7950X vs 7950X3D, which one and why?

I was expecting something a bit better.

Am I the only one?
I was as well, going to sit this gen out (for the first time since zen1). Total cost due to needing a new platform is too much given the fairly minor performance jump. If I get back into doing a lot of photogrammetry I could see making the move, but I don't do it enough at this point to really need the 16 cores and for gaming it's a pretty small jump from the 5800x3d.

Standing by the roadside and watching. Not too much excitement the way its going now. Wating for 7800X3D, see how others are welcoming it.

I had bought a 7950x from Microcenter last month with some EXPO DDR5, but returned it since it's gaming performance wasn't much better than the 5800x3D or 7700x. I am forcing myself to be patient for the 7800x3D. I am building from scratch and not upgrading, so I would rather stick with AM5. I've had a 4080 sitting in the box for a month and a half now. I think this F'd up market we live in now has lead me toward impulse buying, but I should be happy with the 4080. At the time, the 4090's were $800-1,000 more.

I have a lack of impulse control and I'm going to blame it on Capitalism. Gotcha.

I want to be excited about the 7800x3d. The 7900x3d and 7950x3d put me off as seemingly more of a kludge than a real solution. The need for a new mobo, with 4 options to choose between, and new DDR5 RAM, with currently mediocre performance options, doesn't inspire me. Feels like everything is a compromise this gen, or way overpriced for the net performance gain.

I'm not sure what all you 5xxxx guys going to 7xxx were expecting. It's 25-35% in benchmarks. We're not in the old days where processor speeds doubled in six months. Nobody is making you upgrade every gen. Stop your whining and wait for zen4.

I'm not sure what all you 5xxxx guys going to 7xxx were expecting. It's 25-35% in benchmarks. We're not in the old days where processor speeds doubled in six months. Nobody is making you upgrade every gen. Stop your whining and wait for zen4.
Well, I myself was expecting something a bit more fleshed out for 7900/7950x3d. I like to upgrade and my hand-me-downs will get used. It's just that usually when I upgrade I'm excited about it, this time feels more like a chore.

You have what is called upgrade compulsion disease.. get help.
I upgrade regularly. It's a shame that bothers you, or compelled you to talk down to me?

Your quip aside, playing around with new gear, building Windows images, driver testing, OC experimentation, etc, has helped me stay on top of IT trends and potential issues I run into at work. As a former IT technician, and current manager of a large team of technicians, it's an important aspect of my job. The only help I need is finding competent field techs that want to work and learn. I've dealt with plenty of people with smug, witty attitudes, like yourself, mostly in our intern program from kids right out of high school or adults trying to kickstart or transfer from a failed career. Their skills and potential to learn are often overshadowed by their attitude, which makes them unfit for for our professional environment, and likely their former job environment as well. There isn't enough time in my day to try and deal with someone that already knows everything.

The sad thing is if people did the math they would realize the time to upgrade is now. There is very little cost (buy new gear, sell old gear) - people are still all hot on the 5800X3D and AM4 in general due to FUD about AM5 that persists. I've made money moving PCs to AM5. It's stupid.

I upgrade regularly. It's a shame that bothers you, or compelled you to talk down to me?

Your quip aside, playing around with new gear, building Windows images, driver testing, OC experimentation, etc, has helped me stay on top of IT trends and potential issues I run into at work. As a former IT technician, and current manager of a large team of technicians, it's an important aspect of my job. The only help I need is finding competent field techs that want to work and learn. I've dealt with plenty of people with smug, witty attitudes, like yourself, mostly in our intern program from kids right out of high school or adults trying to kickstart or transfer from a failed career. Their skills and potential to learn are often overshadowed by their attitude, which makes them unfit for for our professional environment, and likely their former job environment as well. There isn't enough time in my day to try and deal with someone that already knows everything.

Congtradulations. I can only hope to achieve what you have in my next life.

Isn't the real goal for a gamer is to find the right cpu that can push the most powerful graphics card ( 6 or 8 core + 7900XTX or 4090) ?

And not the other way around.

I am just talking gaming only.

I did the opposite but I do some video editing and some gaming (hopefully more if I can find a game I like) so later on all I have to do is upgrade video cards and I am done. I prefer the 65w 7900 I can always flip a pull down PBO in bios and have a 7900x.

