8 core version of 8700k is coming this Fall!

Rakanoth

n00b
I could not be happier :D :D :D

AMD is going to be destroyed. Sorry AMD :p

So you just picked up that six-core Core i7 8086K? Well, Intel will release their 8-core mainstream part in the Fall, the processor will be based on Coffee Lake, meaning a new SKU with two more cores. The LGA 2066 platform will also get an update towards a 22-core processor.

The news reaches us through the otherwise well-informed PC Watch, The Coffee Lake Refresh with the 8-core part would be available in the market by September. The processor is released by Intel to close the gap towards the competitor's Ryzen refresh.

There is other news, the Basin Falls platform will also receive a refresh. Intel's LGA-2066 platform for Skylake-X and Xeon W would see another SKU with four more cores, moving from 18 cores towards processor with up to 22 cores. Cascade Lake would be been postponed towards 2019.

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_8_core_coffee_lake_to_be_released_in_this_fall.html

For the original source news in Japanese:
https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/ubiq/1126720.html

And do you think it will be cheaper than the 8086k at $420?

More notably is that Cascade Lake is 2019. Most of us suspected this, though some such as Dayuman and Juangra claimed Q418.

Or that it will launch at either 4.7 GHz or 5 GHz turbo frequencies, despite the higher price?

Maybe this part will be an exception to the rule of releases past, but if I had an 8700k, I'd keep it for the higher clocks and lower heat.

I could not be happier :D :D :D

AMD is going to be destroyed. Sorry AMD :p

Are you 12 years old?

You should be grateful AMD forced them to finally get off their ass so you can get your 8 core chip years after AMD has launched them. Wonder how hot it'll run, the 10 core was nearly 3x the power use of Zen1 with only 25% more performance... Too little, too late though, AMD looks to have process advantage for the next few years. If I was a jackass, I'd be happy at your misfortune of seeing your favourite sports team lose, for many years in a row.
The elephant in the room is that Intel can't even compete with an air cooled 32 core thread ripper, without using a 2kW chiller and cooled water on a microdode updated, cherry picked 28 core xeon, so what makes you think they will compete with Zen 2 on 7nm? It's game over until they find a new material to make transistors out of, AMD already has access to 5nm via GF in near future.

If I could sage this thread, I would.

Are you 12 years old?

You should be grateful AMD forced them to finally get off their ass so you can get your 8 core chip years after AMD has launched them. Wonder how hot it'll run, the 10 core was nearly 3x the power use of Zen1 with only 25% more performance... Too little, too late though, AMD looks to have process advantage for the next few years. If I was a jackass, I'd be happy at your misfortune of seeing your favourite sports team lose, for many years in a row.
The elephant in the room is that Intel can't even compete with an air cooled 32 core thread ripper, without using a 2kW chiller and cooled water on a microdode updated, cherry picked 28 core xeon, so what makes you think they will compete with Zen 2 on 7nm? It's game over until they find a new material to make transistors out of, AMD already has access to 5nm via GF in near future.

I put a smiley at the end of my sentence to signify it was meant to be humorous/not so serious/silly. Is it clear to you know or do you still have problem with it?

In other news, your shiny new Z370 motherboard will now be incompatible because it needs extra power pins to satisfy the same 95 TDP with more cores. But it will also be an "upgrade" because you'll get DDR4 2800 support instead of just DDR4 2666 support like the current Z370 boards officially support.

/s

In other news, your shiny new Z370 motherboard will now be incompatible because it needs extra power pins to satisfy the same 95 TDP with more cores. But it will also be an "upgrade" because you'll get DDR4 2800 support instead of just DDR4 2666 support like the current Z370 boards officially support.

/s

Honestly, this is what makes me not upgrade my CPU more often. I just don't feel like tearing the whole case apart to put a new MOBO in as well.

Really curious to see how high these things will go. At this point, over an 8700K, I’ll take clock speed over 2 more cores.

Now if these will reliably OC all cores to 4.8+, both clock and AVX, now we’re talking..

I bet intel solders these things. How else are they going to get the volt/heat/clock they desire without it?

