8 a good operating system for HTPCs?

kent

2[H]4U
I built my HTPC/file server a little over 3 years ago:

Core 2 Duo 3.33GHz/3MB
8GB DDR2-800
64GB Crucial SSD / 320GB storage / RAID 0+1 4x1.5TB (2.73TB formatted)
Onboard nVidia 9400
BluRay burner (ancient now, never even burned one BluRay)
42" 1080P HDTV

I just added the SSD to it to speed up aging boot times and speed and I got to thinking about how pretty Windows 8 looks, is it a good replacment for Windows 7 on the HTPC side?

Will I still need my CoreAVC license for HD offloading or does Win8 do that now? Anything I should note?

Thanks!

You know, I was wondering the same thing. It kind of a toss up. The interface isn't really friendly enough for it, but neither is 7's default interface.

You'd need the Media Center add-on (free until Jan., though). But, I am not sure how the interface would work with a HTPC remote or anything. So, I guess a lot of it depends on the input method and your default media player (do you start with Start Screen or have WMC start at boot?).

It's very fast for booting, so it does make it more of a HT piece of equipment...

I just added the SSD to it to speed up aging boot times and speed and I got to thinking about how pretty Windows 8 looks, is it a good replacment for Windows 7 on the HTPC side?

I'd call it mostly a lateral move if you were just running Windows Media Center, like mine does and it boots straight into it, but because of the under-the-hood improvements things do seem a bit snappier. I say lateral because they changed literally zero from WMC7 to WMC8, just copied the code over basically. The theming and everything in WMC8 is still very much Win7.

And if you're driving WMC with a Microsoft or compatible WMC remote then there's still a wall between WMC and the Metro interface -- when they designed Metro they did not have HTPC's or Microsoft Remote in mind. However if you keep a wireless keyboard with an integrated mouse handy at your couch, I imagine Metro would have some benefits since its big gigantic blocks easily seen from 10' and everything's upsized.

Certainly worth experimenting with if you can get the upgrade for $40 or less. Plus the Netflix app in Metro seems more solid than the abandoned WMC version that was never allowed to play their HD streams.

I do use a Logitech K400. It's got a trackpad and keyboard in a lightweight package

I got the upgrade for $25. About to install it here in a few minutes

I purchased a copy of 8 specifically for HTPC experimentation.
I like the faster boot time, and I can see the "metro" screen being useful for HTPC start screen (after being DE-cluttered, lol)

I found the only way to boot directly to WMC was through reg edits, BUT WMC auto-starts BEHIND the metro screen, in the background. So you still have to <click> something to get to the media. hmmph.

I got my free WMC add-on keys. Does anyone know if these need to be installed and activated prior to the end of the promotion? I would assume I only needed to receive the keys during the promotion and can use them at any time... but then again, this is MS...

I really like the Metro UI and my flat-screen LCD.

I think W8 and HTPCs are a great fit, even more so with XBMC.

Now that WIN8 has been out for a bit, I thought I would bump this thread for any new comments :)

BTW, my HTPC is running WIN7pro, MyMovies, TMT3 (for HD-DVD and BD), AnyDVD, Virtual Clone Drive, and Soundgraph iMon.

I have a relatively vanilla HTPC - Win8 Pro w/ Ceton tuner. I have a single SSD for the OS and I use an iSCSI target on my 2012 box to store all of the recorded TV (connected via gigabit Ethernet). I find the modern UI is pretty good for a 10 foot interface. It's been perfectly stable since RTM (RC was iffy) and my CableCARD doesn't flake out like it did under 7 (which could have been a BIOS/driver issue for all I know).

Back