8.921.2 RC11 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Driver

HardOCP News

[H] News
Download the 8.921.2 RC11 AMD Radeon HD 7900 driver for Windows Vista & Windows 7 HERE.

AMD Catalyst update for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing and Adaptive Anti-Aliasing Preview support for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications:

• AMD Radeon HD 7900 users can now enable Super Sample Anti-Aliasing and Adaptive Anti-Aliasing through the AMD Catalyst Control Center for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications.
  • Applications must support in game Anti-Aliasing for the feature to work (Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center is not supported for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications)

Performance highlights of the 8.921.2 RC11 AMD Radeon HD 7900 driver:

• 8% (up to) performance improvement in Aliens vs. Predator
  • 15% (up to) performance improvement in Battleforge with Anti-Aliasing enabled
  • 3% (up to) performance improvement in Battlefield 3
  • 3% (up to) performance improvement in Crysis 2
  • 6% (up to) performance improvement in Crysis Warhead
  • 10% (up to) performance improvement in F1 2010
  • 5% (up to) performance improvement in Unigine with Anti-Aliasing enabled
  • 250% (up to) performance improvement in TessMark (OpenGL) when set to "insane" levels

Resolved issues: highlights of the 8.921.2 RC11 AMD Radeon HD 7900 driver:

• Folding@Home: intermittent stability issues have been resolved for the OpenCL version of Folding@Home
  • Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 no longer experiences minor flickering with Tri CrossFireX configurations
  • Dragon Age 2 no longer experiences minor flickering with Tri CrossFireX configurations
  • StarCraft 2 no longer encounters issues when quitting campaign with Tri and Quad CrossFireX configurations
  • BattleForge stability has been improved with Tri CrossFireX configurations
  • Improved stability when enabling / disabling CrossFireX and installing the AMD graphics driver on AMD CrossfireX™ configurations

Might have to try these out before giving up. Might fix my issues then.

i'm hoping to win an upgrade for my computah! :D stuck with dual 5770s :p

Wow tri-cross fire 7970!

I'd like to know what kinda power that has, and how much it eats!

Weird, still links to the original 7900 series driver.

Driver is still the old Jan 9th driver.. Someone needs to tell AMD to update the link or upload new driver....

Maybe this will resolver the power slider issue that had me reformat? Oh well, it was time anyway...

Don't bother downloading...yet. Link is still to the original 7900 driver.

Somone Tell AMD to please fix the Crossfire drivers for newer games in regards to the 5870... :cool:

Throughout 2012, AMD Catalyst will be a play key role in the life of the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series; it will deliver continuous performance enhancements and new feature support for the new architecture found in the AMD Radeon HD 7900 family. The AMD software development team has already identified a number of opportunities to improve the already amazing AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series. The first set of enhancements can be found in the 8.921.2 RC 11 driver for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series:

My problem is I want to believe it when they say these things, but they have said it before and they continue to be lacking in the software area. Also, they mention how they are now going to put all this effort into the 7900 series, but how about for their former series of cards? I own 2 of their cards and would like to continue buying their products based on their generally exceptional performance to price value. But I am quickly losing patience when the end results for games are subpar compared to alternatives. What is the benefit of paying less and having seemingly better performing cards...when they fall well short of their intended goal in regular use.

Honestly I like my cards and would like to move to the next generation with AMD as well, but I feel I have struggled far more with their support than I have with Nvidia. I got much more personal and active support from Nvidia, especially in their forums than I have with AMD. Now, if and when my AMD cards do finally get the right drivers, they seem to work exceptionally...but that is when and if. I have to say it is frustrating and all the lip service in the world is not going to matter if AMD doesn't start following through sooner than later.

"...already identified a number of opportunities to improve the already amazing AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series..."

but I have a Crossfire'd 6950's, can you give me a driver that doesn't give me BSOD or complete reboots from ATIKMPAG.SYS crashes? :mad:

They update drivers so often now, I don't want to update any more. And those "Hotfix" releases annoy the hell out of me.