If it's anything like time I wouldn't expect to get your hands on them right away.

Are you 12 years old?

I hate validating you guys, but something needs to be said about this. You have posted about intels 28 core about 400000000000000 times.. so let me explain something to you.

The 28 core they showed is not comparable to a TR, with reference to the air vs chiller. It's not comparable bexause the TR was running stock clocks (3ghz, 3.4 boost) and the Intel chip was running 5ghz..

Do you know whether a stock 28 core chip will require the same chiller or (it won't) could it just be run on air as well?

Show me a TR running all cores at 5ghz on air. Good luck ;)

Note: I don't condone Intel's 5ghz fiasco, either. I think they are fools and should have just released it at stock. Whoever had this bright idea should be looking for work elsewhere, but that doesn't excuse you from making stupid and exaggerated comparisons.

More notably is that Cascade Lake is 2019. Most of us suspected this, though some such as Dayuman and Juangra claimed Q418.

Juanrga, it is to be expected, he thinks there w ill be 5ghz ambient cooled 28 cores doing 5ghz on 14nm ++, that is probably not doable on 10 or 7nm but rather a issues of thermal displacement.

I hate validating you guys, but something needs to be said about this. You have posted about intels 28 core about 400000000000000 times.. so let me explain something to you.

The 28 core they showed is not comparable to a TR, with reference to the air vs chiller. It's not comparable bexause the TR was running stock clocks (3ghz, 3.4 boost) and the Intel chip was running 5ghz..

Do you know whether a stock 28 core chip will require the same chiller or (it won't) could it just be run on air as well?

Show me a TR running all cores at 5ghz on air. Good luck ;)

Note: I don't condone Intel's 5ghz fiasco, either. I think they are fools and should have just released it at stock. Whoever had this bright idea should be looking for work elsewhere, but that doesn't excuse you from making stupid and exaggerated comparisons.

I agree it was a terrible move. Perhaps they didn't expect TR2 to perform as good? They are binned dies and it is a small team, so perhaps they don't have very good leaks.
Intel literally pulled a Fury/Vega. Intel HEDTs require a decent amount of power to haul ass. The point is almost no one will run that chip if they released it, like that. So 5GHz may as well be a glory bench for 99% of users. Very few run chilled water.
But the real issue is that it took 5GHz on 28 cores and a kW or two of chiller, to have the same benches as a 3-3.4GHz 32 core air cooled TR2. That's a bit of an embarrassment and shows utter desperation and a lack in technology leadership. Intel has a bit of catch up to play now.
TR2 won't run 5GHz on air, maybe on some awesome cascade phase change system (2kW lol) or ln2, but yes Intel do have an air cooled version, it's called a Xeon® Platinum 8180 Processor.
  • Processor Base Frequency 2.50 GHz
  • Max Turbo Frequency 3.80 GHz
  • Cache 38.5 MB L3
  • TDP 205 W

Now you know why they had to use chilled water to beat TR2, it has a higher base for sustained loads, very similar IPC for some workloads and more cores. TR2 has max TDP 250W though so a bit more thermal load.

But the real issue is that it took 5GHz on 28 cores and a kW or two of chiller, to have the same benches as a 3-3.4GHz 32 core air cooled TR2. That's a bit of an embarrassment and shows utter desperation and a lack in technology leadership. Intel has a bit of catch up to play now.
I don't think any TR2 benchmarks have been shown, and the only OCed 28-core score they seemed to have shown was a 7334 score for Cinebench 15, which is faster than dual Epyc 7601s, so a more attainable and reasonable power consumption 4 GHz 28-core would be still incredibly formidable.

I agree it was a terrible move. Perhaps they didn't expect TR2 to perform as good? They are binned dies and it is a small team, so perhaps they don't have very good leaks.
Intel literally pulled a Fury/Vega. Intel HEDTs require a decent amount of power to haul ass. The point is almost no one will run that chip if they released it, like that. So 5GHz may as well be a glory bench for 99% of users. Very few run chilled water.
TR2 won't run 5GHz on air, maybe on some awesome cascade phase change system (2kW lol) or ln2, but yes Intel do have an air cooled version, it's called a Xeon® Platinum 8180 Processor.

