80G RAID1 perf. VS old 30g ata100 perf.

SILENCER00

Gawd
So I had another hard drive crash - and im looking into backup options.
Right now im running on an old 30G ata100 (7200rpm maybe) quantum fireball lm30, which I just have as backup to my 80g wdse.

I was wondering, since I really dont notice the performance drop from my 80g to this old 30g, would I see any big performance decreases (practical performance decreases) if I would run 2 80g wdse's in raid 1 (mirror)?
I was thinking I could use this raid setup for storage and then get a 36G raptor for my os and apps.... just an idea.
Does this sound reasonable - or is there a better option im missing?

Thanks.

RAID1 is not a backup solution, it's just a mirror that guards against disk failure. There's really no performance drop in doing it, just slightly higher processor utilization. Just be warned that if you should accidentally delete something, get a virus that does that for you, or have some sort of memory or CPU corruption occur, both copies of your data on both drives will be gone. Always have some sort of offline storage for a backup so this doesn't happen.

All im concerned about is the disk failure aspect...so in that regard I'm sure it will alleviate the majority of my problems. I was just worried that I would see noticable performance changes, but if thats not the case, then I'm going to give it a try!

Back