7970 Hardlock in WoW with DX11

Pylor

Limp Gawd
Just curious if anyone else has ran into this issue at all with their 7xxx series. I'm starting to think it might be directx11 in general that's crashing me as it happens with total war: shogun 2 (and a lot of other people too apparently). After reformatting, taking pieces in and out, stopping overclocks, trying everything I could do to get WoW stable and not locking up, I finally just turned it on directx9 mode and it's worked flawlessly ever since.

Anyone else having similar issues? For whatever reason shoving it in my parent's computer with a 6 core bulldozer worked just fine for hours. I'm trying to figure out what exactly is wrong here.

Note that I've tried every driver from the RC11 one up to 12.7 beta which is what I'm using right now.

Yes, you cannot play WoW with DX11. Might be driver related.

Glad I'm not the only one (thought I was going crazy). Assumed it was a driver issue, and I filed a bug report about it.

I think the release driver (11.12) worked pretty well for me. I was also trying the 12.3, but can't recall if I had the issue (or tested thoroughly).

Planning on switching to DX9 on this news.

Here's hoping a 12.7 official/ 12.8 beta has a fix in it. Liking the improvement I'm seeing in more recent builds from AMD.

No problems whatsoever playing WoW with my Gigabyte 7970 HD and DX11 ... I have the settings literally maxed out and the game runs smooth as butter. Maybe it's your drivers? I'm using the 12.6 beta's from about 3 weeks ago.

WoW is the only game i play on a regular basis, but my 7970 hasnt given me any trouble with any game i tested on any driver version. I typically use the latest drivers. Do have a spare computer to swap that 7970 into to see if the problem still exists ?

edit: nevermind, i see you did that. instead of investing all that time into troubleshooting have you considered a fresh install of windows ?

WoW is the only game i play on a regular basis, but my 7970 hasnt given me any trouble with any game i tested on any driver version. I typically use the latest drivers. Do have a spare computer to swap that 7970 into to see if the problem still exists ?

edit: nevermind, i see you did that. instead of investing all that time into troubleshooting have you considered a fresh install of windows ?

I did a fresh install of windows before I actually swapped out the card. I had tried a lot of hardware and software changes to no avail, including uninstalling all .net frameworks, directx, and C++/C# redistributable, and adding specific ones back in. Just an FYI, the crashes were REALLY rare in full screen mode, to the point where I could play for 3 weeks or so without crashing (about 4-5 hours a week that is). Putting it in windowed mode really seems to kick the crashes into overdrive, or it could just be my personal case.

Like I said though, the game functioned just fine in my parents computer, I still have no idea why. My fresh install of windows had the same issue. I saw a thread about TERA having possible problems with hyperthreading and 79XX series, but I turned that off and it didn't change a thing.

No problems whatsoever playing WoW with my Gigabyte 7970 HD and DX11 ... I have the settings literally maxed out and the game runs smooth as butter. Maybe it's your drivers? I'm using the 12.6 beta's from about 3 weeks ago.

Well the game would play smooth as can be for sure, until the jarring freeze where the whole computer seized and kept looping the same two sounds over and over again (which always seems to magnify the sound 100 times).

I've yet to have a freeze in any other game besides WoW and shogun 2, which are (as far as I know) the only 2 directx11 games I've played extensively.

This may be unrelated but I had a similar problem with Starcraft 2 and an HD 6850. I found that increasing my page file memory on my hard drive / all drives helped with the problem you're talking about.

Not sure if that will help but also this is part of the reason I switched to nVidia for the most part... weird graphical issues like the one you say you are experiencing.

I had that problem with my 7970s when I was running them. I uninstalled the HDMI sound drivers for the video cards and that solved it.

Back