79xx owners running Battlefield 3

stevelopez91

Weaksauce
Hey guys, today is 2/14 and that means the newest "minor" patch was released for Battlefield 3 PC owners. The patch is relatively small, fixing crash errors on Operation Firestorm and Canals, but for 79xx owners like ourselves, there's more to it! ;) 79xx owners supposedly should see greater performance after this patch, so I'd like hear from other owners if they've noticed any differences! Prior to the patch, my XFX r7970 black edition @ 1125 clock / 1575 memory ran everything on Ultra with no AA, and never saw FPS dip below 60. After the patch, I was able to turn on 2x AA without suffering much FPS fluctuation.I'd like to hear if any of the 79xx owners have noticed any differences, and if so how much?

You seem as excited as I am about this patch. :)
I actually installed it before I went to work. I get off in a few hours. I'll post my thoughts on it later after I've had some time testing.

Installed the update and. . . WOW! all 3 GPUs at 89 - 99% utilization not a single frame below 60, average is the high 80s. Smooth as butter at 5760x1080 on ultra.

Agreed. Probably a placebo effect, but I feel like the game plays even smoother now. :)
Playing on ultra at 1080p.

no this has given me A MASSIVE PERFORMANCE BOOST!!! WOW WOW WOW

7970 eyefinity feels like 15-20 fps increase!!

So very very happy right now

Make sure you delete your game folder from documents (back up first of course) then load up and redo all you keybindings and settings in one shot without trying game.

hit detection feels off now. Probably cause its way smoother now and i'm not used to it lol

Last edited:
Make sure you delete your game folder from documents (back up first of course) then load up and redo all you keybindings and settings in one shot without trying game.

hit detection feels off now. Probably cause its way smoother now and i'm not used to it lol

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by game folder?

The Battlefield 3 folder under My games in your documents. delete battlefield 3 folder then open up game in campaign and change all your settings to way you always use them then save only once then exit without playing and load up multi but don't touch your settings anymore. AMD gets stuttery on mouse turns if you change the settings alot. This was a similar problem with bc2

This update makes every single bench and score ever written about the 7970 BF3 obsolete

I didn't know that I accidentally turned on 2xAA and I am shocked how much of an increase this update has made

This update makes every single bench and score ever written about the 7970 BF3 obsolete

I didn't know that I accidentally turned on 2xAA and I am shocked how much of an increase this update has made

I can confirm that, X-fire 2560x1600 locked at 100FPS with rare dips to high 80's all maxed, 64 servers.

I can't wait for the new 7970 drivers to come out. The performance that I am gertting out of a single card on 3 screens is insane! I never thought I would be happy with just one gpu for 3 screens and this was the one only game holding me back. I think I am going to skip the Kepler SLI

2 gpus are a nightmare when a game is released and it has problems especial nvidia. dropping down to 1 card means single screen. All the problems with Crysis2 was a bitch and I hated Nvidia. AMD had crappy crossfire issues but at least you could play it on a single 6970 eyefinity

Glad to see everyone getting improvements! Remember to specify what resolution you're playing at too everyone. :cool:

5760*1080 and very happy. I never thought I could play the game butter smooth on ultras and highs

The Battlefield 3 folder under My games in your documents. delete battlefield 3 folder then open up game in campaign and change all your settings to way you always use them then save only once then exit without playing and load up multi but don't touch your settings anymore. AMD gets stuttery on mouse turns if you change the settings alot. This was a similar problem with bc2

No shit??

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the info!

omg gulf of oman rush. effects and textures ultra all else high. explosions all around with no stutter perfectly clear :D

Be sure to tell us if it helps. Most ppl with a 7970 that I have talked to said it does, some say it does not
Could be me just being overly excited about this new patch, but I think your technique yielded some better results haha; It just feel smoother. I just played a full match of conquest on Seine Crossing with everything on ultra and 2x AA, and my FPS was locked in at 60 for 95% of the match on 1920x1080. Only in a very select few areas would it dip to about 53. Seriously cannot wait for some new drivers to add on top of this :cool:

I'm running a 7970 and play Battlefield 3 on Ultra, but usually with 2xMSAA (not 4). My performance was always good, 60fps most of the time with occasional dips to 50. B2K maps were a little framier, tho, especially on ultra settings. Dips down to the high 40s, while rare, still happened. Still, mostly I was 60fps even on those.

