7950GX2 problem? Or something else? PLEASE help!

dborden

Limp Gawd
Please help.

I have a new rig put together. Gigabyte DS3, E6400, GSKILL 2 x 1GB HZ DDR2-800, 7950gx2, SB XI FI fatality.

I cannot get this system to boot up consistantly. Nothing is overclocked. During bootup sometimes I get strange colors and weird characters on the bios boot screen(seldomly). Mostly it takes 3 or so attempts to get booted in to windows. During the windows XP splash screen with the blue progress bar my system will just hard freeze after a few seconds. I have to hard reset and try again. Other times my system will blank out(like it always does right before going in to windows during bootup) but it will never come back and display the login screen. It just goes in to perma sleep mode after the xp splash screen. When I am able to get in to windows successfully the system runs perfectly and I can game for hours without any problems. It's like my graphics card is having random problems initializing during bootup and causing my system to freeze. I have an OCZ 600watt GameXtreme PSU.

I have reformatting my entire system and I am using the most recent 91.47 drivers. I have upgraded the bios on my mobo to the most recent(F7)

Anyone else experience these type of issues? My gut tells me this is a vid card or mobo issue but I just can't narrow it down and I have no parts laying around to test with. $3000 computer that doesn't work consistantly makes me want to throw up.

Man, check xtremesystems.org/forums and here - the DS3 is the most unreliable motherboard on the market. Many people have the same issue. Its not the GPU, it's the mobo. Make sure you have the latest BIOS

I have read through 1239087123897123 pages of threads at xtremesystems and have been highly involved in discussions there. So far I have yet to figure it out.

Back