8 states to allow iphone and apple watch to be used as drivers license/state i.d.

Before folks leap on the "omg Apple is evil" bandwagon, Android has had basic support for driver's licenses since Android 11. It's just that, like with many Android frameworks, real-world adoption has been slower than on the Apple side. So you won't really be making a principled stand by sticking (or switching) to Android... you're just going to be late to the same party.

As long as the police can scan the code to confirm it's legit, I don't see a problem with this other than holding that data in your phone or in an account that could potentially be compromised. Sure, someone could compromise the state's systems that hold the data, but holding it in your phone opens another possibility. Maybe I underestimate how secure the data will be on a mobile device.

Another thought, don't unlock your device and let the police take it back to their vehicle to scan... think I'll stick to my physical ID.

Android and iOS do this in a lot of other countries already. I don’t see the big deal, unless what you are actually saying is that you don’t trust the potential persons you may have to show it too, then that’s understandable.

3mcx0d.jpg

So, if your iphone is the only ID you have on you and something happens to you and you're unabled to be IDed because your phone is locked.........
"It's not a replacement, it's a convenience." lolololol

I believe the object of this whole endeavor, is getting you to willingly unlock your phone and hand it to a law enforcement agent.

What do you keep on your phone that makes you worry about a cop seeing it? I've never handed an officer my phone to show them my insurance card (twice). They take a picture.
Anyhow, its a natural progression. As has been said, insurance cards have been kept on phones for years. I keep both a physical copy in my vehicle and a copy on my phone. Id rather not get a ticket for lack of proof. Same with my drivers license. Ill keep both, just in case.
It was only a matter of time before drivers licenses were housed in the same fashion. Not a big deal imo.
I don't forget my wallet very often but when i do i would rather not take the chance of having to waste time driving to the courthouse to show my id.

What do you keep on your phone that makes you worry about a cop seeing it? I've never handed an officer my phone to show them my insurance card (twice). They take a picture.
Anyhow, its a natural progression. As has been said, insurance cards have been kept on phones for years. I keep both a physical copy in my vehicle and a copy on my phone. Id rather not get a ticket for lack of proof. Same with my drivers license. Ill keep both, just in case.
It was only a matter of time before drivers licenses were housed in the same fashion. Not a big deal imo.
I don't forget my wallet very often but when i do i would rather not take the chance of having to waste time driving to the courthouse to show my id.

It doesn't matter what is or isn't on a phone. You never give access unless there is a warrant.

My question is whether or not you'll actually have to unlock your iPhone or watch. I know you can sometimes surface Wallet items from the lock screen through notifications — it'd be great if you could show your ID without unlocking and thus giving others access to the rest of your phone.

I wouldn’t turn this into an Apple vs Android war. This is the progression of the smart phone. Or, at a more basic level, the progression of having unlimited information readily available to nearly every human on the planet. Most people’s entire life can be represented in some way or another on their smart phone.

The abilities that the smart phone gives us are here to stay, the smart phone itself will likely be phased out for something that can’t be easily lost or misplaced.

I think that if the general public doesn’t feel mass interconnectivity causes harm to society, then it’s here to stay.

Before folks leap on the "omg Apple is evil" bandwagon, Android has had basic support for driver's licenses since Android 11. It's just that, like with many Android frameworks, real-world adoption has been slower than on the Apple side. So you won't really be making a principled stand by sticking (or switching) to Android... you're just going to be late to the same party.
Under appreciated comment.

Wait, why is this bad? Is having to carry a plastic card around that much better?

lots of states allow showing insurance via phone too

Not wanting to hand phone to law enforcement for one.

Not trusting anything electronic with your information would be another.

Being concerned that it could somehow be compromised for fake ID's or something more nefarious would be a third.

I'm sure there are many many more reasons why this is a bad idea, but these are the ones I could think of from the top of my head.

It doesn't matter what is or isn't on a phone. You never give access unless there is a warrant.
Why would you give them access? You show it, they take a picture and walk away.

How many people have actually used an insurance app vs paper?

Why would you give them access? You show it, they take a picture and walk away.

How many people have actually used an insurance app vs paper?
Yep and when your phone has been unlocked to show them your ID. I dare you to even twitch to relock it with a gun in your face. Or stop twitching long enough with that taser lighting you up. lol Ya no thanks give me a physical card. I'm not saying I don't trust the vast majority of law enforcement... and there is nothing even close to illegal on any of my devices. Still ya this is so obviously their end round the I forgot my password stuff.

