800x600 on a tv sucks...

so i got XP on my HTPC (if you want to call it that)
and it is running at 800 x 600.. through the s-video is there a way to make xp only 640 x 480?

i got all the fonts huge and it works for most things... but every once in a while (all the time actually) i get a website where the text size changer makes no difference.. winamp is doublesized and i can change the playlist font size... but i am just wondering... i might put win2k on it or play with linux... but i dont' have time to do either right now..

umm.. specs for it..
pII 350, gigabyte board
192 mb or ram i think... maybe 170?? 128 + 32
32 mb guilemot hercules something or otehr from a dell (i dont' feel like going upstairs and seeing.. and i never have been able to get the right drivers for it, it works best with nvidia drivers)
10 gig scsi that gets real real hot..

also... there is an inch or maybe even 1.5 inches of black on each side of the screen, how do i "stretch" the image to fill the screen?

do you have any sort of htpc frontend set up? if not you should look intomyhtpc or xlobby. It would make it simpler to navigate and use media files rather than use the winamp playlist

i have no front end, nothing... just winXP at 800 X 600...

i guess i need links to what you are talking about... or i will google it

Text sucks on Svideo, try getting either Powerstrip or TvTools (if your running Nv). Nvidia seems to have better output on Svideo, I hear that their FX series have wicked TV out.

CrimandEvil said:
Text sucks on Svideo, try getting either Powerstrip or TvTools (if your running Nv). Nvidia seems to have better output on Svideo, I hear that their FX series have wicked TV out.

I have a FX5200, the tv out is decent but any tv out on an older tv is gonna look crappy. Definatly look into a front end ... www.myhtpc.net is nice. As for the black bars you need to overscan your image. Somewhere in your videocard drivers there should be a place to "stretch" the image to fit ...

scottatwittenberg said:
through the s-video is there a way to make xp only 640 x 480?

Display properties, settings, advanced, adapter, list all modes.

First time you reboot it will give you a warning, tell it not to fuck with you again.

Frodo

Back