80GB Maxtor/CompUSA HDD $39.99 no rebates

diablo111

[H]ard|Gawd
cpusa80gb.jpg

Maxtor/CompUSA 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache
$94.99 -$55 Instant Savings = $39.99

Not too bad, it's PATA...would be good for a spare drive, Linux or Folding box...

though thanks for the linkster, its not all that of a good deal. Not when more space to money ratio gets better the higher we go.

Yes, in store only...yeah the $/per gig isn't very good...however at $40, it may fit into people's budgets that can't afford the higer capacity drives.

They are available online for $39.99 + $5 s/h per order + tax (if applicable). So if you order 2+ its still $5 s/h.

Also, -$55.00 Instant Savings (Valid: 5/1/2005 - 5/7/2005)

Its Generic

80GB, 7200RPM, Internal ATA133 Hard Drive
Manufacturer: Generic
Mfg Part #: L06P080
Product Number: 301730

meh... don't listen to 'em... this is a good deal. .50 cents a gig for a small drive like this is good. it's hard to find good deals on smaller drives like this. i personally don't wanna pay more for a huge drive i'm just gonna use for a boot disk. add the fact that there's no rebate. i'm gonna go pick one up. thanks for the heads up. :D

scrooloose said:
Its Generic

80GB, 7200RPM, Internal ATA133 Hard Drive
Manufacturer: Generic
Mfg Part #: L06P080
Product Number: 301730

It's a Maxtor in a CompUSA box.

The price is fair and NO rebates....

They really need to pass laws about rebates and how long they have to issue them to you. I am sure I could sit on peoples rebates for 3 years then then them back to them after I made a fat profit with the market rates..

Makes a great spare drive in any case, give it another year and this will be a 160 :)

Dilbertic

Seems like a fair deal, may piece together an external enclosure with one.

Considering I was going to order a 40GB for a new box at work at newegg for $55 this is a good price. Picked up two yesterday. :)

I got in on one, and i'll note (as I do in every big maxtor thread) that you should google the hitachi drive utilites and use them to adjust the accoustic managment. Maxtors are by default set to the absolute highest noise (which kills reliability and makes them super loud but lets them advertise better performance) and you can only turn it down just a bit with the maxtor utility. The hitachi one allows (IIRC) settings of 150-290, so I always turn my maxtors all the way down to 150. Performance is still very good.

k1114 said:
I got in on one, and i'll note (as I do in every big maxtor thread) that you should google the hitachi drive utilites and use them to adjust the accoustic managment. Maxtors are by default set to the absolute highest noise (which kills reliability and makes them super loud but lets them advertise better performance) and you can only turn it down just a bit with the maxtor utility. The hitachi one allows (IIRC) settings of 150-290, so I always turn my maxtors all the way down to 150. Performance is still very good.

thanks for the info! what exactly does it adjust? the rpm?

can you use it with seagates and western digitals?

stealth17 said:
thanks for the info! what exactly does it adjust? the rpm?

can you use it with seagates and western digitals?

It adjusts the seek time - you loose a little bit by turning it down, but the tradeoff is well worth it, especially if you have a quiet system.

Not sure about seagate and WD, haven't tried.

k1114 said:
It adjusts the seek time - you loose a little bit by turning it down, but the tradeoff is well worth it, especially if you have a quiet system.

Not sure about seagate and WD, haven't tried.

uhh is it a dos tool? my WD is at 120ns stock...wouldnt a higher number be easier on the drive?

how do i go about adjusting it?

I don't know what the stock is on different drives or if the setting represents ns, but I do know that these maxtors are 250 stock. The drive utilites come in floppy or cd image that you boot from, google hitachi drive utilities.

k1114 said:
I don't know what the stock is on different drives or if the setting represents ns, but I do know that these maxtors are 250 stock. The drive utilites come in floppy or cd image that you boot from, google hitachi drive utilities.

alright which utility?

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

once you set it, will it stay becuase im putting this drive in my xbox...if it will stay in the hdd's bios, then ill put it in my computer, set it, then put it in my xbox.

thanks

EDIT:

is this it?

Feature Tool (v1.97)
This is a DOS-bootable tool for changing various ATA features. The Feature Tool allows you to control some of the features of our Deskstar and Travelstar high performance ATA hard disk drives and supports 48-bit addressing, so it will work with the new large capacity drives.

This version adds support for our latest drives. Changes include:

Added new product support
Added SATA feature settings
Added warnings for SATA feature settings
Updated documentation and install packages to incorporate changes

The Feature Tool allows you to:
Enable or disable the read-ahead or write cache.
Change the drive Automatic Acoustic Management settings to the:
Lowest acoustic emanation setting (Quiet Seek Mode), or
Maximum performance level (Normal Seek Mode).

Change the predefined capacity of the drive. This option can be used in situations where there is a BIOS limitation and the drive is not recognized. See the Users Guide for specific details.
Switch the Ultra DMA mode
Change Advanced Power Mode - allows you to change between the lowest power consumption and the highest power consumption (maximum performance level).
Show Drive Temperature - shows the current drive temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit.
Configure SATA interface - adjust maximum speed and enable/disable Spread Spectrum Clocking.

Yes, that's it. And yes, it changes the setting on the drive so it will stay even after you format it or whatever.

k1114 said:
Yes, that's it. And yes, it changes the setting on the drive so it will stay even after you format it or whatever.

Damn...that rules! The drive is whisper quiet now! Thanks!

Good deal, May have to pick one up for backup purposes just need a external housing.. :)

Just in time. i went home and it looks like my little 13 year old brother used up his 80gig at home downloading anime. gotta get him another one now :D. Thanks!

Back