ of many of the newer LED based LCD's, they really can't compete with a high-end plasma in terms of black levels and color quality. It seems like many people need to read up on new plasma technology or actually go read a bit over at AVSforum.

Yeah, and you're paying THOUSANDS for that TV, and it's much, much smaller if you want BETTER quality...... quality really has its limits, and DLP is farrrrrrrrrrrr better "bang for the buck" wise. That's why it's posted and talked about, and liked so much.
If you like plasmas, nice but nobody cares about your expensive plasma here, just a cheap huge DLP!

I don't need to go read anything... if I want to see which looks best I go to a HUGE showroom near my house with EVERY TV OUT right now. LED (to me) looks the best and all the biggest TVs are all in the same one room so I can see them all pretty much side by side

(brandsmart USA is the place by the way, and they play blurays on the LEDs and biggest screens)

Last edited:
Luxor you make me laugh. As I told you via PM....ignorance must truly be bliss :)

Yep I'm ignorant... I'll think how ignorant I am next time I flip on a DLP (again) and see how wrong clearly you were.

If you walked up to this 82 inch and said it looked like crap I (and everyone in the room) would call you crazy. That's a fact lol

Then you would go rambling on like you just did talking about your own TV, when everyone else would enjoy the huge (bigger than yours) screen.

OMG. I saw that link for the samsung 82" LCD.... daaamn. That would be one kick ass HTPC monitor. Go touch the movie you wanna play then sit down.

Wow, there are a lot of douchebags in this thread. I swear to god, 90% of the people that post in TV/Audio/Monitor comparison threads haven't seen a vagina since the day they were born.

This is a gorgeous television, having seen it in person. Most LCDs and Plasma's don't stack up to it's PQ. Many in the same price bracket do, but are considerably smaller. Holy shit, a ~50" Plasma, for the same price, has better PQ than a DLP @ 1.8x the picture size? REALLY? Holy hot tits. Who would have thought!?

That's all.

I swear to god, 90% of the people that post in TV/Audio/Monitor comparison threads haven't seen a vagina since the day they were born.

I guess 10% were born at 11:59PM and it took a couple minutes to get them the rest of the way out?

I'm a front projection guy myself but I want 3D and this is a pretty sweet deal....

And late-model DLP IQ kicks ass btw.

Yeah, if you read the comments (just on this thread) there is at least 5 different people that have seen this TVin person.... not one has said a single thing bad.

Not to mention the reviews from people who have actually bought it, or similar TVs (just smaller.)

All the others naysaying say "read what poeple on the internet forum avsforum say!" when I can just go in person and see that the TV 100% does not suck in any shape, or form. Or any other DLP for sale right now, for that matter.

The sheer amount of misinformation is this thread is just stupid. Gotta love people who have a hard on for out-dated DLP tech.

Anybody know if, after the firmware update for these units, they can show 3D in true 1080p per-eye or do they just convert them to the native checkerboard (half) mode? If it does 1080p per eye I'm in.

The sheer amount of misinformation is this thread is just stupid. Gotta love people who have a hard on for out-dated DLP tech.

Yeah because the good quality everyone sees here in person is fake and not real.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

And if this is old tech, why was is it still shown at all the 09/10 TV shows? 3D just came out recently so OBVIOUSLY you're wrong. Were people talking about 3D TV's and ordering glasses even a year ago? I doubt it. This TV has 3D, check specs

Please, man, give up already....

this would be so hot if it was led or laser

i love my 61" led dlp samsung

Damn people.. Fighting over TVs? You guys make it sound like someone is questioning your manhood and performance in the bed or something. The caucasian can be just as good as the black man.

Please.... Different strokes for different folks.

I OWN THE BEST REAR PROJECTION TV EVER MADE

THE SONY KDS55A3000 !!!!

I bought the WD60C9 model last year on a dell special @ $640...

All I can say is its a great TV, I see LCD, LED and Plasma in the stores and they look like crap compared to my DLP. I realize they have them turned on the highest eye burning settings in the store, but I hate the negatives of LCD's. I do like Plasmas for the most part, as that was my second option.

But for the size / price ratio of the DLP it was an easy winner, and all of its benefits as well.

I love the fact there are "no pixels" on the output picture of a DLP, so you cant really walk up to it and notice any individual dots at all.
I have no, absolutely no brightness uniformity issues, black levels are fairly acceptable when tuned right they are way better than LCD's...but plasma holds the crown on black levels obviously.

