7970 Crossifre Review Guru3d

The article is showing up on the home page but it seems like they are getting too much traffic on the article or something.

I really hope they have crossfire and eyefinity #s there. They have done some crossfire reviews with only up to 1080p #s in the past. I was like WTF!! Who cares if yoru getting 140fps, show me how it handles higher resolutions. LOL

Thanks for the link Op but Meh, they are showing from 1280x1024 up to 1920x1200 mostly and sometimes up to 25x16. None of it is what I want to see. I understand most game at 1080p so I understand why they post the data they post but cards are getting too powerful for this to matter. If you want to max everything at 1280x1024 a frickin 6870 would do just fine. I could care less what a pair of $550 cards could do at that res. Why not show 1920-1080 up to eyefinity 1920x1080 x 3!!

Whatever :(

I hope there is a review showing overclocked performance with crossifire and eyefinity, that's what I'm really sallivating for.

what is the point of running two 7970's in crossfire on a single display? worthless review.

what is the point of running two 7970's in crossfire on a single display? worthless review.

its definitely not worthless. it has it's advantages and disadvantages but at least they aren't doing bullshit tests like 1680x1050 @ 4x AA/16x AF with no other resolutions like a lot of other review sites do.

but the one thing that sticks out the most in that review is the crossfire scaling which is pretty damn nice.

Amd really has their shit together with crossfire scaling these days, it's impressive. That said, even guru3d says the price is too high on these cards. @1920x1080/1200 and lower, where most of us play, these next gen cards are really becoming a waste of money.

Amd really has their shit together with crossfire scaling these days, it's impressive. That said, even guru3d says the price is too high on these cards. @1920x1080/1200 and lower, where most of us play, these next gen cards are really becoming a waste of money.

i think the price is fine, people are just to use to seeing AMD with bargain basement prices on their cards but this time around AMD finally has something worthy of the price they gave it. if anything you can blaim nvidia's AIB's for keeping the GTX 580 3GB prices so damn high which has allowed AMD to price match them while still having a 20% performance gain. also it leaves AMD plenty of room to lower the price and not hurt their profit margins on the 7000 series. its what nvidia has been doing for years yet no one ever complains about it. but the second AMD does it all of a sudden its priced to high.

I'll be buying a single 7970 for my AMD rig and that will probably be the last GPU I buy for a good while unless a large number of titles come out that it can't handle. It will be replacing a single 6870. I don't do MGPU. Yeah, that would be way more cost-effective and I've tried Crossfire many times. It always ends up annoying me to the point that I abandon it.

BTW Hardwareheaven did Crossfire @ Eyefinity resolutions-
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...ossfire-performance-review-battlefield-3.html

Last edited:
It is still pending whether or not Sandy Bridge-E will get Gen 3 support.

Doesn't SB-E have the lanes required to support PCI-E 3? Is there some sort of software update that needs to happen for this to get activated?

Thanks for the link Op but Meh, they are showing from 1280x1024 up to 1920x1200 mostly and sometimes up to 25x16. None of it is what I want to see. I understand most game at 1080p so I understand why they post the data they post but cards are getting too powerful for this to matter. If you want to max everything at 1280x1024 a frickin 6870 would do just fine. I could care less what a pair of $550 cards could do at that res. Why not show 1920-1080 up to eyefinity 1920x1080 x 3!!

Whatever :(

I hope there is a review showing overclocked performance with crossifire and eyefinity, that's what I'm really sallivating for.

My sentiments exactly. Worthless article, imo. They wasted time testing at all resolutions less than 1920x1080, and even that is almost a waste.

They also complain that the price is too high, but their MSI 580 Lightning award with a similar price got best hardware award and not a single statement about it's price.

i think the price is fine, people are just to use to seeing AMD with bargain basement prices on their cards but this time around AMD finally has something worthy of the price they gave it. if anything you can blaim nvidia's AIB's for keeping the GTX 580 3GB prices so damn high which has allowed AMD to price match them while still having a 20% performance gain. also it leaves AMD plenty of room to lower the price and not hurt their profit margins on the 7000 series. its what nvidia has been doing for years yet no one ever complains about it. but the second AMD does it all of a sudden its priced to high.

I know this has been beat to death, but the issue people are having with the price is the massive increase over the last gen(s) cards. It's no different than nvidia, true (which is also why I quit buying their cards), but it's still a hell of a big price increase. I mean, look at all the people who flipped the fuck out when Netflix raised their prices $4 a month.

The problem is when you create a perception that your product is worth X amount, and then decide to seemingly arbitrarily jack up the price, people are going to have a negative reaction.

I know this has been beat to death, but the issue people are having with the price is the massive increase over the last gen(s) cards. It's no different than nvidia, true (which is also why I quit buying their cards), but it's still a hell of a big price increase. I mean, look at all the people who flipped the fuck out when Netflix raised their prices $4 a month.

The problem is when you create a perception that your product is worth X amount, and then decide to seemingly arbitrarily jack up the price, people are going to have a negative reaction.

True, but...

AMD has this image of perf/$,
and this is not because they chose to sell their cards cheaper,
as has often been suggested, esp. with 5xxx.
Perf/$ image is simply a result of the de facto market situation.

We all know that in a free market, all the prices are the result of demand and supply,
and if somehow MSRP prices are wrong, dealer prices WILL correct this.
(look under card launch price gouging, for example gtx 560 ti 448 launch recently)

So... where ever prices settle, it's all good ;D as long as there isnt any foul play between the two.

It means I can finally play BF3 and other games completely maxed out at 2560x1600 and not fuck around.

It means I can finally play BF3 and other games completely maxed out at 2560x1600 and not fuck around.

I was thinking more i can finally play at 1280x1024 maxxed out!

Honestly though, the Guru3d review is just too archaic, back when gaming hardware was still new did Reviews like that work out.

It was just too wordy, comparing resolutions no one really uses anymore, and is just a Puke of graphs (the first seven pages could easily be trimmed down).

has microstuttering been greatly reduced in the 78xx and 79xx series, i wonder? I have been wanting to run crossfire for a while but scared away by the chance of microstutter.

I'd love to play at 2560x1440 but even if I could the hud becomes so tiny I can't see the map properly so I have to play at 1080p..

Back