802.11N in a CoreDuo MacBook Pro

t5brick

Supreme [H]ardness
So at work we were messing around with the Apple Mac Pro wireless card and the "N enabler" that Apple has on their website. We were basically trying to figure out what the difference between the MA688Z/A and MA688Z/B cards.

Anyway, I decided to take my 2.0GHz MacBook Pro apart and try the N capable Mac Pro wireless card in it. It works perfectly as an A/B/G card with no drivers or tweaks. After running the "N enabler" and a reboot, the card shows that it has does indeed have N capability. I haven't had an N network to test it on, but I can tell you that this card surely gets better reception than the old one.

Needless to say, I bought the card and kept it in my computer, if only to have the better range. Maybe I'll buy a new Airport Extreme base station next.

For what it's worth, I used a guide I found on the internet. Not trying to claim I did something amazing and unique here. Just thought it was cool and very easy to do. I'm very impressed about the increased range.

Did you use the /A or /B?

I have an order for the /A out right now and it should be in next week. I've been researching this since before the people used the Mac Pro card but now that I know it works I put in my order.

What'd it cost you? Mine was 59.99 US

I've got a /B card but I also installed a /A card. They are nearly identical except for some minor layout changes on the PCB. Both showed up as 802.11N capable after the N enabler was installed.

I get Apple stuff at a small discount.

I've got a /B card but I also installed a /A card. They are nearly identical except for some minor layout changes on the PCB. Both showed up as 802.11N capable after the N enabler was installed.

I get Apple stuff at a small discount.

From what I understand the /A has 2 antenna's the /B has 3? Is this true or am I misinformed. I've never been up close and personal with them so excuse me if I am off on this.

Thank you for your reply :D

From what I understand the /A has 2 antenna's the /B has 3? Is this true or am I misinformed. I've never been up close and personal with them so excuse me if I am off on this.

Thank you for your reply :D

They both have 2 antenna ports. The only difference we could find in the two was in the included documentation.

They both have 2 antenna ports. The only difference we could find in the two was in the included documentation.

Well the cards in the C2D based notebooks have 3 antenna's corrent?

Well the cards in the C2D based notebooks have 3 antenna's corrent?

From what I hear, they do.

The service part number for the C2D portables is 661-4058. The service part number for the Mac Pro and the C2D iMacs is 661-4060(this is the one that you ordered and I have).

I can't see the antenna ports on the portable unit from the picture on GSX. The cards use the same interface but look somewhat different otherwise.

From what I hear, they do.

The service part number for the C2D portables is 661-4058. The service part number for the Mac Pro and the C2D iMacs is 661-4060(this is the one that you ordered and I have).

I can't see the antenna ports on the portable unit from the picture on GSX. The cards use the same interface but look somewhat different otherwise.

GSX?

edit: https://gsx.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GSXAppServer.woa
got it! nice.

I know that this is for a Macbook Pro, but I just bought a Macbook (2.0 Core 2 Duo, black) and I was wondering if N wireless is already enabled. This is what the system profiler says:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87)
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.0.46

Do I need to download the update for this. Also, if I just have a 'g' network, will it do anything? I've heard it will increase range... :)

Open the Network Utility and select the "Network Interface (en1)" adapter. At the bottom it'll tell you the network speed.

Back