8 Things Anita Sarkeesian Wants To Change About Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
While giving a lecture at New York University, Anita Sarkeesian outlined the 8 things she wants changed in video games. Hey, I have an idea! Maybe Sarkeesian can use the hundreds of thousands of dollars people have donated to her to fund her own game studio or maybe back other female developers instead of just constantly complaining.

• Avoid the Smurfette principle (don't have just one female character in an ensemble cast, let alone one whose personality is more or less "girl" or "woman.")
  • "Lingerie is not armor" (Dress female characters as something other than sex objects.)
  • Have female characters of various body types
  • Don't over-emphasize female characters' rear ends, not any more than you would the average male character's.
  • Include more female characters of color.
  • Animate female characters to move the way normal women, soldiers or athletes would move.
  • Record female character voiceover so that pain sounds painful, not orgasmic
  • Include female enemies, but don't sexualize those enemies

There are so many things worth fighting for in this cruel world, this IMO is not one of them.

Trying to stir shit with #gamergate? As if it needs anymore?

lol. My daughter would love more video games catered to girls that aren't just dress up games and other lame garbage. For sure.

But this list is ridiculous. In the instances where female characters are depicted in the way she's described, there is no doubt in my mind that it is deliberate and addressing the target audience.

I can't really complain about that list -- well, other than the over-emphasizing characters' rear ends. Is that really a thing? Most of the list is just asking for more variety which I welcome.

So this was what was being discussed in Sargon of Akkad's video with LianaK and Brandon Morse. I didn't know there was an actual list. I thought it was just some of the stuff that was compiled together through her "talks."

That would all cost money. There is one body for male, one for female and one set of animations for each.

The women are Barbie Dolls, the men are He-Man.

Neither are animated like humans.

The toy store is divided into three sections, the pretty princess section, the go die for oil section, and Lego.

Welcome to reality, buy more Lego.

She's free to design games using those rules but she should not be disappointed if nobody buys them.

She's an idiot, flat out. She said men and women sitting in Destiny was sexist cause men have to sit with their legs spread and women don't.

Just.......ugh........

The sad thing is that you can eliminate almost all the problems she listed by simply removing women from games altogether. Think about that for a minute. Is that what she wants? :eek:

It bothers me that people like this just stand around bitching instead of doing something to make a change. Use some of that half million dollars she has received in donations to fund female developers. Is there a reason she can't do that? It's not like it was her money to start with.

Or...how about MAKING the games you want to see made? What is stopping her? She has the money now, why not lead by example?

:(

Gamergate has been vindicated. Those leading the movement have been saying all along that it's all about radical feminists trying to inject their ideology into games and here is the proof.

Either make your own fucking games, don't play the game, or simply shut the fuck up. We don't care.

"Have female characters of various body types"

You know, like Gears of War, where almost ALL the men have the same body type.....

Or Mass Effect 3 where not only does Shepard have the same body as other males in the game, they have the same birthmarks as well!

Some of what she said I agree with, some I don't. But I really get a kick out of the #gamergate fapsquad who are getting utterly butthurt over a woman giving her opinion.

I just don't get this. There's a lot of female characters in video games and they're not dressed in lingerie. In fantasy games the female armor is often a bit skimpy but that plays off the fantasy world much like movies do. There's a lot of action games with female characters dressed in proper atire for the game environment. Even the new tomb raider wasnt overly sexed up in my opinion.

Maybe she should talk to all of her fellow ladies in different entertainment industries that dress like hoes before she worries about video games WHICH ARE MARKETED TOWARDA MALES CONSIDERING THATS THE LARGME MAJORITY OF GAMERS. I know there are stats out there saying that females may be as high as 40+ percent of gamers but that number isn't so cut and dry. A lot of that is probably not top tier titles. If we think about these games that have women in them that are "sexed" up, they're probably games that are mainly played by males.

I may be assuming too much I don't know. Just kind of seems like she's blowing things a bit out of proportion.

I'm really tired of hearing about her.

