FAN: Noctua NF-F12 2000RPM

Spec 2
CPU: Intel i7 6700 (65W)
HSF: Noctua NH-L9i
M/B: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI
RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3000
GPU: 4GB Asus/MSI R9 Nano (6")
SSD: 512GB Samsung SM951 M.2
SSD2: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO Pro SATA (or 8TB Seagate Archive 3.5" SATA HDD)
ODD: Samsung SE-208B (external)
CASE: Lian Li PC-Q21B (8.5lt)
PSU: Silverstone SX500-LG
FAN: Noctua NF-F12 2000RPM

Last edited:
We'll have to see how High End the Nano really is, but other than that, yeah, it's rather easy. Not sure whether you'll need the fan at the bottom, but I guess it doesn't hurt.

Also why choose an external ODD when the PC-Q21 has space for an internal one?
Why choose DDR3, doesn't Z170 need DDR4?
Aren't there cheaper alternatives to the Stinger board with the same functionality?

And finally, if you want bang for buck, go for the 120GB Samsung SSD. Saves a bit of money and is still easy to handle as a system partition.

I think Nano should perform well cos it's virtually identical to R9 Fury X on the paper, and priced at US$650.
Q21 doesn't have any default intake fan, so it would be best to use the bottom HDD slot for 120mm fan instead if you are planning to use any gaming GPU. Q21 can still take another SSD or HDD even if you don't install any HDD at the bottom.
Choose the external CDRW cos its much cheaper than internal slim one, and also one less power/sata cables inside the tiny case.

But my mistake on the RAM, will need to change the DDR3 to DDR4 for the Z170 board. Only chose the EVGA Stinger cos other manufacturers like Asus doesn't seem to have any Z170 ITX mobo available yet.

Price difference between 120GB and 250GB Samsung isn't much tho, but if you are really low on budget then you should also use 1TB WD Green. :)

Last edited:
I know that, but I think ducting to the Nanos fan could be more efficient and maybe you don't even need a fan at the bottom because of how close the GPU already is. But yeah, you absolutely shouldn't place any HDDs in the bottom, that could get the GPU real toasty.

I think Gigabyte has theirs out as well, read something on the Z170 mITX thread.

Id wait on the other z170 itx boards. The stinger doesn't really offer anything better feature wise than a good z97 board. It's looking like the asrock board just became available in the euro market and the gigabyte boards should not be too far behind. DDR4 will be needed as mentioned and I do not think the stinger has a spot for the m.2 drive you want to use.

I went with the 256gb Samsung 951 for my OS drive and some room for apps and a 500gb 850 Evo for storage. I should have grabbed a couple 850s instead of 1 when they were on extra sale for a raid config. 2 together on sale was slightly less than the 1tb version.

heh I've changed DDR3 RAM to DDR4 already. :)
Sure you can use different Z170 ITX mobo later, but as you already know there aren't that many Z170 ITX mobo available atm and Stinger can support M.2.

heh I've changed DDR3 RAM to DDR4 already. :)
Sure you can use different Z170 ITX mobo later, but as you already know there aren't that many Z170 ITX mobo available atm and Stinger can support M.2.

Pretty sure the m.2 is key e only (wireless cards and such, not drives) best double check.

Very aware of the supply shortage, I'm fiending hard waiting to build my new box. The AS rock is pretty solid offering and just popped up for sale in the euros today. Shouldn't be much more than a week or so for the U.S. (I hope). I'll prob still wait for the gigabyte though it's hard as hell!

http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/111-SS-E172.pdf

Oh and try to go at least 2666 on the ddr4. Some benchmarks have shown there is a decent performance difference starting at that speed.

Last edited:
The EVGA Z170 Stinger does not support M.2 SSDs. Its M.2 slot is for wifi, bluetooth, etc.

What's the point of M.2 if you can't use it for an SSD?

I don't think bluetooth or WiFi need that much bandwidth.

M.2 is just a form factor and connector. A mobo maker could wire up a M.2 port to PCIe 2.0 x1 if they wanted, and Asus actually did that on the Z87 Impact.

It would be cool to see that build. Post pictures!
I have PC-Q29with 140mm FAN at the bottom. My card still reaches 80degC, but might not throttle. Besides the case is taller and it's close to the card. Are you sure you can fit the GFX and FAN?

It would be cool to see that build. Post pictures!
I have PC-Q29with 140mm FAN at the bottom. My card still reaches 80degC, but might not throttle. Besides the case is taller and it's close to the card. Are you sure you can fit the GFX and FAN?
Cool thanks, I will once I get the Q21 case and GPU, unfortunately they are not available yet.
PC-Q21 case can support upto 6.5" GPU so GTX970/960 Mini will fit fine(R9 Nano is only 6") and case can support 120mm fan at the bottom. http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q21

I just hope Rian Lee won't try to rip people off with the Q21 case, cos I thought it would be similar price to Lian Li PC-TU100 case, i.e. ~$170. But one local retailer told me PC-Q21 will cost ~$270! and I don't see ANY reason why Q21 would sell for ~$100 more than the TU100 case cos it would cost more to make TU100 case and TU100 case already sell for ~$100 more than the Silverstone SG13 or Raijintek Metis case which sell for ~$60 locally.

TU-100 is $115 on amazon.com and Q21 probably won't be more expensive. Retailers often have absurd prices when a new product comes out, i saw a retailer having the new Asrock Z170 itx listed for over $1000, so probably not the real price :)

TU-100 is $115 on amazon.com and Q21 probably won't be more expensive.
Hope you are right, and hope Q21 case is gonna be available soon.
Anyway, changed the mobo to Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI for M.2 SSD support. (its also ~$100 cheaper than EVGA Stinger ITX mobo)

If you add 1.5 liter, there a plenty of cheap options available. All those "cube" design easily fit a small gtx 970, which is plenty of horsepower for any gaming.

Back