I was so sad when they removed the beta app for driver's license in my country as there will be some universal EU solution in the near future. Felt nice to not have to carry a wallet around, would love to have the ability on a Wear OS 3 watch.

Vault Boy "Hold Up" | Know Your Meme

You want me to willfully hand over my phone to a police officer?

No thanks, I'll keep my little plastic card.
It all hinges on whether the phone stays locked or not. This whole thing carries a huge potential of abuse of power.

A QR or something would be better, provided the phone still needs to be unlocked to go any further. I would need A LOT more information on this.

How hard is it to keep a physical copy of your insurance in your glove box or wallet?
I think people are doing to this to seem hip or cool.

FFS, it's easier to pull out my cards and give them it than have them fuc-handle my phone.

I don't mind having it as an option, I always have the license and insurance card with me at all times anyway.

Now I would never use it unless for some reason it was my only option , but well, *shrugs*.

Why let them access it at all when there is a paper option.
I guess it must depend on where you live. The level of paranoia you have to live with?
The police ive dealt with made it a point to avoid touching my phone.
shrug

I guess it must depend on where you live. The level of paranoia you have to live with?
The police ive dealt with made it a point to avoid touching my phone.
shrug

Why do you assume paranoia? Hell, I haven't been pulled over in over 15 years.

Yep and when your phone has been unlocked to show them your ID. I dare you to even twitch to relock it with a gun in your face. Or stop twitching long enough with that taser lighting you up. lol Ya no thanks give me a physical card. I'm not saying I don't trust the vast majority of law enforcement... and there is nothing even close to illegal on any of my devices. Still ya this is so obviously their end round the I forgot my password stuff.
Ooook.
Why do you assume paranoia? Hell, I haven't been pulled over in over 15 years.
I must be completely off base. Im glad to hear your a law abiding citizen!

You don't do electronic banking or bill pay? And you've never entered your address or any other personal information on a computer? Never made a phone call or browsed the web on a smartphone? Don't have an online stock brokerage? Never used a medical provider with an ERM system? Had any type of medical imaging done in the last 15 years (if so, it's in the cloud)?

I'm pretty sure you already trust electronics with all of your information, like it or not.

You don't do electronic banking or bill pay? And you've never entered your address or any other personal information on a computer? Never made a phone call or browsed the web on a smartphone? Don't have an online stock brokerage? Never used a medical provider with an ERM system? Had any type of medical imaging done in the last 15 years (if so, it's in the cloud)?

I'm pretty sure you already trust electronics with all of your information, like it or not.

It's not an all or nothing proposition.

In some cases there are benefits attached to trusting some of our private data to connected electronic systems, and in those cases each person makes the risk benefit trade-off that makes the most sense for them. If they decide that there is a situation in which they want to take that risk in exchange for the benefit it doesn't mean that they need to throw caution to the wind an accept any risk that comes their way.

The all or nothing fallacy is one of the most common logical fallacies.

I live in AR and you can't do this with your driver's license but for some years now a PDF of your car insurance on your phone has sufficed. I haven't checked with every county but every sheriff and judge I've talked to doesn't care about it.

My question is whether or not you'll actually have to unlock your iPhone or watch. I know you can sometimes surface Wallet items from the lock screen through notifications — it'd be great if you could show your ID without unlocking and thus giving others access to the rest of your phone.
If you lose your phone, the person that finds it will know who you are and where you live.

If you lose your phone, the person that finds it will know who you are and where you live.
In that case, maybe a limited unlock where tapping on the wallet/license on the lock screen authenticates you for that and only that.

We've already had this for years. Drivers license app for both android and iphone.
Po-po will even wait for you to download and set it up if you get pulled over without your plastic card.

Not wanting to hand phone to law enforcement for one.

Being concerned that it could somehow be compromised for fake ID's or something more nefarious would be a third.

I'm sure there are many many more reasons why this is a bad idea, but these are the ones I could think of from the top of my head.
If you are super concerned about the police seeing your phone, an easy work around, don’t use it. And I highly doubt you would need to physically give your phone over. You don’t for any other process such as boarding passes. Besides, why even own a smart phone because it’s clear NSA already knows everything on it.

However, the ability to use it is a great option for those who have forgotten their DL.

Back