802.11g aol connectivity problem (laptop)

wudini

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys, my friends got a compaq presario 2100 with integrated 802.11g. unfortunately for him he has time warner cable internet so he has to connect to the internet via AOL. he recently had a nasty computer problem and he decided to reformat. we got the drivers for his wireless from compaq's web site, fyi. anyway when he's online for an extended period of time his connection gets lost, then when he tries to reconnect to aol it hangs on initializing the modem (his connection is labeled as "Home - Cable"). to correct the problem he has to reboot the machine. after he loses the connection there is 0 activity from his wireless connection icon. is there any way to maybe get around the need for aol to connect to the internet or maybe someone has a solution to the problem. ive exhausted all the things i can think of. any help is appreciated.

OK I'm confused here. Explain a bit better....
- Is the Internet connection DSL or cable?
- If cable, what do you have to "initialize" to access the internet? This isn't "always on"?
- Does he have a wireless router hooked up to the DSL or cable modem?
- If so, what brand/model?
- Why do you need AOL to connect to the Internet?

I think you are confusing AOL with internet. You have cable internet, which is always on. It would be my primary recommendation that you ditch the AOL, it is only clogging up the system and making this more difficult than it needs to be. Once the AOL is gone, post results.

nomar said:
OK I'm confused here. Explain a bit better....
- Is the Internet connection DSL or cable?
- If cable, what do you have to "initialize" to access the internet? This isn't "always on"?
- Does he have a wireless router hooked up to the DSL or cable modem?
- If so, what brand/model?
- Why do you need AOL to connect to the Internet?

Internet is Time Warner Cable
Because it is Time Warner, or "AOL Time Warner" you must connect to the internet via AOL.
As for why it must be Initialized, i have no idea.
Yes there is a wireless router, D-Link 802.11g not sure of model.

M11 said:
I think you are confusing AOL with internet. You have cable internet, which is always on. It would be my primary recommendation that you ditch the AOL, it is only clogging up the system and making this more difficult than it needs to be. Once the AOL is gone, post results.

If it were possible to ditch AOL, it would have been done in a heartbeat. But because his cable company is AOL Time Warner i don't think this is possible. I have tried all i know to connect him via IE & Firefox without the aid of AOL and it just doesnt seem like it can be done.

wudini said:
Because it is Time Warner, or "AOL Time Warner" you must connect to the internet via AOL.
Time Warner offers non-AOL cable services. Why not get straight up cable, and be done with it? The AOL seems like another layer of bloat that is not needed.

If you cannot use IE to browse the internet when you have a cable connection, are using Time Warner, and have AOL, you now have a castrated connection called AOL for broadband. Although the signalling is always on, you CAN'T do anything without using the AOL software to browse the internet.

If this is the case, and he cannot get on using his wireless adapter after getting disconnected, try doing:

Start --> Run --> CMD (Brings up the Command Line)
Type Ipconfig /all to verify you still have an IP address, sometimes when the signal degrades and you get disconnected from a WAP, it has a tendency to default to 0.0.0.0 for an ip addy...
Then type Ipconfig /flushdns
After it clears the DNS cache try reconnecting.

Sometimes when I lose a signal on my wireless card on my lappy, I have to do that and it usually starts working again..

-DVA

My brother has cable internet from AOL Time Warner, and he doesn't have to connect through AOL... http://www.rr.com/ He has Road Runner... no AOL crap, great speed... no BS.....

AOL tries to make things "easier" for people by creating worthless front ends that have AOL written all over them and limited capability.... as mentioned above, rid him of AOL and we'll have one less person struggling to get on the net....

There's a difference between Road Runner from AOL Time Warner, and AOL For Broadband. One is your standard unfettered "Always On" Cable connection, and the other is a castrated version where the user cannot actually use the modem without connecting to AOL first.

-DVA

OK but none of this is helping the original poster. He's stuck with what he has. It sounds like the router doesn't like losing the internet connection. Check out the faq on the manufacturer's website to see the best way of using it with AOL Broadband. I bet they will tell you.

ok, i have experimented with AOl broadband and such, if it is a broadband connection i would almost bet that it is a layer as most of them have said. if your friend is using it for email and messenger then have him try just going through ie and see if it works, since aol basically sends connection information over lines and connects directly to their system i do not see how it is going through the cable, we have the AOL broadband at the office, but we have direcway as our ISP (if that made any sense) we are connected through the direcway to the internet and then we use the TCP/IP connection to AOL make sure ur friend has 9.0 and then try this:

remove all locations (sign on options and edit locations)

add one location, name it tcp/ip

let it detect your connection, it should detect broadband

it will ask for username and password and you should be done....

GOOD LUCK

Back