8 Port router sudjestions plz

p3n

Gawd
hey guys,

Finally got cable installed at my uni house, theres gonna be six of us using the connection but it'd be nice to have 8 ports.

im looking at the netgear FVS318 which seems like it'd be cool

anyone got anything around that price that is better ?!

I would not spend $100+ for 8-ports, that's just a waste. Why not get a switch or two and a 4 port G router (wireless may come in handy and "it'd be cool")

You can get a G router for what? $30-40 now?
An 8-port D-Link switch is $20 this week at CompUSA.

Or what I said could all be crap since you're in the UK.

I, too, would suggest router plus switch separately, it ends up being quite useful (say you split the comps between two rooms, now only one cable has to run the whole distance, etc, etc).

that'd leave my housemates with a free port and me with none ..

anyway the money is on the router features not the xtra ports ... and im sure it'd be alot cheaper in the US

i dont want wireless cos that is a waste of money ... in a few years when they've worked it out it'll be cool but a,b,g are the k6-2's of netowkring imo, a stepping stone to greatness :)

What kind of features are you looking for? Most routers are pretty much the same. How much does the FVS318 go for in the UK?

What makes you think you'd have only one port?
4 ports on the router - 1 port to connect to switch = 3 connections.
8 porst on the switch - 1 port for router link = 7 connections.

You would have 10 connections for PCs or whatever.

BTW, wireless A was not a stepping stone to B. A is designed more for business use and B was for home and personal uses.

p3n said:
that'd leave my housemates with a free port and me with none ..

anyway the money is on the router features not the xtra ports ... and im sure it'd be alot cheaper in the US

i dont want wireless cos that is a waste of money ... in a few years when they've worked it out it'll be cool but a,b,g are the k6-2's of netowkring imo, a stepping stone to greatness :)

WHAT? 802.11g is 54 Mbps. How fast exactly do you think your cable internet is?

I have built in 802.11g in my laptop, but I haven't even bothered to upgrade my router from 802.11b since I am able to do all I need from my laptop with my measly 11 Mbps.

Seriously, what do you expect from wireless? The same performance as wired. Not gonna happend anytime soon. You always have that extra latency for the wireless encoding and decoding.

Wireless is really nice to be able to sit on the couch and watch football and check fantasy scores or browse the web on a laptop. Or use a pda to be available on IM anywhere around the house or office. Even for a desktop machine that is not being used for gaming, wireless is a great solution for networking with hassling with snaking wires through walls or floors.

Wireless is not a wired replacement for high performance networking, and it won't be anytime soon. For everything short of gaming, wireless a great answer for connection sharing without hassling with wires.

p3n,

I have been running a Netgear FVS318 for over a month now and it is wonderful.. The best thing about this router, and the main reason I chose it, is that it also has built-in firewall features (NAT, SPI and DoS protection). With the latest firmware you can even filter ActiveX, Cookies and even keywords at the router! My FVS318 replaced my old Linksys BEFSR81 which was nice, but did not offer any firewall protection other than NAT. I highly recommend the FVS318.. Netgear is even running a $10 off rebate if purchased before the end of this month (9/30).

Back