8 gigs of ram worth it for gaming?

Easius

Limp Gawd
Have a HP dv7-1261wm running windows 7 64bit

HP 17" Pavilion Laptop PC:
17.0" Diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display
AMD Turion X2 RM-74 Dual-Core Mobile Processor (2.2ghz)
4GB DDR2 System Memory
500GB 5400rpm SATA hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 3650 Graphics with M86-SCE with up to 2302MB total graphics memory with 512MB dedicated graphics memory

I was wondering if by upgrading my memory to 8 gigs that the 3650 could use the total 2302 shared memory of the video card and then free up more for actual game then.

I'm not looking to do this right now but down the road as an upgrade option and just want to hear what people think about it.

Wait until memory prices go down, but right now that won't be the greatest game system anyways; the Turion X2 will be something of a bottleneck, and the Radeon HD 3650 will be a limit, too. It would be better to pocket the money and get a completely new system sooner than you would otherwise.

While memory is pretty cheap right now, you won't see a great enough improvement to justify the cost.

The amount of hyper memory doesn't make much of a difference when you already have 512MB of much faster local memory. I doubt you would see more than a tiny improvement in gaming performance due to the extra shared memory going from 4GB to 8GB.

Having more memory installed allows more caching and you might notice an increase where duplicate IO or paging was causing memory to be paged out. I <3 having 8GB installed... on my desktops.

Back