7950gx2 loses SLI when overclocked, no temp readings

TheDarkTao

Gawd
Hey guys,
Well, I knew there was all sorts of bugs with Vista and 7950gx2 (sli of any form for that matter) but I am getting weird issues with XP 32bit.

If I install ANY modifiers I seem to lose serious performance. Ntune, ATItool, and Nvtweak all seem to make my 3dmark scores drop like a rock. I also do not seem to have any way of tracking my GPU temps. They do not come up with the standard nvidia display with coolbits....

I do not get this at all... I am sorta at a loss, if I ever try and overclock, I have to un-install all my drivers, and then re-install to get decent performance.

Any idea what this might be? Any 7950gx2 users wanna share how they have been OCing.... Or how they get temp readings... any help is much appreciated.

-Thanks... TDT

I know Ntune comes with "Nvidia Monitor" which is what I use to track my temps. BTW does just your score in 3dmark go down when you install a mod or does it do it in games as well?

I use ATI Tool 0.25 beta 14 that you can download from www.guru3d.com. I used this on my 2 - 7950GX2's that I just retired for my new 2 - 8800GTX's and it works fine with both cards to monitor the temperatures. Good Luck!!!. :cool:

I noticed that sometimes when I OC my GX2 it drops to one GPU for some reason. After an OC, my score will actually go DOWN about 3k marks.

Yup, that is the same thing that happens to me. My best guess is that I am only Ocing one GPU, and not the other, so SLI wont sync them since they look like different GPUs or sumthing....

I got dual temp monitoring to work. Should one cpu be between 15-20 degrees celcius different? :confused:

what did you use to OC ur 7950gx2?

I have always used rivatuner to overclock my 7950GX2's and to set the fan speeds, I had them running for a whole year without any problems at all, But I would never use Ntuneas it is a piece of crap. I can't think of what could be causing the one card to drop like that, it is very strange all I can ask is what power supply are you using. I used to have problems till I got my 1kx power supply since then I never had any problems. Anyway Good Luck!

Yea riva tuner worked for SLI stable overclock!!! But I cannot seem to get the fans to change, even in riva tuner... What settings did you use to get it to work? What card do you have?

thanks

Yea riva tuner worked for SLI stable overclock!!! But I cannot seem to get the fans to change, even in riva tuner... What settings did you use to get it to work? What card do you have?

thanks

To change the fan speed you have to use the low level settings instead of the driver level settings, below are links to pics of where to go in rivatuner.

http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lowlevelsettingsnl7.jpg

http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lowlevelsettings1rn8.jpg

Back