So if the 7900 generation doesn't float your boat, what kind of performance improvement are you seeking?

And, any idea when the successor to the 7900 generation will be available?

I'm personally on am Asus Rampage V extreme + 4090 + 5930k @ 4.2ghz

My main 4k games run fine at 117fps.

If I made the switch I would go
7950x3d
ASRock Taichi board (I need the 8 SATA slots)

My main hurdle to upgrade is I would need to get a 2/4 Tb M.2 drive to feel satisfied and be willing to do the big upgrade to win 11 or stay win 10.

I don't see myself needing the extra speed. Other benches show that I should be hurting at 4k. I don't see it.

If something comes up that bogs my system I'll go for it, but my system from 2015 with this gpu upgrade feels really smooth.

You got me wondering what I could resale it for though, I was just hoping for a more exciting motherboard and stuff.

So if the 7900 generation doesn't float your boat, what kind of performance improvement are you seeking?

And, any idea when the successor to the 7900 generation will be available?
Probably early 2024.

7950x3d

My main hurdle to upgrade is I would need to get a 2/4 Tb M.2 drive to feel satisfied and be willing to do the big upgrade to win 11 or stay win 10.

I don't see myself needing the extra speed. Other benches show that I should be hurting at 4k. I don't see it.

If something comes up that bogs my system I'll go for it, but my system from 2015 with this gpu upgrade feels really smooth.

You got me wondering what I could resale it for though, I was just hoping for a more exciting motherboard and stuff.
I'd check your 1% lows versus your overall framerate. You will be blown away by any modern platform. Save some bucks and get a Z690 and a 13600K if you want.

7950x3d

You really should upgrade your CPU if you got a 4090. I'm on a 9900K and I know I'd upgrade to fully take advantage of the 4090.

I'd check your 1% lows versus your overall framerate. You will be blown away by any modern platform. Save some bucks and get a Z690 and a 13600K if you want.

Oh how far we've come when buying Intel now means "save some bucks". Times have really changed.
Could also pickup a 7600x. Hardware unboxed showed that on average across multiple games, the 7600x is a bit better than the 13600k.

7950x3d

I'd reconsider that Taichi board. Go and read a review (that only got 2 stars) on MicroCenter website about the Taichi Carrara, they are basically the same thing internally. The three things the reviewer mentioned in his review is very important.

The sad thing is if people did the math they would realize the time to upgrade is now. There is very little cost (buy new gear, sell old gear) - people are still all hot on the 5800X3D and AM4 in general due to FUD about AM5 that persists. I've made money moving PCs to AM5. It's stupid.
That was my experience as well. Microcenter with STUPID cheap combo deals with free ddr5 made it a easy switch.

Sold most of my am4 stuff to the people clambering to hold onto the now dead platform. I actually upgraded relatively easily. One one system of 5 left that is still am4/ddr4.

If you are someone who sells your used parts, now is the time. Wait another 6 months and am4 parts won’t be worth much.

I also upgrade regularly and enjoy it. This is [H], not the budget builds forum. If you’re happy and it works then keep it. If you want to upgrade every cycle because you can, you want to, and you enjoy it, then do it.

Financially the switch from am4 to am5 especially if you have a Microcenter, makes more sense now than ever.

Last edited:
I mean, if it was 25-35% over the 5800x3d I'd probably do it, it's just not that much. The bigger allure is the gaming performance plus cores this time around, so that may still get me to upgrade.

I had a 7950X3D for almost 2 weeks, I traded it in for a vanilla 7950X and saved $300 (US) with a MB combo plus I got a game.
Why trade in, baring the savings alone?
  • I am a 4K gamer and saw absolutely no performance gain.
  • The drivers are complex and I am concerned about long term maintenance / game support.
  • The existing BIOS support is still somewhat unstable, should get better .. but when?
  • There was a performance drop in a few of my workloads.
  • The heat savings were negligible on average for my use case.
I am really happy with the 7950X

Oh how far we've come when buying Intel now means "save some bucks". Times have really changed.
Yeah, but that's the new reality. I just upgraded to an AM5/7900X and I expect to keep that CPU for at least 3 years. and then I'll just get the replacement AMD CPU model, and maybe upgrade my system from 64 GB to 128GB. ;)

Back