802.11ac vs. 1Gb Network - Should I Wire or Wireless?

FrostBite

[H]ard|Gawd
I just purchased a home, and I was certain I was going to network my home for gigabit ethernet when I was looking a month back. While I am still going to do cable drops for PoE cameras around the house, I am unsure whether it is really worth it to do cable drops in rooms. With 802.11ac becoming more mainstream (and therefore cheaper) vs. ~$400 to do drops solely for home networking, I am at a crossroads; I am not really interested in doing both. What are your thoughts and considerations for the route I am taking?

I say wired all the way. Wireless is not as reliable nor as secure. It's easier, and that's about all. The only reason I have wireless is for my tablets and phones.

These days if you can get a signal across the space I'd just get an SMB level wifi router. Before making a decision I'd take a wifi AP to the house and see what kind of signal spread you can get. You may or may not need a repeater.

Otherwise wired....so long as you know exactly where you want to put ports.

I always facepalm when this question gets asked because people throw out recommendations without first asking a number of rather critical questions. I'm guessing most have never held a position higher than 'engineer' in a major or large sized company.

I also see people throw out the word "more secure" when talking about wired vs. wireless when NOBODY at [H] is capable of hacking a WPA2-AES key nor do the vast majority of people here know anyone who can. The NSA doesn't need to drive by your house in a black van either considering they can sit in their comfy offices to intercept your "precious" data.

Now with the questions:

What are your needs? What apps will be run across the network?
How big is your home?
1 or 2 levels?
How easy is it to access cabling paths around the home?

I always facepalm when this question gets asked because people throw out recommendations without first asking a number of rather critical questions. I'm guessing most have never held a position higher than 'engineer' in a major or large sized company.

I also see people throw out the word "more secure" when talking about wired vs. wireless when NOBODY at [H] is capable of hacking a WPA2-AES key nor do the vast majority of people here know anyone who can. The NSA doesn't need to drive by your house in a black van either considering they can sit in their comfy offices to intercept your "precious" data.

Now with the questions:

How big is your home?
1 or 2 levels?

1. It's not the NSA I worry about. it's hackers getting to my files, making my systems into bots, using up my bandwidth, and getting my credit card numbers. Granted, the first few are not going to be prevented by having a wired connection if there is wireless on the network otherwise. If there is a wireless access point on the network at all, a hacker can get in. However, he still won't be able to capture traffic packets to my bank site. Wireless signals can be captured by someone just sitting in signal range, or even someone a block away with a Pringles can antenna, and decrypted later using a high end graphics card. I don't do any surfing that has anything to do with my financial on a wireless connection. Even WPA2 is limited to an easily crackable 256-bit encryption strength. With a GTX680, that traffic can be decrypted within hours. That's why I call wired connections more secure. (Granted, I don't know the particulars about it, but my brother-in-law had his credit card number stolen and used by a hacker next door, just by monitoring encrypted traffic and decrypting it using a CUDA video card. He never even connected to the wireless network. I know about all this because that's what the Pueblo police got for evidence against him to prosecute him.)

2. what do all your questions matter when you consider 1?

3. Wireless also happens to have its own periodic disconnect/ reconnect cycle. Every wireless system has it. Most people don't know what it is. They think they get a slowdown in traffic or some interference, and a streaming movie gets a little pixelated for a bit or a VPN connection drops or gets really slow. It's always there. That's why a wired connection is more stable and reliable.

4. finally, there is the matter of ease. a wired connection doesn't need a name or a passkey. it just plugs in. It gets set up once and off you go. It's far easier than a wireless connection.

WPA2-AES cracking - Kali Linux and one really really big word list! (or use online ones to do it for you!)(

These days if you can get a signal across the space I'd just get an SMB level wifi router. Before making a decision I'd take a wifi AP to the house and see what kind of signal spread you can get. You may or may not need a repeater.

Otherwise wired....so long as you know exactly where you want to put ports.

That's one of my biggest problems. I just bought the house, my daughter is 2, and another baby is on the way. There is absolutely no way I will know what is going where and for how long. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do if you position your drops "poorly?" Just close up the junction box and drop more cables?

How big is your home?
1 or 2 levels?

