$800 Gaming Laptop?

galdoes16

Gawd
I'm looking for a good gaming laptop for around $800. I am currently looking at the Vostro 1500 with the 8600GT, is there anything better for the price?

Well there are several users here selling 'gaming' laptops. Ex: Dell E1705/9400 with a Go 7900 GS. That is more powerful than a 8600GT/8700.

But I'm guessing you're looking in the 15.4" area?

Try also looking for a good ASUS or Toshiba. Though I'm not too sure if they'll be in the same pricerange. :/

vostro is the best bet for $800. i have a 1500 and i can play crisis on medium with shadows on low @ 1280x720. get about 25 fps

I think you are pointed in the right direction with the Dell

Vostro or Inspiron

dont forget to check through Dell Outlet....can get some good deals through there.

Well, I order me a 1700 from the outlet, for less than my configed 1500.

Vostro 1700 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
120 GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive (7200RPM)
9 Cell Primary Battery
17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Laptop Screen
Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Intel 4965 802.11a/g/n Dual-Band Mini Card

Total was $900 Shipped.

Got a much better proc, HDD, and wifi card, plus a bigger screen.
Now, Vista basic doesn't have the new looks right? Is there any way to get them id I want to?

Take a gander at the Dell outlet. I recently got a really good deal for 780 buckers. Here are the specs.

Inspiron 9400/E1705 Notebook: Intel Core Duo Processor T2500
(2GHz/667MHz FSB)
9 Cell Primary Battery
90W AC Adapter
17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Notebook Screen
Intel Pro Wireless 3945
100 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)

you guys are awsome, dont know why i keep forgetting about the forums here

anyway im about to order the vostro 1500 and have been looking all over to find out

if this could play World of Warcraft and Crysis an you guys answered it thx

Take a gander at the Dell outlet. I recently got a really good deal for 780 buckers. Here are the specs.

Inspiron 9400/E1705 Notebook: Intel Core Duo Processor T2500
(2GHz/667MHz FSB)
9 Cell Primary Battery
90W AC Adapter
17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Notebook Screen
Intel Pro Wireless 3945
100 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)

btw are all the outlet computers referbs? or can you get new?

btw are all the outlet computers referbs? or can you get new?

Up top you can select refurbished, new previously ordered, scratch and dent, or off lease. New previously order typically are more expensive since they are just returns that had nothing wrong. I find that scratch and dent can come with the huge discounts. I have bought a few and it is never more than a minor scratch or abrasion on the case. Also, I have never had an issue with refurb dells. My latest buy from the outlet was my XPS M1330 Red, $634 after taxes and shipping. KILLER deal.

I've been able to play multiple instances of WoW on all max settings in the vostro 1500 no problem. Also play TF2 maxed out np.

Will have to try out Crysis some time ;)

What kind of resolution did you guys order on your Dell's? SXGA+?

Seems like the Vostro 1500 might be a decent gaming laptop. For around $1000 what other laptops are decent with games?

I haven't played any PC games since Battlefield 2 I would like to play that and Day or Defeat Source, C&C Generals and maybe Team Fortress 2. I'm looking into playing these older games since most of my gaming is now on the Xbox 360 console.

Also, any idea if this Dell can be made into a Hack-in-tosh? I use both Windows & Mac, would like a Macbook Pro but I just don't have that much money to burn and I don't care for the cheaper Macbooks.

What kind of resolution did you guys order on your Dell's? SXGA+?

Seems like the Vostro 1500 might be a decent gaming laptop. For around $1000 what other laptops are decent with games?

I haven't played any PC games since Battlefield 2 I would like to play that and Day or Defeat Source, C&C Generals and maybe Team Fortress 2. I'm looking into playing these older games since most of my gaming is now on the Xbox 360 console.

Also, any idea if this Dell can be made into a Hack-in-tosh? I use both Windows & Mac, would like a Macbook Pro but I just don't have that much money to burn and I don't care for the cheaper Macbooks.

I'm sure there is some way to get OS X on there...

Pick the WSXGA screen (the first/second option). It uses the higher quality panel (better lighting, not grainy, etc). 1280×800 (which is what WSXGA is) is the perfect resolution for that size screen. I couldn't imagine using a smaller size... plus it puts a cap on you for how high of a res you can play your games. the 8600M GT handles that res fine, any more and it might get tougher.

WSXGA+ is 1680x1050! That is found on 20-22" screens! Why would you want that on a 15.4" screen? That "Wide Screen XGA+" is 1440x900.... found on 17" widescreens.

Looking at Dell's site on Vostro 1500 under LCD types:

XGA = 1024 x 768
XGA w/True Life = 1024 x 768
XGA+ = 1152 x 864
SXGA+ = 1400 x 1050

These resolutions according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XGA

So I guess you recommend the the XGA w/True Life LCD then?

Oh, I guess no one has figured out how to put OSX on the Vostro, oh well.

Thanks.

Looking at Dell's site on Vostro 1500 under LCD types:

XGA = 1024 x 768
XGA w/True Life = 1024 x 768
XGA+ = 1152 x 864
SXGA+ = 1400 x 1050

These resolutions according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XGA

So I guess you recommend the the XGA w/True Life LCD then?

Oh, I guess no one has figured out how to put OSX on the Vostro, oh well.

Thanks.

Dell says "Wide Screen XGA" for example, which is the same as WSXGA.

Look at this page. Yes, I'm saying get the smaller one. There have been multiple threads on notebookreview.com about the higher res dell screens using lower quality panels. There use to be one comparing the two, doing I quick google search I couldn't find it, it's still somewhere though.

You''re absolutely right about the LCDs being Wide Screens. I didn't notice it at first until I read the description carefully.

Thanks for the heads up about the lower quality panels.

Just an update, I love this 1700! It is so much better than my 700m I had a couple years back. I will take some pictures when I get a chance.

Dell says "Wide Screen XGA" for example, which is the same as WSXGA.

Look at this page. Yes, I'm saying get the smaller one. There have been multiple threads on notebookreview.com about the higher res dell screens using lower quality panels. There use to be one comparing the two, doing I quick google search I couldn't find it, it's still somewhere though.

Minor mistake here, 1280x800 is called WXGA. WXGA+ is 1440x900.

There is no such thing as WSXGA, only WSXGA+, which is 1680x1050.

Back