But the DLP's picture looks so natural to me when watching pretty much anything. They have surprisingly good upscaling quality built into them. I run a non upscaling DVD player and DVD's simply look awesome on this old crappy sony DVD player.

When the bulb dies, and its replaced its like getting a new display all over again...if there were any issues of brightness degredation over time...they are all "brand new"...unlike any other screens where if plasma or lcd's get weak over time...they stay that way, there is no rejuvenation for cheap.

There are no screen burnin issues and whatnot as seen with Plasma, there is ABSOLUTELY NO ghosting which I freakin love!.... I hate LCD's with there ghosting and plasmas seem to be way to "framy" for me, as I can see the individual frames in a panning shot...really easily.
That doesnt exist with DLP, neither of those issues do.

The only problem one potentially faces and I have this issue currently and I was too lazy to do anything about it through warranty is...screen convergence / geometry issues. My geometry was great from the factory, over the past year on the left side of screen in the center (vertically) .. I notice that lines sag downwards now =( really slightly, maybe by .5 a degree.

Luckily this isnt noticeable in movies or any other content except that which has boxes that border that area.

I think its due to extreme temperature differences in our house between winter and summer. and something shifted , either the screen or something in the light engine.

Another downside is, if you are one of those people that notice rainbow effects...then they may not be great for you as that can cause some people headaches and nausea.
I will be honest and say I DO see them if I quickly shift my eyes back and forth on a scene of great contrasts between light and dark. But, I dont see them if I dont think about it, so it doesnt bother me at all.

My wife and her friend who live with me dont see rainbows at all, people who have come over dont see them either.
I believe the color wheel is a 5 segment one and is a 4x wheel. Which is 60fps x 4, so 240fps the colors flash.

Anyways, bottom line, I wouldnt trade my DLP for an LCD or plasma, especially given the cost!
I even think its lighter then a plasma/lcd TV LOL!

BTW, DLP is not outdated. The digital projects used in some theaters for movies are DLP, of course they are 3 chip DLP which hands down is the best PQ you can get in the indrustry or for your home, but they start at like 15k for the projector!

I am most intrigued by the tech behind DLP, designing a chip with thousands of mirrors on it that change millions of times per second, to generate an image...is just AWESOME to me!

So you are saying you know exactly what my experience with DLP is? That is very presumptuous of you. I was unaware that we had a seer amongst us.

As a matter of fact, I have seen DLP tech right up against plasma tech. Guess what.......DLP SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The black level is laughable, the viewing angle is horrendous, the contrast is mediocre at best, the brightness is pathetic and the technology is out-dated. Just do some research. Go to your local electronics store and compare Mitsubishi DLP's, Panasonic plasmas and Samsung LED's.

OR

Just take a short trip to AVSforum and do a little reading. You will amazed at how right I am in my original statement. DLP SUCKS!

I have owned DLP's, plasmas, LCD's and LED LCD's. Plasmas are the superior product. They produce the best picture quality. The new LED displays are getting close, but when Panasonic starts using Kuro tech in the next year or two LED's will fall way behind in PQ.

LOL Hilarious, if you go buy walking into an electronics store and comparing DLP side by side vs a LCD or Plasma...of course the LCD and plasma will look better.
There freakin display floors look NOTHING like what your house does when you watch your display. You dont turn on these bright ass flood lights that make everything brighten up in your room! They run the plasma and LCD in like EYE BURNING MODE!!! They crank the brightness and colors and everything up as high as they can go on displays in the store.

You take an LCD home w/ the settings they use in the store and your BRAIN will be hurting .. not to mention your eyes. Youll be turning that brightness and whatever down to like 30%.

So yeah...next to a DLP IN THE STORE sure Plasma and LCD will look great, cuz their so damn bright and oversaturated colors. While the DLP would look weak and faint cuz it wasnt designed to be able to burn your eyes out.
On the other hand you take that DLP home...tone down its brightness a bit, make the colors more natural tones and your picture looks PERFECT!

Heck I watch my movies at night, with a small light in the kitchen behind me so there is some ambient light and on white scenes the DLP still blinds my wife and shes really really sensitive to light.
Surprisingly, even if I turn on all the lights in the room .. you would think the DLP should look weak comparatively, but it actually was extremely rich / natural looking while this kid we had over was watching some cartoon movie. I was surprised how awesome it looked with the lights on.