1. The majority of the computer is between the gaming computer and a NAS/HTPC combo; I will probably be making the NAS and HTPC separate in the near future. Next up would be the phones and iPad. We have a few laptops but they rarely get used.
2. The home is 1,500 square feet
3. Single level
4. The cabling isn't too hard as I am on a raised foundation

WPA2-AES cracking - Kali Linux and one really really big word list! (or use online ones to do it for you!)(

Yeah, I was thinking of just setting my WPA2 personal password 15 characters long.

I guess I'll see how well my WiFi is, and if it works, try it out for a bit. If I need more horsepower, I'll have to go the wired route.

1. It's not the NSA I worry about. it's hackers getting to my files, making my systems into bots, using up my bandwidth, and getting my credit card numbers. Granted, the first few are not going to be prevented by having a wired connection if there is wireless on the network otherwise. If there is a wireless access point on the network at all, a hacker can get in. However, he still won't be able to capture traffic packets to my bank site. Wireless signals can be captured by someone just sitting in signal range, or even someone a block away with a Pringles can antenna, and decrypted later using a high end graphics card. I don't do any surfing that has anything to do with my financial on a wireless connection. Even WPA2 is limited to an easily crackable 256-bit encryption strength. With a GTX680, that traffic can be decrypted within hours. That's why I call wired connections more secure. (Granted, I don't know the particulars about it, but my brother-in-law had his credit card number stolen and used by a hacker next door, just by monitoring encrypted traffic and decrypting it using a CUDA video card. He never even connected to the wireless network. I know about all this because that's what the Pueblo police got for evidence against him to prosecute him.)

Oooooookay. Whatever you say.

2. what do all your questions matter when you consider 1?

If he comes back and later on says "Oh, just my wife's ipad and my laptop need internet access, but I'd really like to wire the house".. guess what. You just wasted thousands of dollars and A LOT of time when a $150 wireless router would serve as the solution to his problem rather than wiring CAT5E to every room and purchasing a big switch to aggregate it all. This is why you ask all those questions.

3. Wireless also happens to have its own periodic disconnect/ reconnect cycle. Every wireless system has it. Most people don't know what it is. They think they get a slowdown in traffic or some interference, and a streaming movie gets a little pixelated for a bit or a VPN connection drops or gets really slow. It's always there. That's why a wired connection is more stable and reliable.

4. finally, there is the matter of ease. a wired connection doesn't need a name or a passkey. it just plugs in. It gets set up once and off you go. It's far easier than a wireless connection.

This is why I ask all those questions. How do you recommend something when you have no clue as to what he's going to be doing?

Brilliant. I'll see you when the universe ceases to exist after you brute force my 60+ character string which isn't any sort of "word". Brute forcing is more or less a waste of time once you get past 8 characters. You should know this. :)

[H]ers really need to better understand that the challenge with WPA2 in the field isn't with the securability of it but rather manageability.

if your password isn't 20+ characters long, I'm reading your emails

if you don't have cables in your rooms, you won't be placing wifi APs effectively

For all the paranoia of people cracking your wireless...what kind of area are you going to live in, OP?

Unless you're in a very densely populated area (think apartments in NYC) and/or people are too poor/cheap to get their own ISP for whatever reason....the simple odds of having anyone nearby that is interested enough in your LAN to bother cracking your WPA2-AES are quite small.

In my residential, everyone has their own fairly locked down wifi. Originally when I moved here, I simply ran a MAC whitelist...which is as simple stupid easy to break as security gets. In over a year of running that config no one bothered trying to break in.

if your password isn't 20+ characters long, I'm reading your emails

if you don't have cables in your rooms, you won't be placing wifi APs effectively

Right, whatever you say :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Call me when you're designing wireless networks for buildings with a minimum of a million square feet.

IMHO wire what you can, use wireless for the rest.

Wireless is less reliable, slower and has higher latency.

Remember that gigabit ethernet is full duplex (1 gigabit each way at the same time) but 802.11 wifi standards are only half duplex so the bandwidth is totaled between both directions.

Also Wifi has a lot of overhead.You will never get anywhere close to the listed connected speed in actual transfers.

Also, unless you live somewhere with very clean airwaves (no other routers, cordless phones or microwaves nearby) and have multi-antenna bondable devices you'll likely not connect at the advertised speeds.