My card is OC 1125/1575, I play in 1080p res, and my cpu is i7 2600k 3.4. oc to 4.2.
Last night, post patch, my performance almost never dropped below 60fps. Even on the B2K maps. The game just feels smoother now for some reason. Less framerate dips, and just a smoother feeling movement all around. I know that's anecdotal -- I'd love to see the big sites re-run their benchmarks.

Last night, after experiencing what I felt was a solid improvement in performance (but the card already performed well anyways) I bumped settings up to MSAA to 4x just to see. On Caspian Border (32 player) I was set to all Ultra settings, and was at 60fps ~90% of the time. I saw a few infrequent dips to 48FPS for a heartbeat here or there, but in general I stayed between 53-60fps the whole time! (I'm running vsync). Turning off Vsync just for kicks saw my framerate climb into the 70s at its highest points, but I'd rather use vsync anyways.

So yea, 4XMSAA performance sees a big improvement (for me). I'm actually considering leaving it on. That's the only setting I ever used to bump down from Ultra.

The other thing I noticed was my GPU temp. In all my BF3 gaming experience to date with this card, my GPU temps never exceeded 74 degrees. Ever. Even after hours and hours of gaming.
An hour of BF3 last night, and my card was operating at 81 degrees. That's pretty hot. Anecdotal again, I know, but if I didn't know better, I'd say DICE has found a way to utilize the card more/better/something cause it sure seems to be getting hotter now. It may also be because I changed from 2xAA to 4xAA.

Id like to see some hard numbers pre/post patch. I wonder if anyone is working on that or if dice will say what the improvement actually is?

Ya my card is getting hotter too. One major thing I noticed is the image quality is improved as well. The graphics look clearer more vibrant and sharper.

I play eyefinity so this update makes a really big improvement.

Considering we only have 11.12 drivers I think the performance of these cards will really go up even further with the new drivers.

Last edited:
Id like to see some hard numbers pre/post patch. I wonder if anyone is working on that or if dice will say what the improvement actually is?

They will say they were forced by AMD even though they favour Nvidia lol :rolleyes:

Could be me just being overly excited about this new patch, but I think your technique yielded some better results haha; It just feel smoother. I just played a full match of conquest on Seine Crossing with everything on ultra and 2x AA, and my FPS was locked in at 60 for 95% of the match on 1920x1080. Only in a very select few areas would it dip to about 53. Seriously cannot wait for some new drivers to add on top of this :cool:

More ppl need to know about this. I know of 2 ppl who bought a 7970 then returned them (they probably just wanted to test the card) After I showed them what to do they were shocked at the performance increase and wished they kept there cards lol. One card did 1170/1780 stock volts! I would have kicked myself if I gave that card back. These seem to be BF3 cards. Not many other games seem to need this grunt

hmm...i didn't realize this patch was bringing performance improvements. i only played one round last night after and that was on Metro which already ran smooth so i didn't take notice. i'll have to try out the B2K maps tonight since they are the maps giving me framerate drops into the 40's.

I would really like to know what they did in this update. I don't care about fps those are for ppl who don't own the gpus and want a way to compare to their own. I only care about smoothness and performance after all I am a gamer. This game update did something for my eyefinity system and it is significant. If it improved this much does this mean they can improve it more with more updates?

Did anyone notice the sun as being brighter than ever after this update? Specifically on Noshahr Canals. It was extremely bright around the containers underneath the train tracks. Blindingly bright.

Nice, Glad to see things like this. It makes the 7900 series seem even more desirable. I wonder if there are any 6900 performance gains. There is still the nagging MSAA issues on AMD hardware and I wonder if that was fixed on all 6000/7000 cards.

Anyway I hope Brent sees this thread and tries the patch on the next 7900 series review they have planned.

They removed the line if card = AMD then make with the slowly !! - Now if only work wasn't keeping me from having some BF3 fun.

Game runs the same, look at all these people ridden with placebo effect.

Game runs the same, look at all these people ridden with placebo effect.

NO

higher fps and a major performance increase. I and alot of others notice it. Do you even have a 7970 on very high resolution? Did you try the tweak I mentioned?

i just looked at your specs.....?

Last edited:
there's definitely more consistency in framerate. 4xMSAA seems *just* playable now on the B2K maps where previously i had to use 2xMSAA.

I dunno what they did, but It seems to help my 6970 as well. On 64 player maps I was getting 45-60 fps, I'm now getting 55-75fps. It rarely dips below 55 now, when before in heavy spam I'd dip below 50 much of the time.

i hope they release drivers soon, i just got my 7970 ordered, i want it working good when it arrives lol. COmon! get some new drivers amd

Back