802.11a phone? Networking?

nightfly

2[H]4U
Not sure where I should post this, but I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about this.

O.K., so I bought a iphone 3gs in 2010, supposedly the chip in it supports 802.11a. I thought that apple would eventually upgrade the firmware to allow wifi; my home is 802.11a. So, apparently even the iphone 4s won't be connecting with that, so I'm guessing the iphone 5 won't either. Apple seems to be avoiding the 5.4 ghz band for some reason.
Now my choices are: Quit using an iphone in january and pick up a Samsung Galaxy 2 (and give up all the convenient iphone accessories), or buy a new router/access point. Seeing as my router is a Netgear FVS318 (solid as a rock, never a problem) and using a D Link 802.11a access point, what are the best options available? Everything in my house is currently 802.11a, and it works just fine. Or, do I add an 802.11b/g/n access point just for the cell phone? I'm wondering if upgrading to gigabyte ethernet would be worth all the hassle. I'm of the old school where 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' fits. So if I just add an 802.11 b/g/n access point, which is the best choice? If changing the router, I need one with 8 ports, or one with a switch to access the printers. Currently, I'm running:
3 computers hard wired to router.
2 printers hardwired to router through a DLINK printer server (ran hot, so I cut a hole in it and stuck a fan on it).
1 802.11a access point hardwired to router.
1 turtlebeach Audiotron hardwired to router.
1 NAS hardwired to router.
3 computers (one laptop and two desktops) on 802.11a connecting to a DLINK 802.11a access point; desktops with ancient DLING PCI card 802.11a and one laptop with a USB external 802.11a/b/g/n
Everything works as is.
I have one open ethernet port.
Do I add a switch or hub and if so what do I put on it in addition to the 802.11 b/g/n access point?
Or do I put the printers, NAS on a switch?
What switch?
What router?
Or just add the b/g/n wireless access point and hope I don't need any future connections, and forego a faster gigabyte connection for everything? (I have cat 5, don't know if that's good enough for gigabyt ethernet anyway, but I can run new cables if necessary).

Suggestions?

I'd be tempted to just add a super cheap b/g router with a crossover cable into the setup. I did something similar recently to relieve my problem of reconfiguring everything.

Gigabit ethernet will do nothing for you but speed up file transfers between wired PCs on the network.

I'd say upgrade the router but I'd rather see you lose the iPhone. :D

Main iphone advantage is all the accessories available for it. Ihate itunes, and AT&T pretty much blows. But it was my first smartphone. I still like the docking station like things I can just park the phone in, though, and most other phones don't have that. I applied for one of republic wireless android phones, the ones for $19.99 a month unlimited, mainly because they will use the sprint network when wireless isn't available, and my last phone was sprint and worked great (an ancient star tak).

Back