7dbi router antenna set $10 (Dead Deal)

plinko

Limp Gawd
Radio Shack (in store, and online) has 7dbi omnidirectional antenna kits for Linksys routers on sale for 10 clams. I picked a set up the other day for my WRT-54GL and they substantially improve both Rx sensitivity and Tx strength. Awesome combination with Tomato firmware :D I can''t believe they worked so well!! These puppies usually sell for at least 30 bucks. It's not the Linksys brand kit, but they are identical in specs and performance.

sweeeet!! Going to get a pair tomorrow. :D This will go nice with my DD-WRT linksys setup.

Well, on my way home back from BBV, I stopped at RadioShack to see if they had any left. There were none in-store, but I ordered them and they should be here shortly. :D

will it work with dlink routers? :)

linksys uses TNC connectors, Dlink and most others use rp-SMA. I got a deal on a pair of sma 9dbi antennas on ebay, but not that good.

What I don't understand is how these improve TX strength. In order to do that without boosting transmit power, you need a dish or something.

Great deal -- when I went to checkout found shipping was free too so was 10.49 shipped after tax :)

linksys uses TNC connectors, Dlink and most others use rp-SMA. I got a deal on a pair of sma 9dbi antennas on ebay, but not that good.

What I don't understand is how these improve TX strength. In order to do that without boosting transmit power, you need a dish or something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Linksys use R-TNC connectors? That being the case, these would probably not work, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Linksys use R-TNC connectors? That being the case, these would probably not work, right?

Well I'm guessing that since the OP bought them and put them on his Linksys router that these will work fine.

if you don't want to pay for an antenna go here:
http://www.freeantennas.com/

you can make your own parabolic antennae with posterboard and foil tape a boost up to 10dB.

it's a bit more directional, and not as tidy, but it works.

Picked one up at lunch. The web-site is a bit misleading as it says that it has a TNC connector. The packaging says that is a R-TNC and that it is "Linksys-Compatible Works with select Linksys wireless broadband routers or access points". Considering that I paid over $50 for the pair on my router, this is a steal for my access point!

if you don't want to pay for an antenna go here:
http://www.freeantennas.com/

you can make your own parabolic antennae with posterboard and foil tape a boost up to 10dB.

it's a bit more directional, and not as tidy, but it works.

Yeah! I used the pattern from there to make a reflector for a 13" 9dbi antenna. http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

Just a note about that... it works well but not nearly as well as a manufactured dish (like double-curvature reflector with very small antenna). I think that the long, higher gain antennas used in these projects are collecting too much 'omnidirectional' signal to work spectacularly as a directional antenna (can't isolate the directional signal as well, too affected by other signals).

Picked one up today looks like they're in stock all over California... maybe I should get a backup pair.

To update my post,

These are much like the "Rabbit Ears" for old TVs. They give you the ability to aim and re-position your router to get a better signal.

So I guess these will fit my WRT54G?

Oh well I bit anyway, if not I'm sue I can find somethin' to do with 'em. :)

You can make it work on a router with a RP-SMA connector. I have a D-Link DGL-4300 which I use an adapter to make this antenna work:

TNC1.jpg
TNC2.jpg

And has it made a noticeable difference on the DGL-4300? I have the same router and would like to hear your results - thanks in advance.

I just picked up a set from the local Rat Shack....the sales person said he was getting mixed reviews from buyers on their performance. For $9, even a little boost is well worth the price. :cool:

If this pushes my signal to the shady spots in my yard, I'll be super happy.

Thanks for the heads up, headin to the shack today.

And has it made a noticeable difference on the DGL-4300? I have the same router and would like to hear your results - thanks in advance.

I haven't done a range check, but my computers/laptops upstairs went from low to good/very good signal strength.

Is that just a RP-SMA to TNC connector 2k3eblade? Can you get the adapter at RadioShack as well?

Well I had to make a trip to the local frys and bought the adapter.

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4660488?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Got mine this morning from UPS finally. :D They are awesome antennas. Fit my Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 perfectly. Running DD-WRT broadcasting 80mw, I can pick up even more of my neighbors wifi than with the old antennas. :p For $9, you can't go wrong.

I got mine friday or today. I'm not sure but it was shipped pretty fast. They look great. I have not tested the range yet. I did notice the screw on pieces are kind of stiff to turn but they do fasten tightly.

nevermind - figured out there is a ship to store option that is free!...

now it was just 10.65 after tax.

Back