So something like this:

WIFI:
Router marketed wireless speed: 600Mbps
Actual connected speed with most devices: 130Mbps to 300mbps
Less interference from nearby competing devices: 65Mbps to 130Mbps
Less ~50% overhead: 32.5 Mbps to 65Mbps
Divide by 8 to go from bits to bytes: ~4 to 8 MB/s

And if you are simultaneously transferring in both directions this halves (due to the half duplex), so 2 - 4MB/s

Gigabit Ethernet on the other hand will sustain up to ~120MB/s throughput in both directions at the same time over NFS in Linux or ~100MB/s in both directions at the same time over CIFS/SMB/SAMBA in Windows. So we are talking as much as 60 times faster.

So, If all you do is connect wireless devices to the internet, then stick with wifi, it's easier, and likely fast enough to saturate your internet connection anyway.

If on the other hand, you plan on having a networked file server, a media server, transfer files between computers or a networked backup system, go for wired. It is so much better and faster it is silly, especially when the marketing figures make it seem like they are close.

So it really depends on what you will be using it for, if the extra speed is worth the time and effort of running wires.

On my home network everything that can be conveniently wired, is. Wifi is only used for phones and occasional use laptops, and when I do anything really demanding of the network on the laptops (like transfer files to my storage server) I plug it in to the closest switch and go wired, as it is so much faster.

Last edited:
For all the paranoia of people cracking your wireless...what kind of area are you going to live in, OP?

Unless you're in a very densely populated area (think apartments in NYC) and/or people are too poor/cheap to get their own ISP for whatever reason....the simple odds of having anyone nearby that is interested enough in your LAN to bother cracking your WPA2-AES are quite small.

In my residential, everyone has their own fairly locked down wifi. Originally when I moved here, I simply ran a MAC whitelist...which is as simple stupid easy to break as security gets. In over a year of running that config no one bothered trying to break in.

I live in a medium density neighborhood. My AP is a Ubiquiti Unifi Long Range unit, set to max power. Security is WPA2 and AES. Password is non-dictionary comination of letters and numbers, 10 digits in length. I regularly monitor the logs, and have - as of yet - not had any unrecognized devices on my network in a year of use.

Just make sure you stick with AES and don't bother with TKIP.

I wire everything I can. It's so much more reliable and stable, and to me that's important.

With an HTPC and a NAS no way I'd rely on wirless for that.

802.11ac is extremely overrated. The main reason IMO is because 802.11ac is 5Ghz ONLY. Yes, most 802.11ac access points will do 2.4Ghz also, but those connections are 802.11n.

The issue with 5Ghz is that performance through walls is shit. Even with 802.11ac, unless you have line of sight to the access point you're still probably going to get better speeds with 2.4Ghz 802.11n.

Also, to say you're not going to do both is a bit silly. Even if you wire your house, you would still want an access point for your laptops, tablets, phones, etc.

...While I am still going to do cable drops for PoE cameras around the house, I am unsure whether it is really worth it to do cable drops in rooms...

If you are already doing the hard work of pulling cables for the cameras, might as well do for network points as well. My 2 cents anyway, far cheaper to do everything at once, rather than do all the work, and redecorate twice.

In my situation it was easier to get wired. The electrician was already here at it was trivial to get a couple of extra drops. Even if you don't immediately use it, it's available to you. Pretty much what Liggywuh pointed out.

I didn't wire the garage because I never foresee watching media out there. If we do it'll take a large remodel. Getting rooms with access you really can't go wrong. Even if you use the wiring for speakers.

Suddenly wife wanted a tv in a room. Just for watching stuff off Netflix and from the server. No problem, already wired.

If you are already doing the hard work of pulling cables for the cameras, might as well do for network points as well. My 2 cents anyway, far cheaper to do everything at once, rather than do all the work, and redecorate twice.

This. If you ARE going to pull cables for the cameras it just makes sense to do your other drops as well.

Zarathustra[H];1040334872 said:
I live in a medium density neighborhood. My AP is a Ubiquiti Unifi Long Range unit, set to max power. Security is WPA2 and AES. Password is non-dictionary comination of letters and numbers, 10 digits in length. I regularly monitor the logs, and have - as of yet - not had any unrecognized devices on my network in a year of use.

Just make sure you stick with AES and don't bother with TKIP.

The people who throw out the "more secure" words aren't the brightest of folks by any means. You'll never be hacked with that setup, ever, unless you have WPS enabled (which is exploitable).