You, my friend are mistaken about the PQ of a DLP. I would easily argue its way better than the crappy LCD (not to mention expensive) tech out there that most people buy.
Plasma...I would say yeah, its better than DLP....but definitely NOT FOR THE PRICE.

Also, people always diss the slightess disadvantage in viewing angles. Um...my DLP is perfect for any angle I have in my living room, our roomate sits about 30 degrees of center and I have sat there as well, the picture is still uniform and as awesome as it is straight on. Its only on UNREALISTIC viewing angles that noone would even bother to be watching from on any display, does it get worse.

Thread crappers like runnin17 aside, I had a question about DLP tech in general. As I mentioned a few pages ago, I have a 2007 57" Mitsubishi. It's picture quality is great in HD. But, I've noticed since Day 1 that whenever a movie or TV program shows something panning, moving horizontally in either direction, there's a slight choppiness effect. I don't know if that's b/c it's DLP or b/c it's 60 Hz and not 120 Hz that the newer Mitsubishi TVs offer. :confused: Other than that, it shows fast motion, like football and racing scenes in movies, just fine. It's just the slow pans that "chop".

Every TV does this to some degree, even movie theatres. Film is traditionally shot in 24fps give or take a fraction for you techies. TV is shot in 29 give or take a fraction.

Unless you have a set that frame interpolation takes place, then you will notice this pretty much no matter what, and it depends on what type of pulldown the set has as well...which the mitsubishis are fine at.

The reason you wont notice it as much on an LCD is because inherent ghosting affect which tends to just blend everything together anyways. On plasmas it is really noticeable because they have no lag and no ghosting affect. So every frame stands out, at least to my eyes.

Its easier to see this happen the bigger screen you have.

Ask most people and they will claim 30fps is max our eyes can really see from...but you gotta be kidding me, because I can see a CRT monitor from a PC, set at 60hz flashing like mad in my face, set that to 75hz and its flashing is totally gone to my eyes!
I can easily tell in games as well something between 40 fps vs 60fps...

The chop you are speaking of I see like none other in movies at the theater ALL THE TIME! lol!

Therefore from above, I would gather what you are experiencing is completely normal and your eyes are just more sensitive to lower fps then most people.

Every TV does this to some degree, even movie theatres. Film is traditionally shot in 24fps give or take a fraction for you techies. TV is shot in 29 give or take a fraction.

Unless you have a set that frame interpolation takes place, then you will notice this pretty much no matter what, and it depends on what type of pulldown the set has as well...which the mitsubishis are fine at.

The reason you wont notice it as much on an LCD is because inherent ghosting affect which tends to just blend everything together anyways. On plasmas it is really noticeable because they have no lag and no ghosting affect. So every frame stands out, at least to my eyes.

Its easier to see this happen the bigger screen you have.

Ask most people and they will claim 30fps is max our eyes can really see from...but you gotta be kidding me, because I can see a CRT monitor from a PC, set at 60hz flashing like mad in my face, set that to 75hz and its flashing is totally gone to my eyes!
I can easily tell in games as well something between 40 fps vs 60fps...

The chop you are speaking of I see like none other in movies at the theater ALL THE TIME! lol!

Therefore from above, I would gather what you are experiencing is completely normal and your eyes are just more sensitive to lower fps then most people.

Ahh, I see, thanks for the explanation. I never noticed it on my LCD computer monitor and haven't noticed it on my new LCD TV I bought for my bedroom last week. I thought maybe the 120 Hz version of LCD and DLP TVs would make that choppy panning less noticeable. Yeah, I'm also sensitive to low frequency settings like that. I also remember back when coworkers and I had a CRT monitors, the ones who had it set to 60 Hz gave me a headache. I'd up that to 75 Hz as well and then it wasn't a problem. :cool:

Ahh, I see, thanks for the explanation. I never noticed it on my LCD computer monitor and haven't noticed it on my new LCD TV I bought for my bedroom last week. I thought maybe the 120 Hz version of LCD and DLP TVs would make that choppy panning less noticeable. Yeah, I'm also sensitive to low frequency settings like that. I also remember back when coworkers and I had a CRT monitors, the ones who had it set to 60 Hz gave me a headache. I'd up that to 75 Hz as well and then it wasn't a problem. :cool:

Yeah, no LCD inherently shows this phenomenon because of their ghosting effect covers it up. So, it really doesnt matter what hz the LCD is, the ghosting still covers up the low fps.