I think a lot of people are. But people won't shut up about her, and she won't shut up either. Then that leads to this, where news is posted, and people, myself included just make remarks on the utter retardation of it... and the cycle continues.

Or Mass Effect 3 where not only does Shepard have the same body as other males in the game, they have the same birthmarks as well!

I did not know this... o_O That's just weird.

So make female look more like male characters.....then she'll bitch about femal characters not standing out. If people ain't listening to her crying, she ain't getting paid. She'll be crying about something.

Another fun fact about this. Jade from dying light checked all of these boxes, Sarkeesian bitched about her because the character has to save her......just like she saved him. Developers are never going to win with her.

Told ya so.

If only this clickbait bullshit (oh look, from Kotaku) wouldn't even get posted on here this scam artist wouldn't get publicity.

Steve, I know you gotta make money but seriously, this shit is shit.

All she wants is her name in the press so she play outrage pimp and make money off all the shit she's stirring up.

Steve, I know you gotta make money but seriously, this shit is shit.

Really? That's why you think we post stuff like this? Okay, that's cool, you just go ahead and keep your head in the sand while she appears on The Colbert Report, CNN, etc. and is giving lectures on the subject over and over and over, getting free press unchecked.

Would you rather we not post it so that you guys can't voice your opinions on the subject?

Damn dude....that's just...:confused:

Honestly, I dont understand why she thinks developers have any responsibility in catering to these kinds of demands. If the kinds of games people want to buy are the kind she hates, then too bad. She should have her opinion and express it and sure even try to sway peoples opinions but none of this is going to change by simply trying to censor developers.

Really? That's why you think we post stuff like this? Okay, that's cool, you just go ahead and keep your head in the sand while she appears on The Colbert Report, CNN, etc. and is giving lectures on the subject over and over and over, getting free press unchecked.

Would you rather we not post it so that you guys can't voice your opinions on the subject?

Damn dude....that's just...:confused:

We should invite her to do an interview with Kyle. I would love (and pay) to see how that goes. :)

Games are art. If you're not happy with the art that's available, make your own.

The funny thing is, her original videos would have been completely forgotten if the moronic fedora tipping neckbeards of the internet didn't freak out so much about her.

I will say that there is nothing ridiculous about this list. Her original videos were annoying, nitpicky, and she didn't do a very good job of making many points. But this list seems completely reasonable, and I doubt anyone but the worst people would be bothered by any of these changes.

Do men have the right then to make demands of how men are portrayed in Romance Novels then?

Or...how about MAKING the games you want to see made? What is stopping her? She has the money now, why not lead by example?

:(

did you SEE that law and order episode? a woman made a game and then terrorists!

Another fun fact about this. Jade from dying light checked all of these boxes, Sarkeesian bitched about her because the character has to save her......just like she saved him. Developers are never going to win with her.
I was just about to post this.

If Jade; an ass-kicking, zombie-slaying, kickboxing champion Muslim woman is still "problematic" to Anita, then what is acceptable to her?

I wish the gamergate people would stop showering attention on a woman who seemingly cannot be pleased with any female video game character and who feels that Mario Bros., Mario Bros. is misogynistic. My God, Anita is of the belief that men are conditioned to be misogynistic by their use of NES'es in their youth. And this is considered a learned theory by her supporters? Give me a break.

The gamergate folks have driven this idiotic woman into the mainstream. Who among the general public knew who she was 6 months ago? Now she's being given a platform by CBS, Colbert and CNN. What a spectacular own goal by gamergate.

They should have just STFU, stopped sending tweets to her, stop talking about her and let her make a fool of herself. How on earth does a movement born of channer culture not recognize an attention whore when they see one?

Some of what she said I agree with, some I don't. But I really get a kick out of the #gamergate fapsquad who are getting utterly butthurt over a woman giving her opinion.

Opinion it is, and opinion it will stay. Her platform will come to pass and nothing will change, because there's nothing wrong with what currently exists. Character designs are deliberate for their intention and market and they will NOT change based on anything she ever says.

Back