The people who throw out the "more secure" words aren't the brightest of folks by any means. You'll never be hacked with that setup, ever, unless you have WPS enabled (which is exploitable).

Agree.

The main motivation for wired connections is the speed and reliability, not the security. provided Wifi is set up right it can be very secure.

The problem with wireless connections is that the marketing figures on the boxes (up to 600Mbps!!!) are not useful at all, and mostly marketing gibberish, and not at all comparable to gigabit ethernet.

600mbps wifi is NOT 60% of gigabit ethernet

In real life use you'll probably get ~8MB/s file transfers via Wifi, vs 100-120MB/s via gigabit Ethernet. And then if you try to send and receive a file at the same time, the wifi rate will halve, whereas the gigabit rate will stay the same.

Wifi is fine for casual web browsing, but I wouldn't use it for anything else. Especially not for NAS and HTPC use. That has to be wired all the way. None of the other substitutes (wireless, powerline ethernet, ethernet over coax, etc. etc.) can compare to true gigabit ethernet.

Thanks for the information ya'll. Any advice or recommendations on where to put drops when you don't really know what the room layout will be? Did any of you read any good articles that gave good insight?

It looks like you know which direction you're already going to take, but I'll add a couple of extra points for anyone who comes across this thread in the future.

Wireless in general is a little less reliable as there are lot of different things, both physical, and logical, that can impact its performance that don't exist in a cabled world. That being said, I'd be fine with it in a home for most things people do and skip cabling if you don't have the cash for it. As for better performance, there are more options with cable than wireless.

Second. From a wireless security perspective, I think its been slightly exaggerated how easy it is to crack WPA2 with a 64 character pre-shared key or even a 20 character for that matter. That being said, nearly all wireless networks are susceptible to de-auth attacks which brings you back to my 1st point about reliability. Even still, it's unlikely someone would even do this to you unless you're a specific target or someone is playing a prank on you.

If you're still feeling a bit uneasy about WIFi security, roll with WiFi and certificates if you can. It just makes it that much more secure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information ya'll. Any advice or recommendations on where to put drops when you don't really know what the room layout will be? Did any of you read any good articles that gave good insight?

Well most homes room layouts with door and window placements generally restricts your options on furniture layout.

for bedroom, most people prefer to place the bed in such a way that the head board is viewable from the door entering the room. So with that in mind you only have one or two walls the bed will be, from that pick a place that makes most since. Some poeple think you should have 2 drops in a bedroom since you may want a drop near a nightstand and another near where you would place a TV.

For the den (tv room), place it wherever the entertainment center will be located, again most rooms really only have 1 or 2 wall options for this. If you have 2 options then make 2 drops.

Kitchen, put the drop inside one of the cabinets, this way you can run wire through cabinets to get to other parts of the kitchen.

Living Room/Dining Room - these rooms you may not even need a drop. If you think you might, chances are you really wont have any idea what wall it would work on. I would place it on an interior wall (non window wall) since many times larger pieces of furniture works best on this wall and it is where you would most likely need a hard line.

Garage - place the drop where the workbench is, you know where that will be and no one will tell you otherwise!

One place I put one that is the best thing ever is we have a closet on the second floor that is central to the house. I put a drop high on the wall near the ceiling, then using a POE access point there. Best place for wifi coverage and it is out of sight. If I was having a house built I would make sure to have a drop in a few closets just for wifi. Particularly with 80.11AC and AD the coverage is not going to be as good so needing multiple AP maybe needed.

Also, if it is infeasible to run wires in walls or good places, raceway wire tracks matched to the color of the baseboard in your house are an easy alternative that blend in well and are unobtrusive.

I moved into a 3 story duplex and had also had to decide how to wire it. I managed to convert builder's phone runs into RJ45 runs and terminated them in the basement with simple $20 patch panel from HD. That gave me 5 locations on different floors but still not enough to cover the rest of the house. I thought of doing wireless and tried it with one wifi AP that came with my fios router (actiontec) and one airport express that I had. It was ok but speeds sucked for anything other than browsing and mobile access. I did a bit of googling and ended up going with MOCA. One of the best decisions I made. My builder ran coax to pretty much every room in the house and my actiontec had moca enabled by dafault. So I connected my HTPC on floor 2, media center extender on floor 3 and my home server on floor 1 together. I'm running this for a year and had 0 issues with it. Always connects, never fails. I lost count how many times i had to rest my wifi access points and devices during that time

Zarathustra[H];1040337632 said:
Also, if it is infeasible to run wires in walls or good places, raceway wire tracks matched to the color of the baseboard in your house are an easy alternative that blend in well and are unobtrusive.

