$800 AORUS FO48U 48" 4K OLED (after MIR)

$200 off $1200 with promo code and $200 off with rebate card making it $800. Pretty good deal. And you don't have to deal with HDMI issues with LG C1 as this is built as monitor with display port.
I would grab one if I don't already have 48 in LG C1

Hell of a deal. I'm a little worried about the auto dimming being annpying, but the price is right to try it. I have been reorganizing my office/basement into 2 distinct areas and have been using a 55in C9 for work and gaming. Looking forward to moving my c9 to my gaming area with my ps5 and using this for work and light gaming duty.

Damn, would insta-buy it if it was 42" or so. 48" is probably going to be too big for my desk and also cause head swiveling while playing so close to it. The 43" curved TV I used for a bit as a monitor was the perfect size IMO, but I wanted 120 Hz and VRR so replaced it with an ultrawide and have missed my 4x 1080p quadrants on the desktop ever since.

Damn, would insta-buy it if it was 42" or so. 48" is probably going to be too big for my desk and also cause head swiveling while playing so close to it. The 43" curved TV I used for a bit as a monitor was the perfect size IMO, but I wanted 120 Hz and VRR so replaced it with an ultrawide and have missed my 4x 1080p quadrants on the desktop ever since.
LG 42” C2 should be coming this Spring. :)

Reactions: T4rd
like this
How are people not worried to use an OLED for a work monitor. Static icons and taskbar all day is asking for burn in. If all do is game and watch TV then OK but to use as a monitor for work with Outlook, Excel, and static items for 8 hours a day. NO THANKS

How are people not worried to use an OLED for a work monitor. Static icons and taskbar all day is asking for burn in. If all do is game and watch TV then OK but to use as a monitor for work with Outlook, Excel, and static items for 8 hours a day. NO THANKS
Have been doing it for 4+ years now with no problems along with others in the huge LG OLED thread in the Displays subforum.

Don’t need desktop icons. Auto-hide taskbar. Move stuff around every so often. It’s not an issue. Put up with LCD’s shitty blacks and contrast? NO THANKS

Or this QD OLED from Alienware for $1300 is worth consideration.

Yep. Personally, I'm not at all interested in ultrawides at this point (been there, done that, didn't like the lack of vertical space and overall sense of immersion) but those will probably sell like hotcakes.

Yep. Personally, I'm not at all interested in ultrawides at this point (been there, done that, didn't like the lack of vertical space and overall sense of immersion) but those will probably sell like hotcakes.
I’m a fan of ultrawides for gaming and 16:10 aspect ratio for desktop IT work, though after owning the original Alienware ultrawide AW3418DW for a few years (2017), I would appreciate more if the new QD OLED model also had a 38” option.

Have been doing it for 4+ years now with no problems along with others in the huge LG OLED thread in the Displays subforum.

Don’t need desktop icons. Auto-hide taskbar. Move stuff around every so often. It’s not an issue. Put up with LCD’s shitty blacks and contrast? NO THANKS
If you go out to the homepage you see Kyle's recent opinion on it as well. Gaming and Working at 4K-Going Big!

I’m a fan of ultrawides for gaming and 16:10 aspect ratio for desktop IT work, though after owning the original Alienware ultrawide AW3418DW for a few years (2017), I would appreciate more if the new QD OLED model also had a 38” option.
Yeah, the only ones I owned were 34" and while great horizontally, I grew to hate the lack of vertical desktop space and immersion. To me, it felt like I was looking through a door slit at a speakeasy. The 38" models help that a bit, and might be tolerable (for me), but I just can't go back to LCD tech. Note, I'm not knocking anyone that likes them. I know ultrawides are quite popular and we have different options because one size does not fit all.

If you go out to the homepage you see Kyle's recent opinion on it as well. Gaming and Working at 4K-Going Big!
Yup, saw that when it was posted. I'm just tired of the fearmongering about burn-in that creeps into every OLED thread. Yes, if you keep a full screen Excel spreadsheet or browser open all day, day after day, in the same place and run your OLED emitters on a hot setting, you might eventually run into issues. But to discount the number of people who are now using these as monitors and experiencing no issues because they're smart enough to vary the content every now and then (i.e. normal use) is foolish. Many of us would have no issues buying a new panel every 2-3 years if they burned in because it's just that much better, but the fact is, we haven't had to. A few guys with early OLEDs from 2016 have chimed in and have said that they're finally noticing image retention, but most have admitted that they abused their panels by running 100% OLED backlight and kept windows in static positions year after year.

