8 gb vs 16 on R2500 u laptops

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the X360 HP Ryzen R2500 u 16gb and just picked up an Huawei R2500 u laptop 8GB I am thinking of giving to my son. When running Valley Benchmark the Huawei averages 44 FPS and the HP 48 FPS The Huawei has 2 4gb Samsung 2400 the HP G Skill 2400 2 8gb modules. Unfortunately the Huawei ram is soldered on board and NOT upgradable. The HP has a 960 evo boot drive and the Huawei has a 970 evo boot drive, both NVme. I tweaked and reset the Radeon global settings on both machines. Drivers are both 25 Sep 18. The HP has Video ram locked at 256, the Huawei is locked at 1GB video ram. Both are using shared memory and can borrow more. at 1280 x 720 the HP averages 48 FPS the Huawei 44 FPS. I have turned off all unnecessary tasks on the Huawei, antivirus, Malwarebytes etc ... Does the 8GB cause the lower FPS?. Not a real big deal but I like machines to be at max performance... Also tried changing Page file off 4, 8 and 16gb no real difference.. are there any tweaks I can do?

The timings on the RAM may be tighter on the HP, or it just has a slightly better thermal solution or more aggressive TDP programmed. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well just ran Passmark and OpenCL is NOT working. Don't know if that makes a difference or not but would like it to work. How to fix anyone?

at 1280 x 720 the HP averages 48 FPS the Huawei 44 FPS

All things being equal, these laptops should achieve equal benchmark results. But all things are not equal; in addition to different physical hardware selection, the chassis and cooling solution is completely different from one system to the next.

48 FPS represents a +9% performance uplift over 44 FPS. That's... not very much, especially in light of the margin of error for benchmarks, and easily explainable with the variables at play. I believe you're investigating a problem that isn't a problem, it's just how it is.

There's more to it then that. I'm also having disk access issues. I always make a backup of a machine when I first get it. The 970 evo I installed would not let my original backup image boot. it took four attempts to clone to the new drive using Macrium reflect. I was also seeing the benchmark slow down to a crawl for a second or when loading large textures on a Nvme drive?. Open Cl wasn't was even installed on this machine. I have never had any issues cloning boot drives in the past. This machine was bought on 26 Sept and I have fought the thing for three days. It should Not be having these issues. Problem Fixed !! It went back to walmart and the 970 back to best buy. I don't like glitchy machines....

Sounds like you made the right call then. Your framerate variances sounded fine, but the rest of the stuff you described falls into the official "no good" category.

Back