His wife may have something to say about that. A woman with an eye for aesthetics won't let it happen as it makes a room look like an office and no longer a home.

His wife may have something to say about that. A woman with an eye for aesthetics won't let it happen as it makes a room look like an office and no longer a home.

I find raceways blend rather nicely if you have white baseboards. I don't even notice mine.

Just for reference:

This is an iperf test I just ran.

Top 5 tests from my desktop via gigabit wired ethernet.

Bottom 5 tests from my laptop (Dell Latitude 6430) connected to my wireless network advertised as 300Mbps, actually connected as 130Mbps.

The numbers say it all.

Code:
matt@suppository:~$ iperf -s
------------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  4] local 10.0.1.242 port 5001 connected with 10.0.1.35 port 51703
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.07 GBytes   918 Mbits/sec
[  5] local 10.0.1.242 port 5001 connected with 10.0.1.35 port 51724
[  5]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.10 GBytes   943 Mbits/sec
[  4] local 10.0.1.242 port 5001 connected with 10.0.1.35 port 51738
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.10 GBytes   944 Mbits/sec
[  5] local 10.0.1.242 port 5001 connected with 10.0.1.35 port 51750
[  5]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.10 GBytes   944 Mbits/sec
[  4] local 10.0.1.242 port 5001 connected with 10.0.1.35 port 51769
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.10 GBytes   944 Mbits/sec
[  5] local 10.0.1.242 port 5001 connected with 10.0.1.54 port 49308
[  5]  0.0-10.0 sec  35.7 MBytes  29.9 Mbits/sec
[  4] local 10.0.1.242 port 5001 connected with 10.0.1.54 port 49311
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec  37.7 MBytes  31.6 Mbits/sec
[  5] local 10.0.1.242 port 5001 connected with 10.0.1.54 port 49312
[  5]  0.0-10.0 sec  34.3 MBytes  28.8 Mbits/sec
[  4] local 10.0.1.242 port 5001 connected with 10.0.1.54 port 49314
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec  37.5 MBytes  31.4 Mbits/sec
[  5] local 10.0.1.242 port 5001 connected with 10.0.1.54 port 49315
[  5]  0.0-10.0 sec  34.1 MBytes  28.6 Mbits/sec

Yes, the wired gigabit ethernet is 31 times faster on average, and this is before factoring in full vs. half duplex, which could result in as much as a 50% penalty on the wifi, making the gigabit ethernet 62 times faster...

This should be cut and dry for anyone doing more than phone/tablet/internet browsing.

Hell I want 10Gig...

You don't need raceway if you don't like the look, you just pop the baseboard off and run the cat6 right under it. You will often find the drywall doesn't even go all the way to the ground, if it does cut a channel in it. Pop it back on and it looks like nothing.

There is too much for me to read it all but I run my own cable, if you are doing that then I say only run when and where you know you want it. You cannot guess where you will need it because your damn woman will keep changing her mind lol I got 3 Ethernet drops in one room as the layout changed seemingly yearly. If you are trying to bet then I would say take another posters advice and look for a corner that has the least windows / doors that's where a desk will probably be forced to end up. ANother thing to consider is doubling down on a run, I have a couple places where it was just to run the Ethernet on a wall that was shared by 2 rooms. So you have a face plate on both sides of the wall servicing 2 separate rooms but you only had to do the work of 1 run. The only other thing I would say is the main work is all in running those cables. So when I pull a cable I pull at least 3 EVERY time. 1 coaxial and 2 cat6. There are tons of adapters to different standards that can route over Ethernet so I feel like it never hurts to have a surplus of jacks available.

Also another thing about hard wired. As time goes on you will find more and more garbage you buy uses wifi. Everyones got a phone a tablet and a damn laptop now days right? Even your fridge might be hooked up to wifi, your thermostat, it never ends. So this is all the more reason IMO to run hard wires. You want to save that wireless space for the devices that you have no option with. You don't want to crowd it with stationary desktops that could easily be hard wired so they do not interfere with the speeds and stability phones and fridge get.

