802.11n Device Slow on 802.11ax Router

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
I bought a Netgear WAX204. One of my older 2.4Ghz 802.11n devices have very slow network connection to this new router. To my old Wi-Fi router the device connects at around 65Mbps. The device does connect initially at 72 or 65 Mbps to the new router, then within a few moments gets dropped down to the slower speed, sometimes as low as 5 Mbps. Leaving the laptop in the same position, if I unplug the new router and plug my old one back in (same SSID/Password/Security type/location within a few inches) the device connects at 65Mbps.

No amount of setting tweaking (at first I accepted all the defaults) has corrected this. All of my other newer devices are at least as fast or faster than before.

Last edited:
Hook your old router back up, using it as an access point this time, set to use different non-overlapping wifi frequencies than your new router, and connect your old device (and possibly other 802.11n devices) to that access point instead.

Has there been a new firmware for your WAX204 since then? It kind of sounds like there is an issue were 2.4ghz fades off quicker on that particular device. I wouldn't be too shocked by the results you're seeing however, there are definitely times where newer devices aren't as backward compatible as you might like.

Whatever device that is, it's obviously a POS to begin with. It's either an old android phone or a cheap laptop with first gen N in it. It could even have only really been draft spec N, and not actually fully N compliant. Given that it's 2.4ghz only and a 1 x 1 antenna based upon the connection speed, your best bet is to simply retire it. If it is a laptop anything from that area you should be able to just open it up and install a better wifi card. Something like an Intel 7260 dual band AC can be had from Ebay for like $10. Most 1 x 1 devices still had a second antenna in them, even if it wasn't plugged in.

If getting rid of it or replacing the antenna aren't options, then GotNoRice's solution is likely the best one. You'll have to keep the old device around for a bit longer until you retire the old hardware.

The issue is most likely with the data rates set on the new router.

That one device will bring down the rest of your network in terms of speed. I would recommend replacing it or the WiFi card that's inside of it.

The issue is most likely with the data rates set on the new router.

That one device will bring down the rest of your network in terms of speed. I would recommend replacing it or the WiFi card that's inside of it.
I actually created a separate SSID with the single 2.4Ghz device on it and set the other SSID to be 5Ghz. Even with the single device on it, it would still connect at the low rate.

I actually created a separate SSID with the single 2.4Ghz device on it and set the other SSID to be 5Ghz. Even with the single device on it, it would still connect at the low rate.
Can you individually set data rates per radio on a consumer router? If so, set the lowest data rate on the 2.4 ghz radio to be 65 mbps and allow all data rates higher than that. Also verify that any 2.4ghz specific antennas on the router itself are firmly connected. This will significantly impact your coverage but would force the client to the higher rate. I would still recommend replacing the old device as messing with data rates on the router side is a "hacky" way of doing things.

Can you individually set data rates per radio on a consumer router? If so, set the lowest data rate on the 2.4 ghz radio to be 65 mbps and allow all data rates higher than that. Also verify that any 2.4ghz specific antennas on the router itself are firmly connected. This will significantly impact your coverage but would force the client to the higher rate. I would still recommend replacing the old device as messing with data rates on the router side is a "hacky" way of doing things.
Yep, I tried that and it didn't do anything.

Back