7MC and DXVA

Has anyone figured out how to get DXVA to work inside of Windows Media Center for Windows 7? I know you can get it working with MPC-HC but I really like the 7MC UI and not having to use a mouse/keyboard to navigate and open up videos.

Edit: I take that back. It does work, but I have to disable subtitles. Any idea on how to get this to work WITH subtitles?

Last edited:
Uh, am I missing something? Hardware acceleration works just fine for me in 7MC with CoreAVC installed (using an 8200 IGP).

As I stated, it does work except for when I play an mkv that has subtitles in it. Vsfilter auto-loads in order to display the subs and as soon as that happens the DXVA party is over.

Don't know, man. I play anime (MKVs with subs) all the time and they work just peachy. I'm using CCCP though.

Last edited:
I don't really use subtitles either but according to wiretap's guide (which was removed from here)

Preferred method: VSfilter
The easiest way to use subtitles within Windows 7 Media Center is through DirectVobSub (VSfilter). It works under both 32-bit and 64-bit, provided you download the correct version for your OS. IMPORTANT NOTE: This will kill hardware acceleration and default back to the CPU doing all the work for video decoding. Sometimes the 64-bit version is picky and doesn't want to work, so you may have to try some different versions.

Last edited:
i use cccp too, its basically just ffdshow with subtitle support and a few codecs. it installs mpc, and its just too easy to install and get going. it works perfectly with virtually everything with default settings

Crim, I also watch Anime with mkv's but I used Wiretap's guide. I'll give CCCP a try and see if that helps. I mean they work but my cpu usage gets pretty high. I wasn't able to play a 1080p video w/subs w/o stuttering so that's why I'm trying to figure this one out.

just dont forget to uninstall any codec you have first before installing cccp. cccp is a complete solution, you shouldnt need much else if anything.

Installing CCCP won't help you get DXVA working in Media Center. Heck, you should be getting it with the default Microsoft decoders.

Installing CCCP won't help you get DXVA working in Media Center. Heck, you should be getting it with the default Microsoft decoders.

As previously stated, DXVA is not working because I have vsfilter loading to display subtitles. I'm pretty sure that default MS decoders don't support subtitle tracks stored in an mkv. Hopefully there's some trick that CCCP does with ffdshow to load subs but not load up vsfilter.

Sorry, I meant subtitles.

CCCP and CoreAVC installed. In 7MC, I get subs and hardware acceleration on my 8200 IGP. CPU usage is barely over 15% most of the time. Without CCCP and CoreAVC installed, I'd be surprised if the videos even played smoothly on my quad core (which why don't. It's a slide show).

You can't have subs and DXVA unless you're using an external program like MPC-HC.

When vsfilter is inserted into the chain it forces software rendering as it needs to composite subtitles and video.

When vsfilter is inserted into the chain it forces software rendering as it needs to composite subtitles and video.

How does MPC-HC bypass vsfilter and load up subtitles and why isn't there a way to have wmp or 7MC do the same thing?

As for CCCP and CUDA, it definitely lowered cpu usage but not as much as when I have subs disabled. The quest continues.

How does MPC-HC bypass vsfilter and load up subtitles and why isn't there a way to have wmp or 7MC do the same thing?

Because it uses a custom renderer to draw the subtitles (as opposed to an additional filter) and a compatible decoder.

is there a plugin for WMC to use MPC-HC?

Or a MPC-HC plugin to make it have the 'remote' interface of WMC?

I think the trick here is to try to figure out how to load up the custom renderer using wmp/media center. I've looked into the filters that MPC uses and tried messing around with subtitlesource.ax and streamdrivethru.ax to no avail. Hopefully someone comes out with something in the future.

Back