7970 and 7950 to arrive in January?

Yes, the 6900 series from AMD is just insane. My triple GPU's, if properly utilized, RAPE modern games. I mean rape in all it's graphical imagery.

Wait, so if the 79xx cards are rumored to come out in January, shouldn't the 78xx cards be out in December? I mean, the rumors have always said that the low to middle range cards will come out first. I too have a graphics card fund prepared for the 7xxx series release.

Yes, the 6900 series from AMD is just insane. My triple GPU's, if properly utilized, RAPE modern games. I mean rape in all it's graphical imagery.

If you spend $600+ on GPUs, it better RAPE any modern games

This makes sense. I've been saying all along that there is no way the mainstream or low end cards are coming first. You just need to be able to ship massive volume with those. They are going to wait until yields are even better. I could see them releasing mainstream in early Q2 and low end just after that and through Q3 of 2012.

too little too late for me - I was drooling for a 7870 or if prices were not crazy a 7950 but I wasn't goin to get caught with my pants down when BF3 hit and still sitting on a GTX280.

The thing you have to keep in mind is this is just a rumor, like all the other rumors you could be sitting around for the next three months with your dick in your hand only to be told "sorry it's going to be another few months"

I made my choice and picked up a 6950 2GB card and LOVE IT. If I ever need more power I can just toss another one in there but the important thing is I'm enjoying all the awesome games out TODAY. My work schedule and social life means I don't have all the time I want to game, so I have to get it when I can, and get it GOOD.

Don't get me wrong -- I think the 28nm chips will rock some wicked low powers consumption, and I hope they do come out sooner such as to push 69XX series cards lower in price.

From what I've read it seems like this next generation has emphasis on power consumption and efficiency than 100% pure performance. And when you factor in how much you'd save in electricty vs how much extra you are going to pay for the "latest and greatest" you might be surprised to see things pretty close.

I game at 1680 x 1050, I don't need a 7950, when are the 78xx coming out?

I game at 1680 x 1050, I don't need a 7950, when are the 78xx coming out?
It will probably be after January, because according to rumors, the 78xx and below are die-shrunk derivatives of Cayman. Since TSMC didn't have enough 28nm lines to produce CGN, shrink Cayman and fab the mobile GPUs at the same time.

I'm just waiting on the confirmed specs of the 7870. :D

From what I've read it seems like this next generation has emphasis on power consumption and efficiency than 100% pure performance. And when you factor in how much you'd save in electricty vs how much extra you are going to pay for the "latest and greatest" you might be surprised to see things pretty close.

oooh, then the 89xx cards will be fire spewing, wire melting monsters maybe

Would a 7990 be overkill for gaming at 1920x1080?

This is [H] so my default answer is no!!! The real answer is yes, but who knows you may want to try Eyefinity and then the answer would definitely be no.

I rather AMD improve driver support within the next couple months than a new card release. Guess I now know what's important to them and what isn't :(

Seriously, whats the problem with the drivers (other than the issues with crossfire/multiple gpu solutions)? I see complaints all the time about drivers and while Ive had an issue with a driver here or there, reverting to the previous good one which worked perfectly fine did the job. Im not sure how much of a performance increase people expect from drivers? Software cant increase performance as well as new hardware.

My main rig has been using ATI for years now, time to give Nvidia some love. When are their new cards due?

This is [H] so my default answer is no!!! The real answer is yes, but who knows you may want to try Eyefinity and then the answer would definitely be no.

Indeed. I'm planning on gaming on a single monitor set up at 1920x1080 so I'm trying to identify which card would be the best for me running everything maxed out like on BF3 and any other future games.

Would a 7970 be good enough or should I just go all out and go with the 7990. My current card is the 5870 and I've been saving and waiting for this moment for a long time.

Indeed. I'm planning on gaming on a single monitor set up at 1920x1080 so I'm trying to identify which card would be the best for me running everything maxed out like on BF3 and any other future games.

Would a 7970 be good enough or should I just go all out and go with the 7990. My current card is the 5870 and I've been saving and waiting for this moment for a long time.

I [H]ave considered your question carefully and I have bad news for you.

The only reasonable and prudent course of action in your situation is TWO 7990s in quadfire.

Rice and beans my friend.

Why not 7970 crossfire instead of 7990?

Seriously, whats the problem with the drivers (other than the issues with crossfire/multiple gpu solutions)?

I've rarely had a problem with either ATI or Nvidia. But recently I have been seeing a lot of posts complaining about Crossfire. I've never had dual videocards and was considering it for the next gen but if I do it will probably be SLi. I'll wait till reviews come out and some time after cause I always like buying when its on a great sale but if I do get a Radeon it will only be a single card.

durr! How about waiting till its out/reading reviews?

I am also looking at the 7970 to upgrade from my 5870. Basing on the performance of AMD/Nvidia GPU releases over the previous years, I can assume that the 7970 is about the same performance as the GTX580. So with that said, a single 7970 will not be able to max out BF3 (4xMSAA) at 60 FPS average, since the GTX580 can't.

I am also looking at the 7970 to upgrade from my 5870. Basing on the performance of AMD/Nvidia GPU releases over the previous years, I can assume that the 7970 is about the same performance as the GTX580. So with that said, a single 7970 will not be able to max out BF3 (4xMSAA) at 60 FPS average, since the GTX580 can't.

I don't know how you can make such an assumption. At high resolutions a 6970 can match a 580. I would expect the 7970 to easily trump a 580.

Hoping a 7970 rips a 6970 apart in mining. (don't hate)

Bitcoin mining has provided an alternative to running the heat in the apartment. My 6970 running at 83C keeps things nice and cozy. Not too worried about the temperature since mining keeps a pretty constant load unlike games that load and unload the GPU constantly.

The mining capabilities will just be a bonus since I love eye candy in games and while I can crank up to Ultra in BF3 with 2X AA, The Witcher 2 brings it to its knees with Ubersampling. Here's hoping it launches in January so I can enjoy what Cayman should've been.

Will it be a perfect card for gaming at 2560 X 1440 with games like Crysis, Bad Company 2 at high settings?

There's a rumor floating that 7970 (single GPU tahiti XT) will be ~= 6990 performance.

If that's true, it will be awesome.

I think a sub-zero cooled quad 7970 setup will be in order. Although, I think I might hold off a month or two to pair them up with Ivy Bridge.

I rather AMD improve driver support within the next couple months than a new card release. Guess I now know what's important to them and what isn't :(

moronic post moronic..........ATI has a monthly release cycle and promptly issues hot fixes, what else do you want?

There's a rumor floating that 7970 (single GPU tahiti XT) will be ~= 6990 performance.

If that's true, it will be awesome.

I would be shocked. Its been a long time since we have seen that kind of performance increase in one generation.

Back