7970 CFX with 3 monitors prob

Zuul

Gawd
Hey all!

So I am running two ASUS Radeon HD 7970 DCU II.

I also have three cheap Samsung 27" monitors with only 1 HDMI and 1 D-SUB connector on each of them.

I tried to run all 3 monitors from the top card with DP --> HDMI cables but that didn't work out too well. 2 monitors did show picture with the third one not reacting at all.

I tried different DPs on the card but at any given time only 2 monitors would work. (all monitors work separately and in pairs)

Is there somekind of limit on how many "adapted" signals can be sent at once?
I also tried a DVI --> D-SUB cable with the same result.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Are the adapters active or passive? You can have more than 2 monitors enabled *ONLY* if you use active adapters.

I'm using one of this:

GX-058-HS_44794_350.jpg

with one of this:

dvi-hdmi.jpg

Hmm, have you tried to run via lower card ? I ran my 3x7970 ( when testing) via first, second, and 3rd card across all 3 monitors - all worked fine.

However yeah, might be the adapters too ( I had 2 adapters dying on me for no apparent reasons)

Hmm, have you tried to run via lower card ? I ran my 3x7970 ( when testing) via first, second, and 3rd card across all 3 monitors - all worked fine.

However yeah, might be the adapters too ( I had 2 adapters dying on me for no apparent reasons)
I haven't tried that, but I got it to work by buying a DP --> VGA adapter because active DP --> HDMI was next to impossible to find.

Turns out that if running 3 monitors, you only need 1 active adapter while the other 2 are passive. It works ok but I get screen tearing on the DP --> VGA monitor when playing movies or games. Oh well I guess it's allright. 3 x 27" is waaaay too big for me to game on anyway so no biggie.

EDIT: So, if I understand you correctly, You ran 3 passive adapters, but 1 on each card, is that correct?

^ Unfortunately the screen tearing on one monitor will be there unless you use DP for all 3 monitors. Has something to do with different timings of each output.

OK that kinda sucks. And here I thought I could get away with it with these cheap-ass monitors. Serves me right I guess lol

Back