8 DDR3 slots for Ivy Bridge MBs?

nakedhand

2[H]4U
Wondering if anyone here has informed knowledge (or a good guess) whether we should be expecting boards with 8 DDR3 slots?

I am most certainly upgrading to IB (unless it´s a disaster like some recent AMD iteration), and would love to see the MB makers equip their enthusiast and performance series with 8 slots instead of 4 and 6.

There will be some 8 memory slot boards for SB-E (32nm, quad channel ram, 40 PCIe lanes) that should be out a month or so unless that has changed. Ivy-Bridge the 22nm shrink of SB on lga1155 that will be out Q2 2012 will not have 8 slot boards.

agreed with drescherjm

x79 SB-E socket 2011 boards can have up to 8 memory slots and there are already pics out of boards that have 8

z77 and the other panther point ivy bridge socket 1155 boards won't have more than 4

Only two DIMM per channel. It's an electrical limitation that has a lot of workarounds... in the server market. And all carry a penalty.

There will be some 8 memory slot boards for SB-E (32nm, quad channel ram, 40 PCIe lanes) that should be out a month or so unless that has changed. Ivy-Bridge the 22nm shrink of SB on lga1155 that will be out Q2 2012 will not have 8 slot boards.

Only two DIMM per channel. It's an electrical limitation that has a lot of workarounds... in the server market. And all carry a penalty.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will be waiting for 8GB modules then, which hopefully will coincide with the arrival of IB.

We already have 8GB DIMMs. But they aren't exactly cheap.
8GB registered ECC modules aren't too bad. The trouble is LGA1155 processors (even the server ones) don't support registered memory. 8GB sticks of desktop memory are still insanely expensive. Presumablly they will come down in price eventually but I wouldn't bet on it happening any time soon.

If you want to build a machine with 32GB of memory in the near future I think SB-E will be your best bet.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will be waiting for 8GB modules then, which hopefully will coincide with the arrival of IB.

Unbuffered non-ECC 8GB DIMMs are already on the market - at ridiculously high prices (about $31 per GB, or $500 per 16GB - compared to the roughly $6 per GB / $100 per 16GB for 4GB DIMMs). Using those prices, two 8GB DIMMs are five times more expensive than four 4GB DIMMs

Back