800mm vs 600mm depth racks?

Neutrino

Gawd
I am rebuilding my home lab and i was thinking about consolidating all my servers + network gear into a rack.

The rack will be installed into an apartment room so space is at a premium.

• Height is not an issue, even a 42U would be fine
  • Width again probably not an issue a 600mm will be ok, I don't think i need an extra wide 800mm
  • My issue is with depth, I would really like a 600mm depth, however I am afraid that it will limit my server case choices

this is the rack I'm looking at to buy right now:
https://serverkast.nl/alfaco-27u-serverkast-met-glazen-voordeur-60x60x140cm.php

I am also open to any other advice regarding a rack for home use.

600mm will be too short for most equipment that requires a 4 post rack. Most rails require a 28" depth. Some sliding rails are adjustable down to 24" like HP rails.

Your post is in the wrong section BTW, it should be in regular networking not the gallery.

sorry for posting in the wrong section, my mistake. Unfortunately I don't think i can move it.

Anyway it seems that the correct choice is to go with 800mm despite my lack of space.

We're using 1070mm deep racks for the most part. It's hard to nicely fit servers we use in to anything shorter. 800mm would be the absolute minimum I would be looking at. The Dell servers we are using are 660-700mm deep.

Just checked my rack at home and it's 750mm and it fits my big supermicro 24 bay server, some san enclosures etc fine. I would probably not go any smaller though. Get the 800mm to be safe.

Thanks for the advice guys, I was hoping that I could get away with a 600mm rack, however this would clearly limit far too much my options so 800mm it is :)

600 is way too short for anything except network gear, i've got a very similar design 42u in 800mm and tbh I wish i'd gone for a 1000mm.

Back