But, I personally cant stand ghosting LOL, so I prefer DLP for that reason.
I find that DLP gives me the closest to theater feel I can get from a display device.

What I learned from this thread:
DLP picture quality is higher than both Plasma and LCD, except when Plasma is better than LCD and DLP, except when LCD is better than Plasma and DLP.

DLP, for the same price, is far better quality.

If you want to spend $3000+ on a plasma, obviously it better be much better (but for it to LOOK better and be $3000 it will be 42" (half the size) and look only I bet probably 5-15% more realistic)

Either way, all these new TVs (dlp or plasma) almost always look awesome.... so if someone says they look like crap (especially DLP) they are clearly talking from "i heard it from this guy on the internet whom is an expert he said" experience. Not actual experience with the TV.

ot: in the amazon ad, who's the chick? She's a cutie.

DLP, for the same price, is far better quality.

If you want to spend $3000+ on a plasma, obviously it better be much better (but for it to LOOK better and be $3000 it will be 42" (half the size) and look only I bet probably 5-15% more realistic)

Either way, all these new TVs (dlp or plasma) almost always look awesome.... so if someone says they look like crap (especially DLP) they are clearly talking from "i heard it from this guy on the internet whom is an expert he said" experience. Not actual experience with the TV.

Wow, your post is full of fail. My 58" plasma cost $2500. It included three pairs of 3D glasses, two 3D blu-rays and a 3D blu-ray player. Stop spouting FUD all over the place and do some frickin' research. All these DLP lovers need to wake up. DLP as it is used in consumer electronics is far inferior to plasma in almost every way. Losers!

Also, I have had actual experience with plenty of DLP HDTV's. Mitshubishis and Sonys alike. The technology is just crap compared to plasma. The PQ is inferior. If you can't see it then I am happy for you. As for me and many, many other HT enthusiasts DLP is bottom of the barrel.

Wow, your post is full of fail. My 58" plasma cost $2500. It included three pairs of 3D glasses, two 3D blu-rays and a 3D blu-ray player. Stop spouting FUD all over the place and do some frickin' research. All these DLP lovers need to wake up. DLP as it is used in consumer electronics is far inferior to plasma in almost every way. Losers!

Also, I have had actual experience with plenty of DLP HDTV's. Mitshubishis and Sonys alike. The technology is just crap compared to plasma. The PQ is inferior. If you can't see it then I am happy for you. As for me and many, many other HT enthusiasts DLP is bottom of the barrel.

LOL, dude youre hopeless.
I already said that, true plasma is better in PQ especially in blacks, but its still fake looking compared to DLP. It still cost more per inch then DLP does, by a longshot.

I beg to differ, LCD is at the bottom of the barrel, I cannot stand the inherent flaws in LCD technology. Even this new LED LCD crap junk. Not to mention, its even more expensive per inch then Plasma is!

Your 58" cost ... yeah 2500$...a 60" dlp, can be had for around 600$...Thats a huge difference for a little bit of image quality.

LOL, dude youre hopeless.
I already said that, true plasma is better in PQ especially in blacks, but its still fake looking compared to DLP. It still cost more per inch then DLP does, by a longshot.

I beg to differ, LCD is at the bottom of the barrel, I cannot stand the inherent flaws in LCD technology. Even this new LED LCD crap junk. Not to mention, its even more expensive per inch then Plasma is!

Your 58" cost ... yeah 2500$...a 60" dlp, can be had for around 600$...Thats a huge difference for a little bit of image quality.

Sounds as if you are the hopeless one. You must have a very mediocre taste in image quality to think that consumer DLP products are worth anything. DLP picture (except for theater quality DLP tech) is just pathetic. I find it funny that you tout DLP as being more real life looking. That is just laughable. Maybe if all you can view is black, white and grays. DLP PQ is washed out junk.

Have fun in DLP land. There is a reason DLP has gone by the way-side. It produces an inferior picture compared to plasma.

Also, I find it funny that you compare my top of the line 58" plasma with a bottom of the line DLP of the same size. Their PQ would be no where near each other. You are a fool and your opinions are laughable. Good day.......

Dude, DLP does not look washed out by any means.
I bet your one of those people that watches their sets with colors WAY WAY WAY oversaturated. Its funny people accuse true to life color as "washed out".

My set by NO MEANS is washed out. There are some people on AVSforum that have calibrated these sets and state multiple times that these newer DLP's produce some really awesome accurate colors, especially once they are professionally calibrated.