This tech is more robust than people give it credit for. It has matured and improved since the early tech which WAS more susceptible to burn-in, but there are many mitigations that can prevent that now (improved panel tech that's more robust, auto-dimming, pixel shift, auto pixel refresh cycles, not running OLED light at eye-searing levels, etc.).

And just as much you discredit 'fear mongering' about OLED burn in, I hate to say it but I have experienced OLED burn in in less than a year. I ran pixel flippers, disney calibration, bla bla. Still happens. No, I didn't leave it only on one window, it just happened that the last game I played had some of the UI burn into the screen. Even LTT did a video about this, (you can even see how bad it is on alot of their panels) and found several viewers with the same issue, so while I'm glad it doesn't happen to you, that doesn't mean it can't happen to others.

I don't know what your budget on displays is, but I'm not trying to buy them over and over (every 2 years??? wtf) just because the blacks are blacker. Having a 38" UW, I definitely see your point about vertical size though.

Nothing is perfect. Hopefully miniled is.

And just as much you discredit 'fear mongering' about OLED burn in, I hate to say it but I have experienced OLED burn in in less than a year. I ran pixel flippers, disney calibration, bla bla. Still happens. No, I didn't leave it only on one window, it just happened that the last game I played had some of the UI burn into the screen. Even LTT did a video about this, (you can even see how bad it is on alot of their panels) and found several viewers with the same issue, so while I'm glad it doesn't happen to you, that doesn't mean it can't happen to others.

I don't know what your budget on displays is, but I'm not trying to buy them over and over (every 2 years??? wtf) just because the blacks are blacker. Having a 38" UW, I definitely see your point about vertical size though.

Nothing is perfect. Hopefully miniled is.
You're the odd one out.... What oled light level were you running? Also, oled is awesome for a lot more than pure blacks... Have you even owned or researched them?!

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I'm sure there's minor burn in and degradation after a couple years of use on an OLED, but I'm not believing it's going to be bad enough to notice in any game or most desktop situations unless you're looking for it on a blank solid color screen or something. As long as I get at least 4-5 years out of it too, I'm good with that, as I'm sure I'm going to want to upgrade at that point to something with newer I/O for faster performance and higher resolution or whatever else.

The cool thing about a big 16:9 OLED too is that your can still run 21:9 ultrawide resolutions on it without any backlight bleeding or whatever outside of your frame, so in a dark room, it's literally no different from having an ultrawide monitor anyways. That kind of versatility is totally worth any minor/negligible burn in after a few years to me.

Looks like this deal is back with code Feb4sale in their latest eblast.

Personally I’ll wait for a 3840x1600p OLED from Alienware, I picked up the AW3821DW last year for a great price and it’s just about perfect for work and gaming on current gen cards.

The new AW 3440x1440p does look amazing at a very reasonable price ($1300 and sign up for a 10% coupon) and they give you 3 years guarantee no burn-in so that should give everyone some confidence about OLED burn-in issues.

I ended up returning the Aorus and getting the LG C1 48in from Costco. The variable brightness settings when anything white was on the screen was driving me nuts, especailly changing browser tabs and looking at documents. If you want it purely for gaming though, I'm not sure it can be beat by anything at that price. I used a 55in C9 before this and I'm used to the dark room profile. I used it every day with no burn in issues and now it's doing duty as my movie/console gaming display. The 48in will be doing primarily work stuff and youtube, like the 55in C9 before it.

as a side note, LG will be moving so many of those 42in C2s.. if the price is right

I ended up returning the Aorus and getting the LG C1 48in from Costco. The variable brightness settings when anything white was on the screen was driving me nuts, especailly changing browser tabs and looking at documents. If you want it purely for gaming though, I'm not sure it can be beat by anything at that price. I used a 55in C9 before this and I'm used to the dark room profile. I used it every day with no burn in issues and now it's doing duty as my movie/console gaming display. The 48in will be doing primarily work stuff and youtube, like the 55in C9 before it.
Forgive me if you already know this, but the auto-dimming feature can be disabled with a service remote or Android app which, from what I gather, costs less than $10. If you're paying $1000+ for a display (not to mention a GPU that can run it properly), another few bucks for a device that will let you fix the LG's primary annoyance (IMO) is a drop in the bucket. I haven't done it yet because I haven't been bothered enough by it, but I see this brought up a lot and just want to let people know that you can disable it. At least a couple of people in the huge 48CX thread disabled ASBL and reported positive results afterwards.

