7950GX2 vs 8800GTS?

Rhyick

Weaksauce
How do these two cards compare? I recently purchased a 7950GX2 two months ago from eVGA, so I still have about 25 days left to step-up. I've initiated the process just in case, but I can still cancel when I want to. I don't plan on spending another $130 to upgrade to a 8800GTX, so I'm settling for the GTS instead. I know that the 8800GTS would be good for the future, but I'm debating whether or not I want to go into the hassle of swapping out the card.

So, my question is, how do the two cards compare? Does the new 8800GTS totally blow the 7950GX2 out of the water or are the two cards pretty even? Thanks in advance. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that I run at 1680x1050 resolution and only have an AMD 4200+ processor (not a C2D setup).

I would step up for the sake of being DX10 compatible. That and synthetic benchmarks (not really as good a gauge as gaming benchmarks) seem to have the two pretty close.

i know it will hurt buy just spend the little extra and go GTX..! you are going from a top of the line card to not (kinda).

Faction said:
i know it will hurt buy just spend the little extra and go GTX..! you are going from a top of the line card to not (kinda).
So you're saying that the 8800GTS is less powerful than the 7950GX2? If the two cards are pretty much equal, I'd justify the upgrade to just have the DX10 compatability, but if the 8800GTS is considerably worse in performance than the 7950GX2, I might need to just dig into my wallet for the extra $130 for the GTX. I wouldn't want to go backwards in performance just to get DX10 compatability. :(

The GTS is pretty equal to the GX2, in some games it even beats it by quite a bit (Oblivion, Company of Heroes).

I would go for it, its essentialy a free upgrade to DX10.

Flexmaster said:
The GTS is pretty equal to the GX2, in some games it even beats it by quite a bit (Oblivion, Company of Heroes).

I would go for it, its essentialy a free upgrade to DX10.

Thank you. That's exactly what I'm going to do. :D

And thats not even figuring in for overclocking. Apparently the 8800GTS is quite the o/cing beastie...

no offense...but dx10 means nothing without having Vista ...secondly...even assuming you did....there isnt a single game out there thats using it...and the only one im aware of that going to is Crysis..and thats not till this summer....8800 series are great cards...but if you have a gx2 now...save your $

[Retaliation] said:
no offense...but dx10 means nothing without having Vista ...secondly...even assuming you did....there isnt a single game out there thats using it...and the only one im aware of that going to is Crysis..and thats not till this summer....8800 series are great cards...but if you have a gx2 now...save your $
i can think of one that's out right now that will use dx10 - Flight Simulator X

but again, all that doesn't matter unless you have Vista installed.

another thing to note is that the 7950gx2 is running in SLI, meaning that at higher resolutions with aa and af turned on performance will not suffer. the 8800gts, as far as i know, is a single card not running SLi. but i do not know how well it handles AA and AF in high resolutions. perhaps someone else can add some input.

gobBobo said:

another thing to note is that the 7950gx2 is running in SLI, meaning that at higher resolutions with aa and af turned on performance will not suffer. the 8800gts, as far as i know, is a single card not running SLi. but i do not know how well it handles AA and AF in high resolutions. perhaps someone else can add some input.

8800gts can crank max settings in oblivion, with high levels of AA and AF with HDR enabled at high resolutions. :)

gobBobo said:

I stand corrected...i wasn't aware X was a dx10 game(never was into that series)...thx for the correction
:p

It never loses to it, sometimes it's faster, when you overclock it, it'll be a great upgrade.

Back