8.1 Re-Installation Help

Blorgon

Limp Gawd
I used slmgr.vbs /dlv to get my Activation ID, then slmgr /upk <Activation ID> to uninstall the product key. I got the message saying I was successful.

The reason I did this was to change motherboards and do a fresh install, but now on my new installation, the product key is no longer working.

Running 8.1 Pro N 64-bit. Any ideas, or am I totally screwed and am going to have to buy a new license?

Call the Microsoft Activation line. As long as it is the same computer, and you're just replacing the motherboard, you should be just fine. Obviously state you're only using the copy of Windows on 1 computer and you'll get the activation code to key in. Future installs with no hardware changes will activate without issue.

Removing the product key in that fashion does not unlicense the PC on the Microsoft side.

Calling the activation line as suggested is the right move.

Removing the product key in that fashion does not unlicense the PC on the Microsoft side.

Calling the activation line as suggested is the right move.

Wait, so what is the point of doing what I did?

Yeah, I have a call scheduled for the morning, because my Office won't activate either.

[...] and you'll get the activation code to key in.

You mean the product key? The 5x5? Or are you talking about the Activation ID?

I already have the original license key, and that's the one that isn't working. I have a call scheduled with them tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

So I called Windows support, and they told me after checking my product key that the key had been locked. I don't know what that means, but they told me they don't support 8.1 Pro N and that I'd have to call my "local tech".

WTF?

I tried the activation phone line, for both my Windows license and my Office 2013 license, and on both calls, after entering the Activation ID, the automated response was that my product didn't exist.

Is there anything I can do, or do I really have to buy some new keys?

Use the automated system.

BTW, the N version is not a US product (not sure if you are in the US).

Use the automated system.

BTW, the N version is not a US product (not sure if you are in the US).

I wasn't aware of that. Yes, I'm located in the US. I guess that's the problem. I did use the automated system, and for both licenses I received the message that product did not exist.

So it explains the Windows license specifically, but not the Office license issue. Unless I somehow got a hold of a non-US Office license too...

Back