Afaik since LG started doing blue/yellow only burn in has dramatically gone down. You dont really hear about C9+ burn in issues

Hell, I'm still using a Pioneer plasma from 2009 and there's no burn in. B6 OLED since 2016, C8 OLED since 2018. No burn in anywhere. It's not hard to avoid.

Forgive me if you already know this, but the auto-dimming feature can be disabled with a service remote or Android app which, from what I gather, costs less than $10. If you're paying $1000+ for a display (not to mention a GPU that can run it properly), another few bucks for a device that will let you fix the LG's primary annoyance (IMO) is a drop in the bucket. I haven't done it yet because I haven't been bothered enough by it, but I see this brought up a lot and just want to let people know that you can disable it. At least a couple of people in the huge 48CX thread disabled ASBL and reported positive results afterwards.
Do you have a thread for how to disable?

I've had this idea for running Ultrawide resolution on a 4K OLED but the image slowly moves up and down the panel and the motorized mount slowly moves the monitor up and down in the opposite direction so the image remains at eye level and avoiding burn in.

Maybe a whole cycle takes 1-2 hours? That would probably be enough to avoid having a games UI burn in...?

Afaik since LG started doing blue/yellow only burn in has dramatically gone down. You dont really hear about C9+ burn in issues
I have a nearly 3 years old C9 with 5000 hours on it and haven't seen any burn in or degradation. Looks nearly as good as my newer CX that I have 500 hours on.

Do you have a thread for how to disable?
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/how-to-turn-off-asbl-on-lg-oled-tv.2440714/

And here's a very short (34s) video on how to do it.

Like I said, you can hunt down one of those service remotes on eBay etc. or, if you have an Android phone (I don't) then there is an app (linked in the AVSForum post).

1. Press the "IN START" button on the remote or app
2. Enter password 0413
3. Scroll down to the OLED section
4. Turn off "TCP Enable" and "GSR Enable"

I've had this idea for running Ultrawide resolution on a 4K OLED but the image slowly moves up and down the panel and the motorized mount slowly moves the monitor up and down in the opposite direction so the image remains at eye level and avoiding burn in.

Maybe a whole cycle takes 1-2 hours? That would probably be enough to avoid having a games UI burn in...?
Sounds a bit overly complicated to compensate for one of the few OLED shortcomings. A more practical solution I think, would be to rotate the display 180° (providing the stock mount supports it and ideally the monitor detects the rotation so you don't have compensate in software) every other time or so often while gaming, while sightly shifting the image around still, as current OLEDs already do.

All of these mitigations or "workarounds" are overkill, IMO. I've played games all day (talking 8+ hours) with static UI elements and haven't even had temporary image retention from it, much less burn-in.

Now, if you do that day after day for weeks/months with a high OLED light level setting, you might eventually encounter an issue. I can't attest to putting 300 hours into a game over a "short" period of time and what effect that might have. But again, assuming you're displaying different content in between gaming sessions, that and the automatic compensation cycles that the TV runs every so often should suffice. I work from home using my OLED 5 days a week, and I've played MANY games from start to end to completion, most of which had static UI elements, and I've had no problems.

I know the deal is now dead but I’m reading Newegg’s return policy and it looks like they will accept returns for 1 dead pixel. Did this change recently?? I thought it was 6 or 8 or something like that?

I know the deal is now dead but I’m reading Newegg’s return policy and it looks like they will accept returns for 1 dead pixel. Did this change recently?? I thought it was 6 or 8 or something like that?
It did change recently.

They been a lot more receptive to returns and RMA since the entire GN thing. They really turned it around but let's see how long they keep it up. They even offer a 30 day Hassel free return now.

It bothered me on the Aorus 48in, not the C1. I don't even notice it in the C1. On the Aorus it's violent!

They been a lot more receptive to returns and RMA since the entire GN thing. They really turned it around but let's see how long they keep it up. They even offer a 30 day Hassel free return now.
Still can't return an unopened CPU

Back