• Processor Base Frequency 2.50 GHz
    • Max Turbo Frequency 3.80 GHz
    • Cache 38.5 MB L3
    • TDP 205 W
Now you know why they had to use chilled water to beat TR2, it has a higher base for sustained loads, very similar IPC for some workloads and more cores. TR2 has max TDP 250W though so a bit more thermal load.

I feel we are basically agreeing here. So a response isn't really needed.

But have, will these chips be Spectre, Meltdown proofed or do we have another 'Flawed' Coffee Lake chip with two more cores glued on ?

But have, will these chips be Spectre, Meltdown proofed or do we have another 'Flawed' Coffee Lake chip with two more cores glued on ?

I thought there wasn't a fix until the next new architecture comes out. If it is just a CFL chip with 2 more cores, I'd expect the same flaws.

I was thinking of upgrading my intel box since its starting to show its age but given the current situation (spectre/meltdown, price v performance), I might have to swap over to having multiple AMD setups instead. Though the AMDs had a rough start, with the bios patches / firmware updates, general stability and memory compatibility both are working as intended in my 2x itx builds - 1x Asrock (current) & 1x Biostar (backup box).

I thought I read in March that Intel planned to issue 'fixed chips' this year and yes I would have thought new architecture is required to accomplish the fix, it didn't mention that in the article I read.

Juanrga, it is to be expected, he thinks there w ill be 5ghz ambient cooled 28 cores doing 5ghz on 14nm ++, that is probably not doable on 10 or 7nm but rather a issues of thermal displacement.

Instead writing about what you believe I think, next time better if you just quote something of what I am saying...

No way 5GHz will be a base clock.

I will say once again that 5GHz is an overclock that Intel is promising, so 5GHz is likely to be max single-core (dual-core?) boost for the chip on stock settings.

The chip used during Intel demo was a Skylake Xeon with modified microcode, not the real HEDT chip that will be launched. The Xeon is 14nm+ with ordinary TIM. The HEDT chip (Cascade-Lake) is 14nm++ with STIM (Solder TIM).

Intel pushed up that Skylake Xeon to 5GHz with exotic cooling, only to demonstrate performance of 28C @ 5GHz, not because you need that setup for the new Cascade-Lake chip. There are rumors that stock turbo will be 5GHz, as in current 8086k

Link for 2019?

Cascade Lake release date did target 2018

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/cascade_lake#Release_Dates

and PCWatch just confirmed a pair of days ago that Cascade Lake X is coming "by the end of year"

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...-September-on-the-Z390-platform.308562.0.html

Link for 2019?

Cascade Lake release date did target 2018

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/cascade_lake#Release_Dates

and PCWatch just confirmed a pair of days ago that Cascade Lake X is coming "by the end of year"

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...-September-on-the-Z390-platform.308562.0.html

umm... the link provided by the OP.

The notebook link said 22 core SKL-x hedt and ultra premium CCL-x. Are those CCL-x parts hedt or workstation?

So - you're saying you won't buy a chip which is vulnerable to Spectre?

As a reminder, GPZ Variant 1 (Spectre) mitigation is provided through operating system updates that were made available previously by AMD ecosystem partners. GPZ Variant 3 (Meltdown) does not apply to AMD because of our processor design.

While we believe it is difficult to exploit Variant 2 on AMD processors, we actively worked with our customers and partners to deploy the above described combination of operating system patches and microcode updates for AMD processors to further mitigate the risk. A whitepaper detailing the AMD recommended mitigation for Windows is available, as well as links to ecosystem resources for the latest updates.

Based on the difficulty to exploit the vulnerability, AMD and our ecosystem partners currently recommend using the default setting that maintains support for memory disambiguation.

We have not identified any AMD x86 products susceptible to the Variant 3a vulnerability in our analysis to-date.

no i'll buy amd though.

Spectre is almost entirely irrelevant to desktop users, even if it were unfixed.

umm... the link provided by the OP.