I failed to mention earlier that AMD has posted new Catalyst Application Profiles (11.12 CAP 3) HERE. New profiles added to this release:

• Prototype 2: Improves single GPU and CrossFire performance
  • Insane 2: Improves CrossFire performance
  • Syndicate - Improves CrossFire performance
  • Costume Quest – Resolves image quality issues
  • DOTA 2 – Enables CrossFire support for this title

Going to be installing my 3 new 7970 cards tonight and i guess i'll start off with these drivers. Now i've been using NVidia cards since the ati 9700 card.. so i have no idea about Ati drivers anymore.. So basicly just install these drivers and i'm set or is there other stuff i gota install? Like what the hell is that CAP people keep mentioning?

Basicly upgrading from Quad 580 SLI/ surround vision to tri-fire/eyefinity so i can try to max everything out with 3 screens and run smooth for once in BF3.

Can anyone confirm that the new driver has been uploaded? The file name is still the same as the old driver. Why they can't have the version number in the file name is beyond me.

I am completely confused w/ AMD drivers. I am currently running the 12.1 preview drivers w/ my 6970
Toxic. Are the drivers released today much of an improvement or not?

Going to be installing my 3 new 7970 cards tonight and i guess i'll start off with these drivers. Now i've been using NVidia cards since the ati 9700 card.. so i have no idea about Ati drivers anymore.. So basicly just install these drivers and i'm set or is there other stuff i gota install? Like what the hell is that CAP people keep mentioning?

Basicly upgrading from Quad 580 SLI/ surround vision to tri-fire/eyefinity so i can try to max everything out with 3 screens and run smooth for once in BF3.

CAP is Catalyst Application Profile and is used as a means to generate CrossfireX profiles for games.

CAP is Catalyst Application Profile and is used as a means to generate CrossfireX profiles for games.

usually updates where driver doesnt contain CFX profiles for new games, so they don't need driver signing from microsoft.
drivers include all previous from the time of signing, but not after, to bypass this problem they release profiles (CAP) to provide support for new games.

Jeeezzz...they couldn't even get the correct drivers uploaded. The fail is strong with AMD lately.

Good news for 7970 owners though!

I am completely confused w/ AMD drivers. I am currently running the 12.1 preview drivers w/ my 6970

The new ones uploaded today are for 7970. If you are not on 7970, then don't use them. Continue to use the 12.1 preview drivers, per CatalystCreator.

Crysis 2 7970 Tri-Fire still negative scaling, Skyrim Tri-Fire is working Much better now, Im not getting massive dips in the FPS. Thats all the testing ive done so far. Should i still be using the Cap that was just released or Remove it?

Well Kyle informed that this was posted on Twitter

CatalystCreator Andrew D
The 8.921.2 RC11 driver is intended for AMD Radeon 7900 users, everyone else should keep using the 12.1 Preview driver

So 12.1a for 6000 series, and this driver for 7000 series. The mentioned changes in this driver are 7000 series specific.

Crysis 2 7970 Tri-Fire still negative scaling, Skyrim Tri-Fire is working Much better now, Im not getting massive dips in the FPS. Thats all the testing ive done so far. Should i still be using the Cap that was just released or Remove it?

Use the caps.

Yes you should combine any of the latest drivers you're using with the latest CAP released Jan 18

Looks like these give me an extra 2 or 3 FPS in the heaven bench. Going to test some games now.

Yes, ones released today, which they released twice due to error on publishing side, is better.

AMD driver's barrage goes like this.

1. Release date usually supersedes everything unless otherwise specified...usually on twitter or drive change notes. But mainly twitter lately so follow @catalystcreator

2. CAPS supersede WHQL drivers and generally work with all drivers in recent memory. CAPS also contain all profiles released before. CAPS have changes not yet in the drivers but changes move from CAP to driver which maintains the small CAP file size and while you can just install CAP after any recent driver.

3. almost always use the latest driver and latest CAP combination.

4. yes this shit is confusing as hell, hopefully they change that.

How many driver screw ups can AMD do?

at least 2 in a 3 month period so far lol

Thanks for the info on the CAPs! Fingers crossed that my new system posts tonight! haha.

Real quick.. whats the best program to use to overclock these 7970s? Afterburner?

Back