Yes, true maybe not deep ink blacks but thats pretty much their one downfall...but still way better than LCD.

I am pretty sure, in fact, that you are basing your grounds off of oversaturated colors, simply because you recommended people go into retail stores and compare DLP vs plasma and LCD side by side. I already explained why thats a VERY VERY bad thing to do, and doesnt represent any of those techs accurately.
Which because of that, Im willin to bet you like how LCD and Plasma look in oversaturated eye burning mode in the store, and I bet thats how you run it at home!

Anyone who walks into a store and decides what tech they end up buying, depending on how they look in the store(comparing the 3 techs), is a downright FOOL! and most people unfortunately base their decision on that very method =/

I have also been in some peoples homes that have pretty nice LCD's / Plasmas and each time I walk away thankful I bought the DLP. I am literally disgusted what settings people run their displays on. They look GOD AWFUL.

I absolutely hate the way people have grown to like and accept oversaturated / glowing colors, its so fake. Thats one reason why I cant even stand the oversaturated candyland graphics of wow, and what a coincidence that many people love the game looks.

Last edited:
I wonder what the power consumption is for this TV. My 57" Mitsubishi, at the wall according to my Kill-A-Watt, including my A/V receiver, which powers 5 speakers, uses a little over 300 W. It also has a couple other devices connect to it, such as an external hard drive for my HTPC and a DVD player on standby. With the HTPC running, it's in the low 400s. The subwoofer is on another outlet.

My new 40" LCD I bought last week is in my bedroom and I've been meaning to move the KAW up there to measure it.

I know the last couple years of DLP from Mitsubishi of all sizes are rated at 200watts normal operating.
Bulb is about 100watts and rest of electronics I guess 100watts.

Plasmas traditionally use a decent bit amount more than LCD, I believe DLP @ 200watts is right in between them.

Sounds as if you are the hopeless one. You must have a very mediocre taste in image quality to think that consumer DLP products are worth anything. DLP picture (except for theater quality DLP tech) is just pathetic. I find it funny that you tout DLP as being more real life looking. That is just laughable. Maybe if all you can view is black, white and grays. DLP PQ is washed out junk.

Have fun in DLP land. There is a reason DLP has gone by the way-side. It produces an inferior picture compared to plasma.

Also, I find it funny that you compare my top of the line 58" plasma with a bottom of the line DLP of the same size. Their PQ would be no where near each other. You are a fool and your opinions are laughable. Good day.......

Also dude, to point out another downfall of plasma if you will, How abouts you leave your plasma sitting on the same image for lets say...a couple YEARS straight.
I will do the same w/ my DLP, ... OH DANG WAIT, the bulb might go about before then, which is ok...$100 replace bulb, picture is same as it was when set was brand new...
Oh whats that? wait a sec...
Your telling me...the image on your Plasma is burned in and wait what? your plasma isnt putting out as good colors anymore? Your kidding...
Oh yeah, you gotta go out and sink another 2500$ into a plasma to get that awesome PQ back...yippie for you!

I know the last couple years of DLP from Mitsubishi of all sizes are rated at 200watts normal operating.
Bulb is about 100watts and rest of electronics I guess 100watts.

Plasmas traditionally use a decent bit amount more than LCD, I believe DLP @ 200watts is right in between them.
Wouldn't the bulb for the 82" version be brighter than the one for, say, my 57" version? Also, where's the best place to buy a DLP bulb for a Mitsu TV? Mine is over 3 years old and still on the original one. I have a feeling it may go out eventually. I'm well over 2,000 hours on it. TIA.

The other thing that struck me as odd is that the 82" TV advertised here is 22" deep. Yet my 57" DLP is only 13" deep. I wonder why Mitsu couldn't keep a similar depth with this larger TV. :confused:

The 82" bulb is exactly the same bulb as even the 60" one. Thats why the screen cant get within the same brightness as a 60" screen. But either way last I knew, which was a few months ago you can still buy bulbs from mitsubishi's website for 99$ shipped.

Theyve been using the same 100watt bulb for the last couple years now.

Also, 2000hrs is not much on a bulb, but good to have a backup just in case. Most last anywhere between 3k-6k hrs.

The 82" frame is much different then the 73 and 60" designs and I believe your 57" is a completely different design due to age, but may be wrong. I do know the 82" is much more reinforced due to its larger size.

Back