This. If you ARE going to pull cables for the cameras it just makes sense to do your other drops as well.

I'll take that bet. Because I can assure you, everyone else that suggested WPA over WEP and WEP over none, said all the same shit then, as you are now.

I don't care if you design boobs for supermodels, your statements are very lax in their approach. Is it secure today? Yes, will it be secure forever, no, and thats
what you are implying.

With that said, get some drops laid, put in some UBNT AP's into the home, and buy some wifi cameras. If thats your goal, that options allows the most benefit from the
drops you are running, and gives you the best flexibility and reasonably good security in an AP. Not to mention, centralized management is so nice, you don't think so now
but you will when you start to have 2-3 or more AP's to work with.

Unfounded bullshit. What's potentially more secure, broadcasting your encrypted data or not broadcasting it? Easiest question ever, unless you're in the wireless business or just trolling.

Unfounded bullshit. What's potentially more secure, broadcasting your encrypted data or not broadcasting it? Easiest question ever, unless you're in the wireless business or just trolling.

There is no such thing as an unhackable network.

Yes, running wired only, vs. Wifi IS more secure, but today, with the correct setup and precautions (using WPA2 with AES a decent long non-dictionary password) is sufficiently secure that it really is't worth worrying about, unless you have reason to believe you are a target to someone, with pretty good abilities/resources.

Yeah, but why not remove an attack vector entirely instead of engaging in guesswork about its security?

You're not going to cover a whole house with wireless and still have good performance everywhere, so how do you connect multiple APs anyway? Screw around with repeaters? Ugh.

I'd rather cough up the $400 somehow and have a performant and secure network instead of a wireless rag rug.

Yeah, but why not remove an attack vector entirely instead of engaging in guesswork about its security?

You're not going to cover a whole house with wireless and still have good performance everywhere, so how do you connect multiple APs anyway? Screw around with repeaters? Ugh.

I'd rather cough up the $400 somehow and have a performant and secure network instead of a wireless rag rug.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you. I strongly prefer wired gigabit Ethernet, but mostly for it's performance.

I actually have link aggregated dual gigabit lines between my main switch and my server, my main switch and my secondary switch, and my secondary switch and my desktop, as I will take all the performance I can get.

I'm merely saying that having a Wifi access point on your network for cellphones and occasional laptop use isn't necessarily going to make your network insecure, if you configure it properly.

These days, your attacks are not coming from AP's and those area's.

Its coming from the Internet into the network.
For every layer we add to a network, there's 1000000000 people that aren't
and have no idea how to.

We're gonna be the last ones to fall, they will go first, those that put their password
as their street address, which happens to also be their SSID, you know, shit like that.

Life is about the easiest target, not the hardest. Most crooks are not interested in the
hardest egg to crack, they want the one with the easiest goop to scoop.

These days, your attacks are not coming from AP's and those area's.

Its coming from the Internet into the network.
For every layer we add to a network, there's 1000000000 people that aren't
and have no idea how to.

We're gonna be the last ones to fall, they will go first, those that put their password
as their street address, which happens to also be their SSID, you know, shit like that.

Life is about the easiest target, not the hardest. Most crooks are not interested in the
hardest egg to crack, they want the one with the easiest goop to scoop.

Yep, those who would attack your network are just like everyone else, they don't want to do more work than they have to.

It's all about making yourself a more difficult target than others, and then the attackers will pick someone who is easier. The exceptions are if you think you are enough of a high value target that someone would attack you regardless of the extra rigor, but most of us don't fall into that category :p

It's like the old joke about the bear:

Steve and Mark are camping when a bear suddenly comes out and growls. Steve starts putting on his tennis shoes.
Mark says, “What are you doing? You can’t outrun a bear!”
Steve says, “I don’t have to outrun the bear—I just have to outrun you!”

You don't need raceway if you don't like the look, you just pop the baseboard off and run the cat6 right under it. You will often find the drywall doesn't even go all the way to the ground, if it does cut a channel in it. Pop it back on and it looks like nothing.

This. The sheetrock almost never goes to the floor, unless you have really odd-sized rooms (and even then, you're supposed to cut it so it doesn't). You can comfortably fit 2 - 3 wires in the gap between the rock and the floor, and basebord comes off pretty easy. Just go slow. Having the basebord off also gives you access to the subfloor, so you can make a hole to the floor below.

Back