The notebook link said 22 core SKL-x hedt and ultra premium CCL-x. Are those CCL-x parts hedt or workstation?

The link in the OP is speculating "Cascade Lake would be been postponed towards 2019."

The notebook link says "Intel will also launch refreshed 22-core Skylake-X HEDT processors and ultra-premium Cascade Lake-X chips by the end of the year." "Intel promised there will be versions of that chip launching with the Cascade Lake-X family by the end of this year."

The link in the OP is speculating "Cascade Lake would be been postponed towards 2019."

The notebook link says "Intel will also launch refreshed 22-core Skylake-X HEDT processors and ultra-premium Cascade Lake-X chips by the end of the year." "Intel promised there will be versions of that chip launching with the Cascade Lake-X family by the end of this year."

You skipped a few sentences before that last quote. They are promising CCLx version of the 28 core used in the demo. That 28 core was a Xeon workstation SKLx not an hedt chip. So, they are promising a workstation CCLx by the end of the year.

This is great news if you have about $10k to blow.

A lack of competition to Intel isn't something that should be joked about, so I agree with your statement albeit with a dash less of serious business - pre sarcasm clear-up on part of the OP. The sage is so strong it's like weed smoke... intoxicating.

I'm getting to be a lot more chill than I used to be - back when I was a n00b I would have been quick to jump on the SAGE SAGE SAGE bandwagon.... lol

A lack of competition to Intel isn't something that should be joked about, so I agree with your statement albeit with a dash less of serious business - pre sarcasm clear-up on part of the OP. The sage is so strong it's like weed smoke... intoxicating.

I'm getting to be a lot more chill than I used to be - back when I was a n00b I would have been quick to jump on the SAGE SAGE SAGE bandwagon.... lol
Lol! Hilarious example, yeah I'm not as bad as I used to be as well but someone has to do it or board quality declines. Been coming here since mid 00's, still love the place to bits.
Funny how we all age a little similarly in some ways xD Cheers

You skipped a few sentences before that last quote. They are promising CCLx version of the 28 core used in the demo. That 28 core was a Xeon workstation SKLx not an hedt chip. So, they are promising a workstation CCLx by the end of the year.

This is great news if you have about $10k to blow.

Intel promised a 28C HEDT by the end of year

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...-HEDT-CPUs-to-arrive-in-Q4-2018.307874.0.html

I also explained in multiple places (see for example this post) that the CascadeLake chip wasn't ready for the demo and Intel used a modified Skylake Xeon on a modified server board to simulate the coming chip.

Intel promised a 28C HEDT by the end of year

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...-HEDT-CPUs-to-arrive-in-Q4-2018.307874.0.html

I also explained in multiple places (see for example this post) that the CascadeLake chip wasn't ready for the demo and Intel used a modified Skylake Xeon on a modified server board to simulate the coming chip.

What a trash link. That one mentions the 28 core demo was an HEDT, not a modified Xeon and that overclockers could hit as high as 6 ghz. It is hard to decipher the trash article, but I think it said that the demo was a Cascade Lake-X.

Don't expect this to be less than $500. My guess is closer to $600 US.

7820x is $469 and you're being upsold on hedt features. I'd think it would be $429

The 7820X is also a mesh architecture which kills ST latency and gaming performance. This CPU will be faster in all benchmarks because of the ring bus implementation. The 8086 is already (roughly) the same price as the 7820, even though it has fewer cores.

The 7820X is also a mesh architecture which kills ST latency and gaming performance. This CPU will be faster in all benchmarks because of the ring bus implementation. The 8086 is already (roughly) the same price as the 7820, even though it has fewer cores.

But the platform in general is less robust. The 7800x is technically more expensive then the 8700k even though the 8700k is a better chip.

Lol! Hilarious example, yeah I'm not as bad as I used to be as well but someone has to do it or board quality declines. Been coming here since mid 00's, still love the place to bits.
Funny how we all age a little similarly in some ways xD Cheers

Agreed! Kyle can't be the only one here calling it how they see it. Even though I'm not an overclocker and soft af by those standards, I will always be hard for computer hardware lol

Back