80 % of all 6800 ULTRAS using 2.0 ns memory???

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
From what I hear most 6800 ULTRA:s except some that got PNY are getting 2.0 ns memory on their 6800 ULTRA cards?

I got my leadtek today but I was dead certain I would get 1.6 ns. But the package it comes in and the leadtek homepage only state 256 mb gDDR 3 memory? While I would remember that it said 1.6 ns for the ULTRA before and 2.0 on the GT?

So why the hell did I go with the ULTRA if so :mad: I feel cheatened. It can still be 1.6 ns but what the heck I don´t want to void my warranty if I want to send it back and replace it if possible.

Where did you read that? I've never heard of any Ultras having 2.0ns memory on it.

edit: I see the digit-life review shows the LeadTek A400 Ultra has Samsung 2.0ns memory. LeadTek did the same thing with their 5900... using lower speed memory and overclocking it. I'm not sure that's a good reference for other cards.

Because it is available (and past 1200mhz doesn't really offer much more performance compared to increases in core).

Someone should make a sticky with all the brands that are selling legit 6800 ultras and the ones that have cheaper RAM.

This is likely why Nvidia set the Ultra memory speed at 1100mhz instead of 1200mhz even though 1.6ns ram is 1200mhz rated. Now companies can ship Ultra speed cards with O/C'd 2.0ns (1000mhz) ram since 1.6 is nowhere to be found... If it was 1150mhz or 1200mhz that would be much harder to do. Good idea on NV's part.

But the video card manufacturers like Leadtek and Gainward and others surely planned on having their 1.6 ns modules on their ULTRA. Gainward even on their GT:s. Gainward may still have it on their Ultras though you would think so at least ;)

I found this posted on another forum I have no idea where the guy got that info from or if it´s correct but I post it anyway.

sammafattning 6800U minne(ns):

Leadtek 2.0
Asus 2.0
Msi 2.0 (according to people who has it)
Albatron 2.0
Gainward 1.6 (gäller även 240Gs)
A-open ?
Pny 1.6 (eaccording to people who has it)
Xfx ?
Sparkle 2.0

obs.These spec may change if the manufacturers dont have/want more 1.6 memory cards ( may be a cost and not an availability issue!!!)

Any knowledge on what the eVGA's are using?

*edit* well their website says this:

Video Memory Installed: 256MB 256-bit 1.6ns DDR3

So I assume that it is 1.6ns but anybody know for sure?

No you can´t trust web sites. Gainward have said 1.6 too and leadtek and they have 2.0 memory.

Its a great idea, now we are limited in our overclocks. It's ok though, because whatever nvidia decides its the right thing. :rolleyes:.

It´s a bit strange though for a video card developer that brags about their video card being the biggest with the largest transistor count, the most power urging and loudest that they are not interested in the megahertz race??? Okay that they can´t compete on the core but on the memory since they are having access to the same stuff as ATI they should be able to go higher.

If you look at the 6800 ULTRA it´s a no compromise card whatsoever. Except then from it´s memory specs???

Of course them cropping out and using the 2.0ns chips is probably the reason you see a lot more 6800 Ultras, than you do X800XT-PE's.

if they're putting 2ns ram on ultra's i see absolutely no reason to buy them over the GT, i'm starting to get tired of waiting for my ultra anyway. maybe i'll just get a GT and next time i upgrade pci-express will probably be out making it much more worthwile to get a ultra

oqvist said:
No you can´t trust web sites. Gainward have said 1.6 too and leadtek and they have 2.0 memory.

Indeed, people are complaining on nvnews about Gainward Golden Sample 6800 GT's. They sell for 80 bucks more when compared to competing brands (PNY etc) and said on their website it has 1.6 ns memory. However, now they claim it was an "error" on their part. Yeah, right... Another company I won't be buying from anymore (Incidentally PNY is also on my black list with their "lifetime warranty" scam and faulty GF4 Ti4400 cards...)

Z.

Now this topic makes me wonder, there are quite a few people that can't go 1.1ghz on memory on GT. So... they must have changed something in Ultra for this 2.0ns to run reliably in 1.1ghz :) I would LOVE to see some bios of 1.6ns ram and 2.0ns ram on these ultras as well as what they might have done. (hopefully not speed binning but doing voltage increasing)
When my core can OC well over 25%, its feels slightly strange to see tops 15% oc'ing on memory for my GT. Looking forward to do some voltage increase in memory really :)

Well hopefully the ULTRA:s get the best 2.0 ns memories at least. I think the majority of 2.0 ns memory do 1100 without much trouble really

I asked BFG and they replied "The memory clock on the 6800 Ultra is 1100. We do not quote latencies."

This is understandable since the 1.6ns stuff is apparently in great demand (in contrast to the supply anyhow). I have mixed feelings about this though. Since BFG is selling the card as the OC enthusiast version of an enthusiast card I think they should stick with 1.6ns. In reality though, they are only advertising 1100 and it runs that fine so... Plus, if they are receiving reference cards from nVidia they have no control over the RAM.

B

Most 2ns Samsung chips can reach without problems 1100, and max at about 1150 MHz so with default frequency of 1100 MHz the Ultra cards can be easily equiped with 2ns memory chips. According to the specifications Samsung 2ns chips are rated at 1000 MHz and the 1.6 are rated at 1200, so the 1.6 chips should be able to go easily at least to 1250-1300 MHz, unless their voltage is lowered, because the cards are sold with 1100 stock frequency...

:eek: :eek:

OMG please have 1.6 on my BFG 6800 Ultra! This sucks, now I'm going to be tempted to take off my heatsink to check that but that would mean no lifetime warrenty.

ram.jpg

Someone mind telling me if this is 2.0NS or 1.6NS RAM?

Well, my BFG Ultra most definitely isn't stable at 1200 memory so that's why I was curious if I might have 2.0 instead of 1.6.

I doubt I'll bother to remove the cooling though. From what I've heard the pads on the RAM will fall apart so it'll be obvious it's been tampered with.

I got my BFG Ultra from Best Buy online's absolute first shipment.

B

I have a PNY Ultra, and I can't get the memory to clock higher than 1150mhz. I haven't taken off the heatsink, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find 2.0ns memory in there.

The 1.6ns is supposed to be able to do >1200 at stock speeds.

Yep, my BFG Ultra is similar. It will do 1170 or so, but I haven't really stressed it hard. The core seems ok with 460 though.

I wonder if we will see Doom3 expose some people's GTs as unstable? I'm a bit torn about the RAM speeds with the Ultra. On one hand, the card does exactly what I paid it to do. On the other, we were under the impression that the Ultras all had 1.6ns RAM. I have a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee on mine until next Thursday. If I could actually come up with another Ultra I might return it. Obviously that isn't going to happen though, with availability as it is.

B

Has anybody cracked the heatsink off of the evga 6800 ultra to see if it has 2.0 or 1.6 ns memory. I just picked up a evga board and Im pretty sure it has the slow memory on it.

Back