802.11b vs 802.11g Is it worth upgrading?

haroldmeyer

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an 802.11b system, router, and two stations. Would it be worth it changing to 802.11g ? Has anyone else done this and are happy with the results?

Why do you want / need to upgrade? Faster data transfer over the LAN is all you really stand to gain.

Perhaps, just maybe, you could give just a teeny bit of information about WHY you want to upgrade. Then your question might could be answered.

I've researched the pros and cons of your specific situation, and it turns out that No is your answer.

Considering the speeds of broadband coming into the house, assuming this is a home, 802.11b is fast enough. You won't be browsing the internet any faster.

ktwebb said:
Perhaps, just maybe, you could give just a teeny bit of information about WHY you want to upgrade. Then your question might could be answered.
We do a lot of internet gaming, and I was wondering if a 802.11g would be be any faster?

Unless your net connection is faster than 802.11b's 11Mbps, No. You would, however, likely see improvement in ping times if you went back to wired.

Even LAN gaming would see a negligble benefit as the datapackets for most games arn't bigger then 100kbyte in size, not even close to stressing a 802.11b wireless network, let alone a 802.11g one. I monitored my friends and I LAN party playing BF1942, probably one of the most netcode intensive games out their and the datapackets where no larger then 20kbyte.

Stick with the existing 11b network and save the money for something more usefull like computer upgrades or games.

Back